Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, guess you don't respect a lot of folks then Brad who by the way are really really good hunters, they just are different from how you see your little slice of elk woods and go about your business. Just a silly moral superiority thing you seem to have, sometimes called an elitest attitude.

The most common element in your posts Brad as I peruse 24HC that seem to be commonplace with you is when you let your emotional attachment to things cause you to start your passive-aggressive little barbs which leads you to lecture us all on Brad's rules of personal conduct while hunting or going about life.

It was a bullet discussion. Don't turn it into something else. Start a thread on Berger's discussing their limitations. I'll chime right in...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Over the years the Partitions under .30 that I've recovered have averaged 62.4% weight retention, and the under-.30 AccuBonds 67.2%. The over-.30 Partitions have averaged 86.3%, and over-.30 AccuBonds 78.6%.

My assumption is that the .30 caliber Partitions and Accubonds behave like the over .30 bullets with higher percentage of weight retention?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, the .30 calibers are designed to retain the same percentage of weight as bullets under .30, averaging somewhere in the 65% range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

The point was the above stated "526 yard shot" which the poster that made the comment feels is a limiter for a Partition in wind. I just frankly disagree with that. At that range, comparing an equal weight/speed ballistic tip to a partition, the difference in drift between the two will be around 4 inches. If you can't compensate for that you shouldn't be shooting at that distance, because regardless both are going to be way off target in, say, a 10 mph cross wind.

I've shot plenty at range in wind, and inside of 550 yards (which is pretty much absolute max I'd shoot at an animal) the ability to adjust a few extra inches isn't a deal killer.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot an animal in a 10 mph cross wind at 526 yards anyway. Farthest I've shot a critter was a bedded antelope at 548 yards, ironically, with a 180 Partition. There was no way to get closer, and the wind was blowing directly at me. I had plenty of time, knew the rifle, and could get a solid "nest." One shot kill. But it's generally possible to get closer. Much closer, which to me is what hunting is all about. But that's a separate discussion...

Lame.

Last edited by Higbean; 02/19/17.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks John, is there any difference in percentage weight retention between the 180 and 200 partition?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GregW
Well, guess you don't respect a lot of folks then Brad who by the way are really really good hunters, they just are different from how you see your little slice of elk woods and go about your business. Just a silly moral superiority thing you seem to have, sometimes called an elitest attitude.

The most common element in your posts Brad as I peruse 24HC that seem to be commonplace with you is when you let your emotional attachment to things cause you to start your passive-aggressive little barbs which leads you to lecture us all on Brad's rules of personal conduct while hunting or going about life.

It was a bullet discussion. Don't turn it into something else. Start a thread on Berger's discussing their limitations. I'll chime right in...

Talk about reading something into something that isn't there. You're obviously too thin skinned to have an honest and open exchange of ideas and PERSONAL preference.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks mudhen. Maybe I'll give them a try again. I've heard the AB likes to be backed off the lands more than the partition as well. The sub par accuracy was probably my fault, since I ran them close to the lands, like I do with the partitions....

They are good Bullets. I kinda went back and forth for years but the last 5 years have seen a lot of ABs in camp. They work and yup, they want some jump.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, they retain about the same percentage. Or at least they do in "media." I've never recovered a 200 from an animal, but have recovered several 180's. Did have one 200 stay in an elk, but it was a lengthwise shot and never found it, though from the wound channel knew it penetrated at least 4 feet.

Once put a 200 into the big shoulder joint of a 6-point bull standing quartering to me 75 yards away. It broke the shoulder, went through the chest cavity, and exited at the rear of the ribcage on the far side.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Guess I'm a backwards person,I only care about the bullet penetrating and expanding.

Unless it's on a rabbit in which case 'hydraulic displacement' is the ballistic mechanism of choice.
grin
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks mudhen. Maybe I'll give them a try again. I've heard the AB likes to be backed off the lands more than the partition as well. The sub par accuracy was probably my fault, since I ran them close to the lands, like I do with the partitions....

They are good Bullets. I kinda went back and forth for years but the last 5 years have seen a lot of ABs in camp. They work and yup, they want some jump.

I know, I've seen your targets posted on the Nosler site. Thanks again Scotty...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The rifleman makes the rifle, not the reverse.

Partly true. A good rifleman can compensate for a crappy rifle or a subpar bullet, but then again he normally won't have to because you seldom see a good rifleman using either one. One thing a good rifleman always does is optimize his rifle and ammo. Besides, we're talking about bullets, not rifles.

And I'd still rather learn the drift of a Partition than put my faith in a tinfoil bullet. But that's me.

IMO for smallish game like Coues or pronghorns at longish distances, placement is more important than using a "premium" bullet. For a shot like that, IMO it's best to use the bullet you've been banging steel with all year than to think you need a "premium."

There are some pretty good hunters here who regularly kill game with those tinfoil bullets.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

IMO for smallish game like Coues or pronghorns at longish distances, placement is more important than using a "premium" bullet. For a shot like that, IMO it's best to use the bullet you've been banging steel with all year than to think you need a "premium."

There are some pretty good hunters here who regularly kill game with those tinfoil bullets.

I agree with that, but I'm speaking for myself and what I hunt... I just don't believe tinfoil bullets have any place place on elk. Should have made that more clear.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The plastic tip is driven down the center of the lead and forces it apart...

Correct. Nosler tip inserts are in part specifically designed to initiate expansion by splaying the forward section.

The inserts have a conical/wedge shaped design mid-section to facilitate the process.

Originally Posted by Pappy348

Mule Deer has written that the plastic tip generally doesn't drive down the middle, but rather veers off to the side..

Well someone better call Nosler and tell them they are wrong. The tips part company only after they have been driven
back some to initiate expansion. Then as expansion continues, material that once secured the tip in place will move away
and release the tip.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's elemental, actually. A PT is made for the tip to expand and the base is made to hold together and give deep penetration. An AB is made to explode. The plastic tip is driven down the center of the lead and forces it apart. It opens up much faster than a PT.

No sir, it's not.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole

I agree with that, but I'm speaking for myself and what I hunt... I just don't believe tinfoil bullets have any place place on elk. Should have made that more clear.

Which "tinfoil" bullets have you used on elk Brad? What experiences have led you to have such a negative opinion of their performance?

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I have seen leads me to believe that for my type of hunting those tinfoil bullets will do just fine. Shot and killed a few things with partitions, those are really nice though for most guys. Really nice.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's elemental, actually. A PT is made for the tip to expand and the base is made to hold together and give deep penetration. An AB is made to explode. The plastic tip is driven down the center of the lead and forces it apart. It opens up much faster than a PT.

No sir, it's not.

If I understand Nosler's statement on their NAB, they were designed to have terminal performance much like the NPT, but with a sleeker shape, better B.C.'s for LR shooting.

And, when JG speaks about NAB's, listen. It's not theory...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had two instances where Nosler Combined Technology slugs (partitions) hit a rib going in on elk and never touched the far side of the body cavity. Both were 30 caliber 180 grainers starting out at about 3,400+ ft per sec from a Weatherby 30-378. I think that's just a bit too fast for that construction. Both bulls died within a few feet shortly there after, so I can't say they were inadequate.

1Minute
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
I have had two instances where Nosler Combined Technology slugs (partitions) hit a rib going in on elk and never touched the far side of the body cavity. Both were 30 caliber 180 grainers starting out at about 3,400+ ft per sec from a Weatherby 30-378. I think that's just a bit too fast for that construction. Both bulls died within a few feet shortly there after, so I can't say they were inadequate.

Isn't the Combined Technology bullet essentially a black NBT with a silver tip, not a Partition?

IME, it's an art matching velocity with bullet construction. A great bullet at 2,800 fps, may be a terrible bullet at 3,400 fps.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There was also a Combined Technology Partition Gold for a little while, with a little steel cap on top of the rear core like the Fail Safe.

Don't recall using Partitions driven any faster than 3300 fps in any rifle, but never have had a problem. As mentioned earlier, a hunting partner used a .257 Weatherby with 120 Partitions to kill a good 6-point bull elk in 2012. The range was about 150 yards and the bullet went broadside through the ribs and exited. He used Weatherby factory ammo, and the 120 load is listed at 3305 fps.

A good friend here in my little town used 130 Partitions handloaded to 3400 fps in his .270 Weatherby for several years. They worked fine, but when AccuBonds came out he switched to them, because they shot more accurately in his rifle. He's used them on a number of animals, including his biggest bull elk, taken with a frontal shot.

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 41 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.