-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two coats of Hornady's One Shot followed by a coat of Kiwi natural.

Works with Acraglas and polyester resin too.

Dan

Last edited by Dantheman; 02/17/17.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since a bottle of Brownell's release liquid costs about $6 and lasts for dozens of AcraGel/AcraGlass bedding jobs, I can't see the value in using an alternative release agent.

I was at Browell's retail store in Grinnell, IA, yesterday and bought a bottle 'cause I plan to do some bedding in the next couple of weeks.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I do my fair share of bedding long guns but doing a good many scope mounts I've really been experimenting with bedding lapped rings and also bases. I've found that the harder waxes do best if you're going buff them. I like the softer waxes if I'm not buffing. For instancre, I have 25-year old can of carnuaba car wax that is very hard in the can. I smear and buff two coats. On the other hand I like to use Johnson's paste floor wax which is very soft and "liquidy" and I do not buff. I've used it wet and dry and it works equally well.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The volatile additives in Johnson's paste wax also make it great for removing uncured epoxy from places you don't want it, such as your hands or the fingerprint that managed to somehow get on stock. lightly rubbing Johnson's paste wax on even semi set up epoxy will soften it and make it easy to remove.

For this reason, I make sure to let the paste wax dry throughly prior to bedding- so that those volatile agents are not present to affect the final bedding job.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tcp
The volatile additives in Johnson's paste wax also make it great for removing uncured epoxy

Good tip and it might explain why some bedding jobs take so long to fully cure. I thought it was from out dated bedding compound but may be the still wet wax.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Since a bottle of Brownell's release liquid costs about $6 and lasts for dozens of AcraGel/AcraGlass bedding jobs, I can't see the value in using an alternative release agent.

I was at Browell's retail store in Grinnell, IA, yesterday and bought a bottle 'cause I plan to do some bedding in the next couple of weeks.

When I bought this can of Johnson's paste wax, I think it was about $5-6 also..

I still have over half a can left, and since I've used this now for 18+ years it should last me another 18 - if I live/wanna work that long.. And I bed probably 25-30 rifles/year - at least.. laugh laugh

Last edited by Redneck; 02/20/17.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

When I bought this can of Johnson's paste wax, I think it was about $5-6 also..

I still have over half a can left, and since I've used this now for 18+ years it should last me another 18 - if I live/wanna work that long.. And I bed probably 25-30 rifles/year - at least.. laugh laugh

You're obviously more frugal than I am.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use T-Lube plus from Certified Labs. This is an eighty percent Teflon spray that drys with a very light white film. Super easy clean up when done and nothing sticks to that Teflon!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I wax EVERYTHING I don't want it to stick to.

I still maintain epoxy is most closely related to dogshit. It'll go everywhere you don't want it and the more you try to clean it up the worse it gets.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Keep practicing. We don't mask anything anymore. Got it down to where it's a real clean process. I don't even get it on my hands anymore. For release I don't use anything that leaves a visible residue or liquid of any kind. No sprays. All products like that show up in the bedding and interfere with getting an exact casting of the action. What ever I use has to still work when buffed off best I can.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.