Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've had this Ultramax "remanufactured" ammo for several years. I remember I bought 2 cases and took a few of the last boxes to the farm today to shoot several pistols. I've never had a problem with it until today.

I was about halfway through the 2nd box and was shooting my Glock 17 at the time. Felt a burst of gas on my offhand and the mag blew out of the bottom. Scared me to death.

I put it away and shot rifles for awhile. I noticed when I was about halfway home that my wedding band was missing. No way it slipped off my finger - I never take it off and it's pretty tight. I need to go back and see if I can find it so I can see what happened to it. Anyway....here's a few pics.

The pistol seems to be fine - it was locked up, but I got it apart and the case removed after I got home.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When it's remanufactured ammo, it's on the ammo, not the gun.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Definitely the ammo. I guess a double charge or something. I had shot almost 2,000 rounds of it without a hitch. I think I have 2-1/2 boxes left now. And I won't be shooting them. LOL.

Another pic.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You find your wedding band?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No. I didn't know it was missing until I was 45 minutes out and it was getting dark. I will go back - maybe this weekend. I can't think of anything else I did down there that would have caused me to lose it. I did clean up the workshop and hauled a pickup load of junk and trash out of there. But I think it would have torn my finger off if it got caught on something.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Crazy. I hope you find it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years back I posted a very similar looking occurrence I had with factory Federal ammo and a 1911, main difference being the top end had to be discarded.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you are ok, sure you will get the gun in shape. Hope you find that ring. I might contact the ammo co.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Glad you're ok!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had a similar experience with an old box of reman ammo and a CZ75. Blew the mag out, split one grip panel and locked up the gun. I thought maybe an incomplete crimp allowed the bullet to get pushed back into the case raising the pressure. No permanent damage to me or the gun thankfully. Glad you were unscathed too.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Several years back a friend brought by his son's 9mm pistol (maybe a Smith, no sure, doesn't matter anyway) wondered if I could fix it...seems it had a bullet stuck in the barrel. They'd been shooting 9mm remanufactured stuff....almost sure it was the same brand.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the bullet pushes back in feeding, pressures can go way up. I bought some Independence ammo in .45 a few years ago and the stuff had significant setback problems. Luckily no damage or problems, just misfeeding.

The bullet must be a tight fit in the case, and must be firmly crimped, for semi-auto pistols.

Once you get the gun fixed, you might go somewhere safe and cycle a few rounds by hand, measuring the OAL of the rounds before & after. If the bullets are setting back, that's a serious problem.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Contact Ultramax and tell them that they owe you a new Wedding Band.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't imagine the ring being blown off and you still have the ring finger unharmed and still on your hand

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I went back and found my ring. It was unrelated to the ammo blow-up. So now I had 2 mysteries occur in one day. LOL.

Had the Glock with me, but didn't have a chance to shoot it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aliens!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had many Glocks, I currently own a G20 and a G22 they are both great pistols. That being said about 4 years ago I had a kaboom in the 20. Shot the mag out, powder burned my hand, destroyed the lower, upper was fine. Sent it off to Glock. I was shooting Kentucky State Police surplus Federal ammo. Glock replaced the lower.
I now run KKM barrels in any Glock I shoot. Still love the gun, but not the incomplete supported chambers on factory barrels.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i keep looking at that picture, and my thoughts only.
doesn't look like a spec of lubrication, it's pretty dry.
that casing looks like its sticking out quite a ways.
which would make me remove the barrel from the gun, and put one of those rounds in the chamber, and see if it fits properly.
the other is crud buildup, particularly in front of the kind of square back of the barrel. a glock can fire out of battery if the slide doesn't go all the way forward. Translated, i am pretty sensitive to keeping that area pretty clean.
I would want to see a new round stuck just in the barrel, with it removed to see if it's fitting the way it's suppose to.
I managed to blow up a model 23, due to a squibb load. My fault, not the guns. It cracked the barrel, and blowed the mag out, and cracked the slide. Didn't hurt me, other than what i left in my shorts. A new slide and barrel and gun is still working.
I eventually went to KKM barrels on all glocks just they protected that casing a lot better than the factory barrel.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/21/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

which would make me remove the barrel from the gun, and put one of those rounds in the chamber, and see if it fits properly.

It's common to see that with case blowouts. It doesn't mean the gun fired "out of battery", it means the pressure was high enough to continue blowing the case web out as the action unlocked. The case may have originally fit the barrel correctly, but won't go back in all the way after blowing out the web.

Also, regarding "firing out of battery" - YMMV but I've never encountered a Glock that would fire without the barrel completely locked to the slide, meaning the case has to chamber completely. There is a small amount of fore-aft movement where the slide and barrel remain locked together, and a smaller portion of that where a Glock will fire without being all the way forward, but that's it. If a Glock will fire outside of those conditions, there's something seriously wrong with the gun. Don't believe me though, try it on your own guns.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/21/17.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i keep looking at that picture, and my thoughts only.
doesn't look like a spec of lubrication, it's pretty dry.
the other is crud buildup, particularly in front of the kind of square back of the barrel. a glock can fire out of battery if the slide doesn't go all the way forward. Translated, i am pretty sensitive to keeping that area pretty clean.
I would want to see a new round stuck just in the barrel, with it removed to see if it's fitting the way it's suppose to.
I managed to blow up a model 23, due to a squibb load. My fault, not the guns. It cracked the barrel, and blowed the mag out, and cracked the slide. Didn't hurt me, other than what i left in my shorts. A new slide and barrel and gun is still working.
I eventually went to KKM barrels on all glocks just they protected that casing a lot better than the factory barrel.

It was lubed on the frame rails. Clean as a whistle before I started firing, and I had fired maybe 2 mags full through it. Definitely not a dirty gun. Not sure what you're seeing. But I have fired my Glock 19 VERY dirty and never had a hiccup. They usually go and go.

I've never run Glocks wet like my AR15's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 30 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.