Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thought I would work one up & try it on either the Shiloh or the High Wall.

Does someone make either a complete sight ready to install, or maybe slotted blank, ready to accept the penny?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll have to either buy another front sight and pull the blade, or pull the blade in the sight on the rifle. File the penny down so it's the same height of the blade put it back in the slot and stake it down.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Remember to use an old penny. The newer ones have less copper, the newest ones are simply copper clad zinc. Mine is a 1976.

Until I was shown the difference between the nickle-silver and a copper penny, I would have bet money that the white metal of the factory blade would show up better.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Try using a sliver (pre64) dime. I have a Winchester M 92 that has a front blade made from a dime, looks great.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Try using a sliver (pre64) dime. I have a Winchester M 92 that has a front blade made from a dime, looks great.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Id like to see pics of both! 4-5 years ago on ebay there was a dandy Lib. dime front sight! I wanted it,I stoped a 90.00I think it went over a 100.00 Plus not good to be drinking while on ebay!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I vaguely remember my Dad making a coin front sight when I was a kid. I think it was a nickel on a SAA, but not sure.

Cool thread. I'd like to see some pictures too, please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have purchased old dimes at the coin shop and made front sites for some of my old muzzleloaders and the ones I have built lately. I like longer front sites but I don't want to cut up a silver dollar to get them. I can buy 6 front silver blade sights for what the coin shop wanted for a old silver dollar. smile

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Patrick,

Track of the Wolf offers some base blanks.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/874/1

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Go down to your local coin shop and buy an old Indian head penny. It won't cost much and you can shape the sight with the Indian visible. Way better for the vintage type guns.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Pics would be very nice....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think sandwiching a sliver of bone ivory betwixt the copper coins would be the whip.

A fine drill in a couple spots and some thin gauge wire to hold it together would do the trick.

Not that I wasn't thinking of this for my ml build.....

(Although I'm not sure I want Abe on my gun)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
I think sandwiching a sliver of bone ivory betwixt the copper coins would be the whip.

A fine drill in a couple spots and some thin gauge wire to hold it together would do the trick.

Not that I wasn't thinking of this for my ml build.....

(Although I'm not sure I want Abe on my gun)

Use the Indian head, or two silver dimes.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sandwiching all those coins would make a terribly thick front sight.

www.historicshooting.com
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Sandwiching all those coins would make a terribly thick front sight.

Filing off the tail face to half width.

I'm working on a model...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I used a pre 82 penny on my 45-2 7/8 .345" tall. "In God We Trust" up.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pat-
Here's the front sight on my Shiloh. The base is an original Shiloh, with the penny piece replacing the factory steel blade.
[Linked Image]
I like it very much. When there's any kind of light from behind with the shooter in position, the top of the blade glows about like a fiber optic.

I prefer the copper color to silver. One of my muzzleloaders had a very elegant sterling silver front sight that worked great in a green forest or grassland. But, in a winter ML match it became completely invisible against a snowy background and a white target. Because snow is not an unusual feature of the landscape in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I switched it out for a bright copper front sight. I whittled it out of an Australian two-cent piece which is a somewhat wider than a US penny.

Based on extensive experience, the gunwriters of the 30s and 40s wrote glowing praises of the Redfield Sourdough front sight base with its brass face.

PM incoming.
--Bob

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice, on your front sight!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've shaped the pennies from half round like Ranch13 to this one and think I got the back of the blade a bit too vertical here. In poor light, this one appears as a black post and doesn't glow like they do with more radius. In good light, the very top back of the blade does glow nicely.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 77 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,311
Posts18,449,194
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.