Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was planning on 5 hogs. If I go small maybe 8 to fill the freezer. I do want a large boar for the skull. Maybe just take the tenderloins and choice cuts on that one.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree with the guys that say any size pig is good. Bigger, over 200lb pigs bring more per pound than smaller ones. These are bought for sale mainly to restaurants. When skinning; hang head down, skin, cut head and feet off, then gut. Beg, borrow or steal a reciprocating saw and quarter if you can soak these in near freezing water over night do so. You might want to add a little salt or vinegar to the water. Cook as you would store bought pork, bearing in mind that they might have less fat.

As far as shooting, bear in mind that 90% of a pig's vitals are between its shoulders. Almost any shot behind the shoulder is a 'gut shot.' Google Texas Boars and learn. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not my experience on Boars. Most have been good but you get hold of a lusty one and you will ooze hog pheromones for days after eating some. This will not enhance your love life or general popularity.

I like to shoot the little shoats and BBQ them whole. Almost any size sow will be good. Boars smaller is better but no guarantee in my experience. Feral hog and venison make great lean sausage with more flavor than domestic pork. You can get bacon from feral hogs during pecan or acorn season and it is really good more like the Cajun greeades than standard bacon.

Chill them as fast as you can. Dowsing with hot water can make skinning easier and it will make the fleas jump off if they have them. I have heard of others spraying with rubbing alcohol for the same reasons. Some areas have the fleas bad and others none at all.

Good Luck and enjoy Tejas.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The small ones are as good to eat as it gets. We killed some grown sows once and ground most of it into sausage.
The sausage was too tough to eat.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Stay with the 100 lb pigs. Do wear gloves. Quarter up and get on ice fast. We have killed 400 in the last 5 yrs, 200 lbs rare in west Texas. 150 more the norm. Take pics to post. You need a 4x12 Redfield to shoot them with.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Meat for the freezer
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The story:
As usual I ran out of time and Jan isn't the best time to zero guns in WY/MT. I loaded up extra rounds to zero everything there and set off for TX. Zeroing the Marlin 356 Win went OK except the Bushnell Holo Sight doesn't show up well at all during overcast days. I'm guessing not to well in sunlight either. The Desert Eagle started out OK but then developed a hiccup. The action would stick shut and one of the barrel lugs had some peen marks on it. That evening I took the peen marks off with a chain saw file and it worked good enough to get the pig. However it did start sticking again and I noticed the peen coming back. It is 25+ yrs old and may need new recoil springs. The Super Redhawk had no issues as did the 760 pump in 308.
The Husky was another story. This is a commercial push feed action (mdl 3000), that I picked up with a cracked trigger guard. I had JB Welded the guard, filed, sanded and painted it. Only to have it recrack while tightening the action screws. Seems there is stress somewhere in there and I didn't have time to figure it out before I left, so I went with a cracked trigger guard. The first time I pulled the trigger I got a blast of gas in my face. Fortunately my large and bulbous nose blocked most of the debris from doing more damage to my face. Eye protection works!! My nose was peppered with carbon and I had 2 small pin holes that were starting to bleed. After pretending to be a man and ignoring my injuries, I beat the bolt open and pulled it to the rear. The case remained in the chamber, but I could see the primer pocket had doubled in size and the primer was missing. I set that one aside and we blasted rocks with my buddies very heavy M1A.
Back at the ranch a cleaning rod popped the case out. According to my calibrated fingers it seemed about .030" oversized at the base. Once home, I called a gunsmith friend thinking that it might be really big headspace or could have been recahambered to 6.5x57 or 6.5 Roberts. He suggested that it could be 6.5-284. He was able to compare the prints while we were on the phone, and the numbers showed that a 6.5x55 case could headspace in a 6.5-284 chamber (only .007" difference). I located a 6-284 case and sure enough it chambered easily. I will load up 2 or 3 rounds in 6.5-284 and fire them remotely. I'm thinking this gun was re-chambered and the barrel never marked properly.

Saturday there was a gunshow in San Antonio so we went to that and spent way too much money. My buddy brought home a GP-100 and a Dan Wesson - both in 357. I brought home an A- Bolt in 7-08. We squandered the rest of our money on reloading supplies, parts and other cool stuff that no one should be without.
Sunday we went about scouting for pigs and I was getting the lay of the land. We also set up all the reloading stuff that I had brought him and I showed him how to reload. It was nice being able to load 20 rds, walk out the back door and try them out in a gun he had just bought.
Monday afternoon brought the first kill. The Desert Eagle with a 240gr JSP over AA#9, took the largest sow of the group. I'm guessing 150 lb on the hoof. She ran about 25 yds and piled up. Later that evening the 356 Win with a 200gr JSP over 4064 dropped a 130 lb sow in her tracks. Both shots were about 25-30 yds and while they were feeding. The white sow was somewhat skiddish and knew something was up. The black and white sow was oblivious to our presence.
Tuesday evening we came upon the 140lb boar. Light was getting dim but the Super Redhawk's illum reticle allowed for a 35 yd shot that hammered the boar. The 320 cast bullet over H-110, went thru the boar and into a lilttle 30 lb pig. The group of 20 scampered away. The following day we found the hide, feet, and a trail of bones 40' long, that belonged to the little pig. The pack/herd had eaten their wounded comrade.
With shots being so close I thought it would be nice to get blood on the newly acquired Browning. We found some 243 brass, 7mm bullets and a set of dies from his deceased uncle. Using 4320 we put together some loads and bore-sighted the rifle. A large sow (150lb or so) was spotted in the evening. Normally a 40 yd shot would be a no brainer, but I had to shoot thru a heavy gauge wire fence. After shooting, I saw the pig run off with some of her organs/intestines hanging out. I thought- she isn't going far. Her blood trail consisted of quarter sized drops and fist sized puddles with muscle, organ and bone fragments in it. After following it for over a mile and losing daylight, we gave up. I don't know how much blood a pig has, but she lost most of it and kept going. It was 71* over night and neither of us thought the meat would be any good the following morning. I don't know if the bullet was deflected by the fence or if the shot was just that far off because the rifle was only bore sighted.
My buddy manged to get blood on his GP-100 when he dispatched a 40 lb pig with it. I don't know if has blood on his Dan Wesson yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
quick boil if possible, scrape off the hair,

Is this for making a football? grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Soaking them in diesel fuel for a week wouldn't make them taste any worse. Wild pig is just good for targets. Have had some cooked by some of the best Texas pig cookers and it still ranks lower than MREs.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.