Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take a look at the 6.5 Scandi. It is essentially a +p version of the 6.5x55 with slightly different chamber and throat specs. There is data on the European powder sites. Not sure of the exact pressure but around 58-60,000 as the methodologies are different than SAAMI specs.

In my 6.5x55 I am hitting 3130 fps with various 129-130 grain bullets and R26 but I am going to drop down half a grain or so but will still be north of 3,000 fps in a 24 inch barrel. This is the magneto speed reading haven't checked it on another chrono yet.

I suspect my load is at 62-64,000 psi based on quickload so that is why I am not listing the charge weight. Also why I am cutting it back some as I don't want to be over 62,000 albeit a questimated 62 as quickload is off for R26.

Last edited by Tejano; 02/20/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
tied to gets a reamer for it a couple years ago...no luck

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I see them listed at Midway and others but it is more expensive usually in the custom category and is not worth it as brass is no longer available. Use a standard 6.5x55 reamer and the American shorter throat set to what bullets you'll use.

The SKAN and the Mauser are interchangeable except in really tight chambers.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The brass is strong, I can testify about the Lapua version.

The Swede can be really fast, too fast in this case.

A study on what NOT to do... blush

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9781434/1

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would have no* fear in running 6.5x55 at 65 Kpsi like I would a .270win or 270wby
( * in a modern action) ...same with 7x57.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Yikes. I'd say that action has officially been tested with proof loads now. eek

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Tejano. Checked w/two makers but Midway did not cross my feeble mind...

Went with a 6.5/257--on a 98.

Defend the Constitution
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

DF

Yikes. I'd say that action has officially been tested with proof loads now. eek

Yeah, I think I have the fastest Swede on the Fire... blush

Like they say, don't try that at home... shocked

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That reminds me of a T-shirt I saw on Amazon.com yesterday.

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

I'm glad my shirt (and eyes) came out intact.

I have great respect for FN Mauser actions.

It was more scary looking back on it than at the time. I was pretty isolated with limited cell coverage.

Stuff happens and I've been a careful reloader since the '60's.

Be careful; don't think something that stupid can't happen to you...

DF

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
DF, I ran that load from the other thread through QL and it spit out 79861 psi... it predicted ~3500 fps though so the actual pressure may be north of that.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah Toad, it was definitely a tad over SAAMI specs... blush

To the guys wanting to run the Swede at 60K in a good action, go for it. If 80K won't blow one, 60K shouldn't, although 80K is pretty tough on primer pockets... grin

DF

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
DF,

Had a similar experience in the past working up .375H&H 235gr TSX loads with H380. Was expecting ~2800 fps on the chrony. Got a reading north of 3200 FPS. Went back to the loading bench and the balance beam weight was +5 grains of where I thought I set it. I assumed that it was operator error on my part. Has not occurred since. However, diligent to recheck each time now. Very thankful for the chrony. Other than some minor primer flattening, had no other outward indication of excessive pressure.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah Toad, it was definitely a tad over SAAMI specs... blush

To the guys wanting to run the Swede at 60K in a good action, go for it. If 80K won't blow one, 60K shouldn't, although 80K is pretty tough on primer pockets... grin

DF

So how is case life at 80,000 psi with the fastest Swede in the West?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A quick aside for those of you who have had overcharge issues. I am a pretty casual reloader. So that I might learn from your mistakes (and perhaps others may too) I'd like to ask you if some of my practices would have precluded the issues you had. If I am throwing charges, I will check a few along the way. Once I have finished charging the cases I take a flashlight and look down into my charged cases to ensure uniformity prior to seating bullets. Would that have prevented your overcharge issues?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being an anal, meticulous, thoroughly uptight serious reloader wink , I would say this: it might not absolutely prevent an overcharge but it sure don’t hurt. I do the same thing, throw all charges and then double check with a good LED flashlight shined into each case to check that the powder level is the same from case to case. I’ve caught a bridging problem more than once doing that, where one case’s level is a bit low and the next one is higher than the others.

That procedure won't detect a problem if all cases have the same higher powder level unless you are familiar with the normal level you would expect.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Being an anal, meticulous, thoroughly uptight serious reloader wink , I would say this: it might not absolutely prevent an overcharge but it sure don’t hurt. I do the same thing, throw all charges and then double check with a good LED flashlight shined into each case to check that the powder level is the same from case to case. I’ve caught a bridging problem more than once doing that, where one case’s level is a bit low and the next one is higher than the others.

That procedure won't detect a problem if all cases have the same higher powder level unless you are familiar with the normal level you would expect.

Do the same thing here and it has saved my bacon on at least on occasion. That being said, I would have no problem running a good strong action in 6.5X55 to 60K, as long as one was cautious about it.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tejano
Take a look at the 6.5 Scandi. It is essentially a +p version of the 6.5x55 with slightly different chamber and throat specs.

Are you talking about the cartridge which, on the vihtavuori.com website is listed as "6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser/ SKAN?" If so, that's not a different cartridge. It's just the CIP standard-pressure data for actions newer & stronger than the '96 Mausers. The Norma manual available in N. America doesn't differentiate, it just lists the 6.5x55 at the CIP max (380 MPa).

If this is _not_ what you're referring to, could you please point me to what you are referring to? I can't find this 'Scandi' or SKAN listed by CIP.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MZ5
Originally Posted by Tejano
Take a look at the 6.5 Scandi. It is essentially a +p version of the 6.5x55 with slightly different chamber and throat specs.

If this is _not_ what you're referring to, could you please point me to what you are referring to? I can't find this 'Scandi' or SKAN listed by CIP.

The Norma site has two different loading levels for Mauser and SKAN somewhere around 51,000 and 58,000 respectively. The only chamber diagram I have seen is on Steve's page with no source listed. PT&D listed reamers for both so should have diagrams.

The SKAN was another attempt to standardize chambers for modern rifles like the Husquaverna 2000 (?) between Sweden, Norway and Denmark. It raised the pressure some but was very short lived as far as I know. All but tight target chambers are usually interchangeable from what I have read.

The pressure for the SKAN that I have seen is 58,000 psi. CIP did not adopt it for some reason maybe because of the likelihood of it getting shot in old Krags.

I suspect most long range target shooters reloaded and those that used factory were fine with the original loading. This is all conjecture as there is not much information in English on the SKAN.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you have a 6.5 x 55 Swede, why change it?????

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.