Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I started with crushed walnuts but now I'm using crushed corn cobs. The corn cobs take a little longer, so I just turn the tumbler on and then go to bed. Then I turn it off first thing in the morning.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lizard Litter from Petco. Ground up walnut shells, and much less expensive than the same thing packaged for brass cleaning.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I would never use any other tumbler after switching over to the rotary style with SS pins. They come out looking better than new, inside and out. Saves some wear and tear on your dies too since they are clean.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I would never use any other tumbler after switching over to the rotary style with SS pins. They come out looking better than new, inside and out. Saves some wear and tear on your dies too since they are clean.

Ditto.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not making jewelry, I'm making ammo.
I use a 50/50 mix of walnut and corn cob to clean the brass. I don't really care about a high shine.
Many times I just wipe the brass of with a rag and reload. I haven't found any accuracy advantage in bright shiny brass.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I use a 50/50 mix of walnut and corn cob to clean the brass. I don't really care about a high shine.
Many times I just wipe the brass of with a rag and reload. I haven't found any accuracy advantage in bright shiny brass.

I am not making jewelry either. Still I have grown to prefer the wet tumble w SS pins and Lemi shine.

Remove the primer. Wet tumble for roughly 3 hours. Rinse w warm water separate SS media. Roll back and forth in a towel to rough dry. then into the oven at 220 F to dry for 30 min.

Nothing wrong with your preferred method either, results in the end will be essentially the same.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
The first batch of brass I ran using the SS pins was some once fired that had previously been through a vibratory tumbler but not loaded. Should have seen how dirty the water was, just from the inside of the cases. I think of it as similar to build up inside a chimney, and nobody wants that.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Walnut - if you have a Harbor Freight near you bulk box in the blasting media section is very cheap per pound. Tumble some cut up dryer sheets to get rid if the dust . You can use an ounce of liquid car wax every 5-10 tumblings if you want to get a bit of extra shine.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SS pin media does in one hour what a vibratory with aNY choices of media / potions can't equal in 5 hours. Its that fast.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Me too. That's why I don't tumble my brass.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lyman Tuff Nut works good for me, hate to wait for brass to dry, at first I was put off by the red dust but it only is notable for the first few times its just rouge,

edited, guess I should check spelling before posting

Last edited by SEM; 02/19/17.

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ned
Walnut - if you have a Harbor Freight near you bulk box in the blasting media section is very cheap per pound. Tumble some cut up dryer sheets to get rid if the dust . You can use an ounce of liquid car wax every 5-10 tumblings if you want to get a bit of extra shine.

What size grit?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I use that green Lyman stuff. Works beautifully and smells good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, I don't like to put a medium in my tumbler. She wouldn't fit easily and would probably make a lot of noise.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use jeweler's rouge impregnated walnut shells. It gets the cases clean enough that they don't damage the dies, they shine enough for me, and I don't have to mess around rinsing and drying the brass.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
in the late 1980's the place i worked at bought a
machine of some kind on a whim and it used crushed
walnut. they had several five-gallon buckets of that stuff
they threw away. i retrieved it and i'm still using on it.
it gets a shot of automotive polishing compound now
and then.
like others have posted^ ^ ^ ^ i don't tumble every
load unless the brass is dirty and would scratch dies.
even then i only tumble to clean it, not get a mirror
finish.
jmho- i never leave any electrical appliance running
while i sleep. i've already been through one house fire.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have s timer on my tumbler, stainless pins work great.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is videos on u tube using stainless pins. I have a thumblers tumbler. Amazing!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried the SS pins and did not like it, several cases in a batch would have pins wedged sideways in the primer pocket. Also did not like the water and having to let the cases dry. I have gone back to tumbling with media, the current Lyman material I'm useing is a pain as more than 50% of cases have media lodged in the flash hole. I going to get some coarser media to take care of this problem. Also tried Iosso liquid polish and don't like it, I'm going back to Mother's mag wheel polish.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I tried the SS pins and did not like it, several cases in a batch would have pins wedged sideways in the primer pocket. Also did not like the water and having to let the cases dry. I have gone back to tumbling with media, the current Lyman material I'm useing is a pain as more than 50% of cases have media lodged in the flash hole. I going to get some coarser media to take care of this problem. Also tried Iosso liquid polish and don't like it, I'm going back to Mother's mag wheel polish.

I tumble with the primers in. My case prep center has a primer pocket cleaner so I use that instead of tumbling.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.