-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google roof rats. That's what you got, since it's moving (and nesting) at night.
Google roof rat prevention. Seal off every part of your house, they only need a 1/4 inch space to get in. Make sure your gutter spouts have the hardware cloth type insert (Home Depot or Lowes) so they can't crawl up and into your gutters and chews through your facia board.

Once they leave a trail (they piss and crap non stop as they go) they keep coming back.

Good luck, you're gonna need it.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Happy_Prospector
Probably a colony of carpenter ants on the move.

No kidding I had this happen in the insulation above my bedroom. I almost asphyxiated my self trying to get rid of them......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

If you have or have access to a fiber optic work or bore scope you might could drill a small easily repaired hole in the wall where the noises are coming from and actually see exactly what what you're dealing with and go from there.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Flying squirrels were our 'inside the wall problems' in Florida. Not sure if you have them there.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by joken2

If you have or have access to a fiber optic work or bore scope you might could drill a small easily repaired hole in the wall where the noises are coming from and actually see exactly what what you're dealing with and go from there.

His walls will be insulated and good luck seeing anything if this is the first sound he's heard...

Let the critter do their thing and get them when they do...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I'd bet on it being a bat. Amazing the small space they can squeeze through.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by joken2

His walls will be insulated and good luck seeing anything if this is the first sound he's heard...

Let the critter do their thing and get them when they do...

I guess if the noises are coming from an exterior wall or if their bedroom was added on it probably would be insulated but if the wall is an original interior wall between rooms they usually won't have insulation.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes - I made an erroneous assumption about where most bedrooms are located (like my bed!). You are obviously correct.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by 673
Ya, peanut butter if its a bush rat, smart little buggers, I took out 2 of them, one I trapped with one of those giant mouse traps. The other I waited in ambush till I heard him moving around then poked the pellet gun in a crack in the door,, and lung shot him...
177cal pellet...range...10ft...ran 2ft and piled up.
Did he leave a good blood trail ?

I want to know if it over-penetrated!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup! Freakin' squirrels keep me busy. I've caught a couple with a roof trap and have yet another chewing on something.

Think this one is on the chimmney wall right beside my upstairs bed. Freaks me out about 5 in the morning. I know that little chyt is chewing on the wires. Hope he fries!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You need at least a .300 WSM with a 6' twist and it better shoot 1/4" groups at 200 yards or you need to get a better rifle. I would load no less than a 220 grain bullet. Don't pay attention to published data, keep adding powder until the bolt sticks and has to be pounded open, then back off 0.5 grain.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by 673
Ya, peanut butter if its a bush rat, smart little buggers, I took out 2 of them, one I trapped with one of those giant mouse traps. The other I waited in ambush till I heard him moving around then poked the pellet gun in a crack in the door,, and lung shot him...
Did he leave a good blood trail ?

I want to know if it over-penetrated!

Ed

No exit wound=no blood trail...I wouldn't go any heavier than 177cal as it could get messy and nobody needs that. No pics but it was a cranker, it had fruit, small apples and plums stored everywhere so I had to find the stashes and get rid of them as they were ruining stuff. The other bush rats must of seen what I done as they have moved over to the neighbors 3 doors down, they dont wanna phuock with me. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Critter sounds like the Greater California Chupacabra, not particularly related to our Arizona variety. Walk out on the back porch and fire off two rounds from your shotgun, that will scare him away.

Seriously, I had a real pack rat problem last summer, tried all kinds of traps and poison, no joy, finally used a Havahart live trap baited with some dried fruit, caught him in less than 12 hours.

Last edited by jnyork; 02/19/17.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rphguy
Originally Posted by 673

what? no trophy pics?

lol I too loved the pic he painted with words

Goin mouse hunting? Use enough gun !

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I rented a 130 yr old house in college with a bunch of guys. One of the guys kept a snake which promptly escaped. Boa constrictor iirc. We found it alive in a stud wall two years later...it was well fed.

Our problem here is damn chipmunks. I've declared an all out war...ROE have been suspended. They undermined my 7 step, 8' wide cement porch. Damn thing fell 2". Needed the cement company to inject cement hydraulically underneath to jack it up. $1200 pissed away on the little bastards. They chewed my garage door seal as well. Replaced it and put on some cayenne pepper impregnated silicone. Found a bunch of dog food stashed in my dress shoes. We don't have a dog. Spent an afternoon with a couple cans of spray foam and steel wool filling every hole I could find on the exterior and basement. So far, so good..fingers crossed. I will escalate hostilities without compunction.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/GQUAAOSw4DJYmSYA/s-l225.jpg

We have a few at our hunting cabin, though not many.
The guys got pretty good with these, and treat any mouse appearance as impromptu target practice. There are several of these weapons scattered around, and very few escape.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Where I've been, for goin' on 25 years now, a protracted battle with small mice, Packrats, and the Az. Ground Squirrel, are to be pretty much assumed, and arming up / learning to participate is just part of living well here.
Won't go into invertebrates with exoskeletons,...that's for some different thread.
We're more than ever before, "A mobile society".
A friend and neighbor operates a small and very successful second gen. mom and pop towing company,.... everything from a big recovery truck to little wheel lifts. His "Roll Back" moves a lot of these "pods" to their final spots, after the long haulers drop them at the depots along I-10.Part of the delivery protocol is asking the recipient to break the seal and verify content ....
I was asking him whether he and his family were seeing something I had never had a problem with before ,.....Brown Roof Rats, and Norway rats. He perked up and related several different instances of seeing these "pods' opened and having a fat rat jump out and beat feet into the nearest cover,....Cockroaches, too. In the case of the Norways, the exponents of multiplication from ONE pregnant female are staggering, and hard to believe.

I think Greg W's advice about working that roof for starters is a good one,....get the bastids before they get a foothold.

A SOLID rodenticide program, once in place will let you back away from trapping, at least that's been the case here.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Conrad,

I grew up in Monte Sereno, and went to Los Gatos High. What you most probably have a problem with is "Wood Rats". They are very common in that area. Outdoors they create a house for themselves by making a pile of small sticks, maybe three feet wide and two feet tall. You may have seen these stick piles. They are also happy to move indoors into walls and attics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushy-tailed_woodrat,

The pest control outfits in your area deal with these everyday. I don't know for sure, but I bet they put out bait boxes.

Another possibility is squirrels. If they can get into your attic they will try to fill it with acorns if you have oak trees. From living in your area, those are my best guesses. Good luck.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
We have two owls on the payroll now. I think they ate the cats as they went missing. Rats and mice have all but disappeared here now...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

I vote for flying squirrels. At least one species of flying squirrel is very small, and can get in surprisingly small holes. We had mystery animals in the attic of a house surrounded by trees years ago. I went around and around with binoculars looking for where something could get in. the soffit vents and gable vents were screened, but I finally saw a hole in the corner of every gable vent about the size of a quarter. I put heavier screen over them that they couldn't chew through, but we were still hearing them.

I went up on the roof and found that a section of ridge vent had come loose and had a gap of just about a half inch they could get under. Screwed it down tight and we never heard any more varmints in the attic.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.