Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bowhunted Zimbabwe once and then SA twice. All three trips were tremendous. Unfortunately I can not comment on Namibia.
All of my hunts were high fence over water and in some cases bait and water. No apologies from me for that kind of hunt, if you don't like it, don't do it.
Some animals were very difficult and several I wanted, I never had come to the blind. And some were really easy. But that's the way it worked for me. I don't know the size of the high fences, but was told the smallest we hunted was 10,000 acres and I believe the largest was 34,000 acres. Yes it was high fence, but it did not seem like the animals were in captivity and I had them cornered next to a fence.
I would and may go back to Africa again, to either SA or Namibia.
Basis my experience, I believe spot and stalk with a bow would be very very difficult.
If it were my first safari, I would target kudu, zebra, impala, wart hog and blue wildebeest.
I felt very safe in SA and the accommodations were first class. In Zimbabwe, we were stopped at road blocks several times and the PH was questioned by the police or military. Nothing came of that as I think the PH told them to pound sand. The accommodations were fine, but not high end. Zimbabwe was just a little more primitive.
Good luck on your safari.

Last edited by dale06; 02/19/17.

NRA Patron
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dale06
I bowhunted Zimbabwe once and then SA twice. All three trips were tremendous. Unfortunately I can not comment on Namibia.
All of my hunts were high fence over water and in some cases bait and water. No apologies from me for that kind of hunt, if you don't like it, don't do it.
Some animals were very difficult and several I wanted, I never had come to the blind. And some were really easy. But that's the way it worked for me. I don't know the size of the high fences, but was told the smallest we hunted was 10,000 acres and I believe the largest was 34,000 acres. Yes it was high fence, but it did not seem like the animals were in captivity and I had them cornered next to a fence.
I would and may go back to Africa again, to either SA or Namibia.
Basis my experience, I believe spot and stalk with a bow would be very very difficult.
If it were my first safari, I would target kudu, zebra, impala, wart hog and blue wildebeest.
I felt very safe in SA and the accommodations were first class. In Zimbabwe, we were stopped at road blocks several times and the PH was questioned by the police or military. Nothing came of that as I think the PH told them to pound sand. The accommodations were fine, but not high end. Zimbabwe was just a little more primitive.
Good luck on your safari.

Spot and stalk bow hunting seems to be a new trend and the guys love it. It does however take a special PH to conduct these kind of hunts.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I second what Marius said on this. 99% of the PH's that have worked for me never saw a bow hunter. They would get a hunter inside 50 -75 meters and say shoot!

The bowhunter was stunned that the expectation was to shoot that far. It took a while to convert PH's which had only hunted with firearm hunters, to grasp the bowhunting challenges.

It is not at all difficult to arrange successful archery hunts today. We now have many PH's that are also Bowhunters! Bowhunting in RSA has begun to grow at a more rapid pace than 20 years ago!

Not every outfitter is over the hump. Many will say they can take a bowhunter and that they understand the effort. However, unless they have a dedicated Archery operation, or dedicated Archery PH's to work with you. I would run from that option!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Just curious about this and you can think about it and answer this for your selves.

If a South African came to the USA and hunted dall sheep, moose, bison, elk and mule deer in Florida on a game ranch would you think he was missing a big part of the experience VS hunting those same animals in the western USA where they exist in their natural habitat?

You decide, I've been curious about this much of my career. Everyone chooses their own safari options. Just think about what you're after before you "pull the trigger"

You got a Florida contact to share?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I second what Marius said on this. 99% of the PH's that have worked for me never saw a bow hunter. They would get a hunter inside 50 -75 meters and say shoot!

The bowhunter was stunned that the expectation was to shoot that far. It took a while to convert PH's which had only hunted with firearm hunters, to grasp the bowhunting challenges.

It is not at all difficult to arrange successful archery hunts today. We now have many PH's that are also Bowhunters! Bowhunting in RSA has begun to grow at a more rapid pace than 20 years ago!

Not every outfitter is over the hump. Many will say they can take a bowhunter and that they understand the effort. However, unless they have a dedicated Archery operation, or dedicated Archery PH's to work with you. I would run from that option!

Agreed.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

378 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 36 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,682
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.