-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
California Gov. Jerry Brown Raises Gas Tax by 42% to Cover Public Pension Insolvency

Even as the disastrous policies of the liberal left prove that you can’t tax and spend your way out of debt, progressive politicians have decided that the solution to the problem is to tax and spend more.

As far as states go, California is as liberal as it gets: with one of the highest cost of living rates in the country due to endless taxes and regulations, the Sunshine State is rightfully regarded as exhibit A of what happens after Democrats hold power for any extended amount of time. With the inner city exploding with crime and it impossible for many to make ends meet, it’s understandable why many are leaving for safer, less costly states.

But instead of admitting defeat and rolling back counterproductive policies, the liberals in Sacramento have decided to unleash even more on their hapless constituents from San Francisco all the way down to San Diego.

Faced with a massive failure on the state’s part to pay out pensions to public servants, California Governor Jerry Brown has opted to do what Democrats do best: raise taxes. The targets this time are gas and vehicle registration, which are expected to go up by 42% and 141% respectively. After 9 years of taxes going up by 50% in the state, it is obvious that this will do nothing but irritate Californians even further as they are penalized for Sacremento’s inability to get its act together:

“Democrat governors have been regularly spiking gas taxes and vehicle registration fees for decades. But 12 years ago, Democrat Gov. Gray Davis was recalled by voters after he pushed the state legislature to pass a vehicle registration fee increase from $46 to $158.

The legislature cancelled the increase and Democrats have avoided gas and vehicle increases since. When the Assembly tried to revive a gasoline tax last year, the issue was dropped after polls showed 63 percent voter opposed any increase.

Republican governor Arnold Schwarzenegger destroyed his popularity by pushing through the Proposition 1-A high-speed rail initiative in 2008 that added about 11 cents a gallon to the price of gasoline — for a project now referred to by Bloomberg News as a “fiasco.”

Gov. Brown’s willingness to try raising gasoline taxes by 17 cents a gallon, and on vehicle registration fees by $65, is a sign of the insolvency risk from the exploding cost of California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) public pensions. Brown’s draft 2017-2018 budget already includes a $524 million increase for the public pension contribution. That amounts to an 11 percent increase over this year’s $5.3 billion cost.”

http://www.truthandaction.org/calif...ax-42-cover-public-pension-insolvency/2/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They get what they ask for.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Another buck a gallon. Ouch

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why don't they stop running taxes up -trim the gubment down and pay the "" PUBLIC SERVANTS "" a fair wage and let them pay for their own retirement ?? Why ? why ? why? laf ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obama REALLY wanted to do the same thing.

He was smart enough to fear the lynching though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They will be broke soon

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait I thought there was a push for California secede from the union?? I guess that flamed out..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They want to suck seed not secede.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Why don't they stop running taxes up -trim the gubment down and pay the "" PUBLIC SERVANTS "" a fair wage and let them pay for their own retirement ?? Why ? why ? why? laf ..

Same reason they let the public loafers retire in their 50s.

Because the public employees unions pay off the politicians, that's why.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
What pisses me of it that someday we will all be expected to bail California out when they go bankrupt. When their government employees reach full retirement age they retire at full pay and even more than full pay if they worked past retirement age. No private company could stay on business if they had to pay their employees until they died.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Public Employee Pension debt is closing in on 6 Trillion Dollars in this Country.

We should be very happy that they are "self-funded"

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The voters always get exactly what they deserve. Vote Democrat, win stupid prizes.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jnyork
The voters always get exactly what they deserve. Vote Democrat, win stupid prizes.

Nuthin' to argue with, in your statement...............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.