Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
This was e-mailed to me. I don't know the author or her husband, but I suspect I'd get along with them pretty well. Well done, Mrs. LaBonte!

My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course, was not printed. So, I decided to "print" it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined. Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County Register:

Dear Editor:
So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground.
They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good-bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought alongside men whose parents had come straight over from Germany , Italy , France and Japan . None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan . They were defending the United States of America as one people.

When we liberated France , no one in those villages were looking for the French-American or the German-American or the Irish-American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country.
Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here.
These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one Red, White and Blue bowl.

And here we are with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country.

I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty , it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.

(signed)
Rosemary LaBonte

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent letter.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1...... Something that good needs national exposure. My dad was one of those many first generation Americans in WWII.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know how it could be said any better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Rosemary LaBonte's letter a lot and will make certain that it is seen by many others.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
something very negative has happened to this country in the last 40 some years. i hope we can get the ship arighted before it is too late.

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My great grand dad came thru the island

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
NDsnowman,

Thanks. I posted it to facebook.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't tell you how true this is to me. With your permission, I would like to pass it on to my local newspaper. It is what I believe!

Thank you for sharing.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Oddly enough, 40 means a test in the Bible.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus
something very negative has happened to this country in the last 40 some years. i hope we can get the ship arighted before it is too late.

It's called the "Internet"

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plus, the Statue of Liberty is not on Ellis Island!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Gus

It's called the "Internet"

so, the earth really is flat? and hot, crowded, and competitive?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Plus, the Statue of Liberty is not on Ellis Island!

Right!

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My Grandfather came thru in 17.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Well stated...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with her sentiments, however I take exception to this "nation of immigrants" bs.

We are a nation of citizens, thank you.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My dad was born in Germany in 1913. After WWI, his parents emigrated to the U.S. with him. My grandfather had skills that he used to obtain gainful employment to support his family.
During WWII, my dad served in the U.S. army as a combat medic from Normandy through the end of the war.
My German grandparents & my dad were proud to become U.S. citizens and proud to support themselves.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I agree with her sentiments, however I take exception to this "nation of immigrants" bs.

We are a nation of citizens, thank you.

Citizens who became such through immigration. You're picking nits.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,289
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.