Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
On 60 min now

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Watching it

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
On 60 min now
I know. I'm watching it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swampy gonna be pissed.!

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
send all the 700's to North Korea!!

Go Nats!!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
are they talking about the past trigger issue?

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
They brought it up. Chilling to see the newer rifles go off when the safety was moved forward.

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have one,about 25 yrs old,I need to research the serial #,but I thought the issue was from more recent yrs.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the rerun the same show once a year. CBS is as bad as CNN

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your trigger has the grooves you are OK. Smooth triggers need to be repaired.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rong
I have one,about 25 yrs old,I need to research the serial #,but I thought the issue was from more recent yrs.

iirc, they were replacing the triggers on the old ones for free until last Nov.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just ordered a Timney replacement for my son's 700. I have one from the 80's that I haven't replaced, but may replace it just for the heck of it. Great rifles. Just need a better trigger.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
60 Minutes claims the X-Mark Pro is worse than the Walker trigger.

Claims are made that rifle fires without trigger or safety being touched. Color me skeptical.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
They should not go off when pushing the SaFETY BUT.....

Don't point the mutherrphugker at something that is not a target.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know this as fact but the report said 7M rifles in need of recall and repair at an estimated cost of $450M.

If true, my guess is that goes pretty far back.

HERE's the clip.

You guys should also watch the NO Korea one as well. Some ominous stuff.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/popular-remington-700-rifle-linked-to-potentially-deadly-defects/

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother had a 600 that did the same thing. He had to have a gunsmith repair it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, when you shoot someone with a Remington 700 and spend years in jail, it's obviously a trigger issue.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a rerun and just as unnerving as the first time I viewed it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
Just ordered a Timney replacement for my son's 700. I have one from the 80's that I haven't replaced, but may replace it just for the heck of it. Great rifles. Just need a better trigger.

Yep.

The new Timney 510 is really nice. You can sometimes find one on Ebay for little over a "C" note, shipped.

I have some old Walker triggers, tuned to perfection. The rest are 510's.

DF

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmmmm might be so…but I thought I saw a court document they showed that was dated January 2017.

I'd have too watch it again to be sure. But I won't!!

Go Nats!!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mine must be over 30 years old at least, put a Fiberglas stock on it, adjusted the trigger to make it lighter and used it to hunt and shoot in hunter class competitions and never an issue.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 1946-2006 rifles are a flawed design, no doubt about it. As far as I know the X-Mark trigger used since Oct. 2006 is a sound design. Supposedly the recall on those was to deal with adhesive that somehow dripped into the trigger assembly during manufacturing.

I didn't watch this program because I thought it was just a re-run of the same program done by CNBC several years ago. If there is a different design problem with the X-Mark trigger this is the 1st I've heard of it

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It was stated that the x-mark pro was ten years old, and came out in '06. So the production is not very old.

Still quite tainted by anti-gun MSM!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They blamed both the old triggers and the XMark.

First "oopsie" was a kid who was arguing with his brother, and loaded the rifle to "scare" him: The rifle "went off by itself".

Second "oopsie" was a "former Marine" who was "experienced with weapons" and took his LOADED RIFLE WITH A ROUND CHAMBERED AND SAFETY OFF out of a case and the rifle "went off by itself".

I stopped watching at that point.

There may well be a problem with the triggers; there's a bigger problem with some owners.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget, boys & girls, CBS is and has been virulently anti-guns/anti-Second Amendment and is the home of radical anti-guns personnel starting with the late pap dispensers, Walter Cronkite, Mike Wallace, and that senile old fool, Dan Rather.

Anything that is regurgitated on a CBS show is always suspect.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That is true. I'm certain they enjoy doing these shows. But the fact is that they wouldn't have anything to talk about if Remington hadn't been producing defective rifles since the 1940's.

I've seen and owned rifles that would do this and have done a fair amount of research on the topic. I've seen 2 different programs aired by them and can find nothing factually inaccurate in the reporting.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So what is wrong with the XMark trigger?

The Walker has the obvious problem of the floating trigger disconnector. But I thought they eliminated the disconnector on the XMark.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
The 1946-2006 rifles are a flawed design, no doubt about it. As far as I know the X-Mark trigger used since Oct. 2006 is a sound design. Supposedly the recall on those was to deal with adhesive that somehow dripped into the trigger assembly during manufacturing.

I didn't watch this program because I thought it was just a re-run of the same program done by CNBC several years ago. If there is a different design problem with the X-Mark trigger this is the 1st I've heard of it

Just FYI - The Remington 700 has only been around since 1962 (not 1946).
For about the first 20 years until around 1982 the safety locked the bolt down, then they changed it so you could open the bolt & unload it with the safety still on (bolt not locked down).

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So what is wrong with the XMark trigger?

The Walker has the obvious problem of the floating trigger disconnector. But I thought they eliminated the disconnector on the XMark.

Not sure but it is supposed to happen more in colder weather. Affects XMP triggers from 2006 to 2014. According to an attorney they interviewed, it would cost Remington 450 million to replace all the Remington rifles affected by the trigger issue....I'm assuming they were talking about both the XMP and the Walker trigger.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 02/19/17.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WHY ARE THESE FIREARMS BEING RECALLED?
Only Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with X-Mark Pro triggers manufactured from May 1, 2006, to April 9, 2014, have been recalled. Models 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, and 673 with a Remington Walker trigger mechanism that utilizes a trigger connector, and Models 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722, and 725 with a Remington trigger mechanism that utilizes a trigger connector have not been recalled. While Plaintiffs’ economic-loss claims related to those models are being settled through this class action settlement, those firearms are not being recalled.

WHAT IS THE “XMP PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL”?
Remington has determined that some Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with X-Mark Pro triggers manufactured from May 1, 2006, to April 9, 2014, could, under certain circumstances, unintentionally discharge. A Remington investigation has determined that some X-Mark Pro triggers might have excess bonding agent used in the assembly process. While Remington has the utmost confidence in the design of the X-Mark Pro trigger, it is undertaking a Product Safety Recall in the interest of consumer safety to replace these triggers with new X-Mark Pro triggers.

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE A REMINGThttp://settlement.repair.remington.com/faqsON RIFLE THAT FITS THIS DESCRIPTION, STOP USING YOUR FIREARM. Any unintended discharge has the potential to cause injury or death. Immediately cease use of your firearm. DO NOT attempt to diagnose or repair your firearm.

More here,
http://settlement.repair.remington.com/faqs

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
That is true. I'm certain they enjoy doing these shows. But the fact is that they wouldn't have anything to talk about if Remington hadn't been producing defective rifles since the 1940's.

I've seen and owned rifles that would do this and have done a fair amount of research on the topic. I've seen 2 different programs aired by them and can find nothing factually inaccurate in the reporting.

Well, uh, how do we no yer not a antiguin azzwhole? wink

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have had 600 and 700 triggers since for 30 years and never a problem with them. only gun I ever seen go off when safety catch moved was an old savage.223 that the trigger was lightened too much, But hey some people can bend an anvil........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the defect was repeatable it would be a bit more viable.

I would challenge anyone to take a NIB 700 and without f uck ing with the trigger, get it to discharge as some are claiming they have seen or done..

Post the video. Noone can prove anything in this clusterfu ck against Remington, nothing!

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well most of the complaints I have read in the past were that the gun fired as one locked the bolt down, or the safety moved to the fire position.. in tonight's show, this kid was not working the bolt nor the safety, he claims the gun just went off as he was standing up off the couch. As far as I know, that is not the meat on the bones in regards to the 700 trigger issue. Probably why he ended up in prison.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At this point Remington will never shake the trigger issue, they should start manufacturing the 700 with an outside trigger.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You have to hate Remington.....to justify spending $4000.00 for a custom rifle!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PaleRider

For about the first 20 years until around 1982 the safety locked the bolt down, then they changed it so you could open the bolt & unload it with the safety still on (bolt not locked down).

Immaterial, the Walker trigger came out with the 722/721 rifles, same trigger design used on the early 700s.

I have issues with the 700s, but the triggers ain't my issues. There are other things to dislike about 'em, and reason enough for me to have gotten rid of mine.
Some TV hackjob ain't gonna persuade me one way or another.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington's new automatic trigger. Take carful aim at the target and then turn the safety off -- BAM -- no need to squeeze the trigger.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have 5 or six Remington 700's, I like them a lot, a Remington will always shoot. That being said I don't put hundreds of rounds down range each year with these rifles. I would like someone to tell me how the "former Marine" had an "accidental discharge" from inside his house that just happened to hit two black girls across the street killing one of them? I bet that guy was aiming at them and pulled the trigger not remembering the rifle was loaded!

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
In the program 3 different rifles had the pin drop when the safety was moved to fire without the trigger being touched.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a safe full of 700's and 7's. Never had an issues, and have been using them for 40 years. Never known anyone else to have an issue either. I've adjusted the triggers myself, down to the 3-3 1/2 pound range. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, or didn't happen, just that it's never happened to me or anyone I've known. As far as watching the 60 Minute report last night, we know they are very anti-gun and will go out of their way to make it look bad. When someone points a loaded gun at another person, in the heat of an argument, and that gun goes off, killing the other person, it is extremely hard to believe that it was the result of a bad trigger. I'd use that as an excuse myself to keep from going to jail.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan

Your going to love that Timney.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I'm not a fan of CNN and have never had the several Remington 700s that I've owned ,for years, go off when I flipped the safe off. That said ,I've a close friend and a nephew that both had the firing pin drop when the safety was pushed to the fire position!I personally witnessed it happen with my nephew's 700,multiple times!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3 Rem 700 that one day my grandson will own. To ensure that he or I never encounter such a potential problem I replaced all with Timney triggers.
Better safe than sorry!

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
They should not go off when pushing the SaFETY BUT.....

Don't point....at something that is not a target.

I take note of all the many, many times I see guides & crew people having the muzzle of the hunter's gun being pointed at them. It really sickens me almost as much as looking at Sheila Jackson Lee.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
60 Minutes claims the X-Mark Pro is worse than the Walker trigger..
...and they would be correct..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 6 or 8. I guess I need to buy a 12 pack of Timney triggers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Disappointing string. Disappointing that many seem to give more credence to a TV show than Remington.
My experience says that there are outright lies and fuzzy facts stated, then repeated.
Loud shouting and repetition doesn't make it true.
I'm giving Remington the benefit of the doubt.

Pointing a rifle at someone, with live ammo in the vicinity... something between poor judgement and insane.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
60 Minutes claims the X-Mark Pro is worse than the Walker trigger..
...and they would be correct..

What amazes me, look in the Brownell catalog. X-Mark triggers sell for as much as Timney. Bet they don't sell many.

DF

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have owned two Rem 700's with factory triggers that went "bang" when the safety was moved forward. Both occurred before I was aware of the Remington Walker trigger issues. Both rifles received Timney trigger replacements. Neither rifle has had an issue since replacement.

All but 2 of my Remington factory triggers have been replaced with Timney's. And I have a Timney Calvin Elite inbound to cover one of those.

Not interested in the recall. Not interested in a class action suit. Just thankful that both of my incidents occurred during range sessions with the muzzle pointed down range. Safe gun handling matters...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I have a Timney Calvin Elite inbound to cover one of those.

Would be interested in your assessment of the Calvin vs. std. Timney.

I've seen them advertised, never examined one.

DF

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had two Walkers that were unsafe.
Both had been messed with by prev owner, and left in unsafe condition (one unknown, the other was sold with the words "great trigger, close the bolt slow and easy".

I swapped out springs and made them just as light, and they were safe.

Idiots and firearms and never a good mix. Thankfully many of such stupidity stay away from guns and just make babies, vote, look at cell while driving etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
have a 270 adl that would go off on occasion when you pushed the safety forward, had it fixed.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never had an issue with mine. If I were in the market for another bolt rifle it would be a 700.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
A friend and I bought new Rem 700's in the early 1960's. His went off one time many years later when he closed the bolt but mine never has. His rifle never been cleaned other that the bore and the exterior when it happened. I showed how to take his rifle apart and give it a good cleaning. That was the end of the accidental discharges. When someone is injured or killed by an accidental discharge it is the users fault.

Last edited by victoro; 02/20/17.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I witnessed the problem at Quemado, a few years back. Scary!
Proper gun handling made it a distraction rather than an accident.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have an airplane that's totally unsafe! Stall the bastid at 300' and it'll kill you!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Shilen triggers . In the mid 1980's I stopped at Ennis, Texas. I met Doug and Ed Shilen. Had them install their 1 1/2 pound trigger in my 700 HV. It's been rebarred 3 times same trigger no problems. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Well most of the complaints I have read in the past were that the gun fired as one locked the bolt down, or the safety moved to the fire position.. in tonight's show, this kid was not working the bolt nor the safety, he claims the gun just went off as he was standing up off the couch. As far as I know, that is not the meat on the bones in regards to the 700 trigger issue. Probably why he ended up in prison.

Yeah, the little azzwhole admitted on camera that he at fifteen years of age retrieved his hunting rifle, and loaded it with the intention of intimidating his baby brother whom he was fighting with.

After he blew off half his brothers head, he altered the crime scene by placing brothers rifle between the knees of the corpse to make it appear as suicide.

He claims he never touched the trigger.

I would not catagorize this youth as the most reliable witness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by PaleRider

Immaterial, the Walker trigger came out with the 722/721 rifles, same trigger design used on the early 700s.

I have issues with the 700s, but the triggers ain't my issues. There are other things to dislike about 'em, and reason enough for me to have gotten rid of mine.
Some TV hackjob ain't gonna persuade me one way or another.

I think it was material.
Unless I misunderstood what he had written, it appeared that he was saying the Rem. 700 has been around since 1946, which it has not ; just added a few other facts about the Walker Trigger.
The 722/721 model rifles were not around in 1946 either.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I viewed the 60 minute offering last evening to glean lots of problems with their segment. The young man truly was at fault admitting his actions. Now, to be honest each and every mechanical device is subject to failure. But, proper handling of a firearm would have prevented this tragedy.
At no point during the segment was there a definitive discussion about the 10 commandments of firearm safety. The father alluded to teaching his sons safety but 60 minutes did not pursue this. I have owned and hunted with many model Remington 700 rifles. Have not had this problem occur. Now, I do indeed have complete and lots of experience with cleaning, adjusting and the 700 triggers along with the safeties. If a trigger is adjusted improproperly a problem can happen. If the sear engagement is improperly set the trigger will fail. A competent gunsmith will be able to properly adjust either of the trigger designs.
Not one gunsmith was asked his opinion about either trigger design. CBS should revisit this with more comprehensive data from a broad range of gunsmiths, mechanical engineers, competent bench rest shooters and hunter education instructors for a proper and well balanced approach. But, we all know this will happen when pigs fly. My .02 cents. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not a Remy fan but the difference between the 2 statements

"My lil brother was giving me a bunch of crap so I blew his head off."

and...

"I was just holding my rifle and it went off on its own."

is the difference between Murder 2 and Manslaughter, which is the difference between 10 years and 25 to life with the potential of a multi-million dollar payout down the road.

So with no other witnesses which of the two would his attorney be advising him to make?

The entire segment is more Fake News.

Personally speaking, if I have a disassembled gun on my table I feel un-comfortable if an empty barrel is pointing in an unsafe direction.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just wondering when the lawsuits over Mauser 98 wing safeties going off are gonna start. Oh, nobody makes Mauser 98s any more, the Soviets and Allies leveled all the factories? Imagine that.....

Good Lord.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Forget 60 Minutes and the Lawyers!!

For me….there's enough suspect information, experiences and stories from members in this thread alone to have any 700 owned checked out.

Unless of course you already have.

YMMV... I pray!!

Go Nats!!!!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I have a Timney Calvin Elite inbound to cover one of those.

Would be interested in your assessment of the Calvin vs. std. Timney.

I've seen them advertised, never examined one.

DF

Will do. To-date, I have been satisfied with the standard Timney's. However, the Calvin's get a lot of positive press here on the 'Fire. Not sure if I will see 2x the value for 2x the price. However, figured I would try one to find out. Will replace the X-Mark (I think) trigger that came on a new LH SS 700 action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mesabi
They blamed both the old triggers and the XMark.

First "oopsie" was a kid who was arguing with his brother, and loaded the rifle to "scare" him: The rifle "went off by itself".

Second "oopsie" was a "former Marine" who was "experienced with weapons" and took his LOADED RIFLE WITH A ROUND CHAMBERED AND SAFETY OFF out of a case and the rifle "went off by itself".

I stopped watching at that point.

There may well be a problem with the triggers; there's a bigger problem with some owners.

I don't think you can say there isn't a trigger issue of some concern with a Remington 700

but...

keeps a loaded rifle with a chambered round in the case?

I'd like to hear the case of that Marine - especially not getting charged with some kind of negligence in the death of that girl.

Of course if he got charged, then they wouldn't get millions in a settlement from Remington

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My favorite rifle is a Win 69a, 22. The safety doesn't work.

At all.

I'm pretty sure it has a couple of hundred THOUSAND rounds through it with no unintended injuries.

Maybe we should make stupid illegal.

(I know...it's own thread.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Disappointing string. Disappointing that many seem to give more credence to a TV show than Remington.
My experience says that there are outright lies and fuzzy facts stated, then repeated.
Loud shouting and repetition doesn't make it true.
I'm giving Remington the benefit of the doubt.

Pointing a rifle at someone, with live ammo in the vicinity... something between poor judgement and insane.

I heard about this on the internet years ago - well before CBS ever did a story about it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had a 700 BDL in 270 Win.for 40 years and have never had it go off without the trigger being pulled.

That said if someone has monkeyed with it then all bets are off.
Same thing with the rifle never having been cleaned other than to have the barrel swabbed and wiped down with a rag.

If used the way they were meant to be used and cleaned regularly,one should outlast the owner.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Have owned two Rem 700's with factory triggers that went "bang" when the safety was moved forward. Both occurred before I was aware of the Remington Walker trigger issues. Both rifles received Timney trigger replacements. Neither rifle has had an issue since replacement.

All but 2 of my Remington factory triggers have been replaced with Timney's. And I have a Timney Calvin Elite inbound to cover one of those.

Not interested in the recall. Not interested in a class action suit. Just thankful that both of my incidents occurred during range sessions with the muzzle pointed down range. Safe gun handling matters...

I dont believe you. I believe Remmy. Besides, doesnt matter if the gun goes off when you flip the safety as long as it aint pointed at nobody. Just be sure you got the crosshairs on that big buck or bull when you flip it man. smirk whistle

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
[quote=ltppowell]My favorite rifle is a Win 69a, 22. The safety doesn't work.

At all.

I'm pretty sure it has a couple of hundred THOUSAND rounds through it with no unintended injuries.

[/quote,

Safetys are supposed to work because many peoples brains dont. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Jim check you PM's.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
[quote=ltppowell]My favorite rifle is a Win 69a, 22. The safety doesn't work.

At all.

[/quote,

Safetys are supposed to work because many peoples brains dont. wink

Safetys are good, but a couple of basic rules have to be violated before they become an issue.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We already knew about the M700 triggers. The Propaganda Corps is merely taking the opportunity to do a hit piece and tell about them again.

They aren't really concerned about the triggers or the people shot. It's about trying to put the gun industry out of business one company at a time. the dead are nothing more than collateral damage in the pursuit of and agenda.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by stevelyn
We already knew about the M700 triggers. The Propaganda Corps is merely taking the opportunity to do a hit piece and tell about them again.

They aren't really concerned about the triggers or the people shot. It's about trying to put the gun industry out of business one company at a time. the dead are nothing more than collateral damage in the pursuit of and agenda.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Spot on.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me anytime I am buying a Rem 700 it's automatic to add another $120 for a Timney to the cost of the rifle because the triggers just plain suck. It's hard to believe they haven't come out with a better trigger after all the chit they've been through!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I replaced with a Jewell and my sons with Timney

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I won't own a rifle that doesn't have a 3 position Winchester style safety - including Remington clones. That being said, you can eff up almost any trigger and make a rifle unsafe.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wonder how many of these 'took my safety off to unload' NDs happened in post '82 700's that don't lock the bolt...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've owned Remington 700's since the late 60's & probably bought at least 20 of them of the years including 3 722's & 2 721's. Never had a problem with any of them & fired thousands of rounds during that time. Also owned perhaps 12-13 XP 100's over the years, many were custom rigs for Silhouette shooting or hunting, both big & same game.
However I did have one very odd malfunction with one while shooting rock chucks one day a few years back. I had fired perhaps 12-1500 rounds through this gun over a 3-4 year period & never had a previous problem of any kind.
On this day me & a friend were set up shooting & I had my sandbags setting on the rack of my 4 wheeler & I was sitting on a stool & had already taken several rock chucks with my 223 Ackley Imp. As I went to fire another round the gun didn't fire, the firing pin was already forward, it had went forward when I closed the bolt.I noticed the bolt was in the fired position by looking at the rear of the shroud. I set there for a few seconds, perhaps 20, trying to figure out what had happened, or not happened.
My buddy was sitting to my right about 5-6 feet & he looked at me & asked what was going on & I said my gun didn't fire. I raised the gun off the sandbags & turned it to my left towards some trees & just started to lift the bolt & it fired! This was with the firing pin already down! The bolt hadn't moved 1/4" & was still in the lug recesses. My 4 wheeler was facing left to right so I could shoot off of the rear rack & the bullet caught just the edge of my plastic wind shield, damn it! I looked at the case, no problem, took the bolt out, no problem, racked the bolt 8-10 times & it cocked every time & dry fired every time, just like it had done for thousands of rounds.
I took another loaded round, chambered it, held it more to the left & closed the bolt & the bolt followed the round forward again, just like it had been fired. So now the firing pin is down on the primer, just like the first time, very odd. I hold the gun for several seconds to see if perhaps it could be a hang fire, nothing happens. I start to raise the bolt & it goes off again, bang! I'm done! Again the bolt hasn't moved 1/4" & the firing pin is sitting against the primer when it goes off, no firing spring tension to drive it forward, it's already forward.
I go home & take the bolt assembly apart & clean everything although it doesn't look all that bad & head to the shooting range. So far I've never been able to duplicate that problem.... or explain it.

Dick

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by toad
I wonder how many of these 'took my safety off to unload' NDs happened in post '82 700's that don't lock the bolt...

I wonder how many of those "took my safety off to unload" had their damned index finger inside the triggerguard when they pushed the safety forward. whistle

Remington trigger issues: 99% media hysteria & lawyer-driven lawsuits; 1% piss-poor gun handling / filthy guns / bubba-ed trigger adjustments, etc., etc..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/396832

The Remington response to the 60 minutes story.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I best check all mine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Remington trigger issues: 99% media hysteria & lawyer-driven lawsuits; 1% piss-poor gun handling / filthy guns / bubba-ed trigger adjustments, etc., etc..

Source or did you not read all the literature our there that even Remington acknowledges (not to mention that pesky recall..again), including personal experiences from many folks here

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Source or did you not read all the literature our there that even Remington acknowledges (not to mention that pesky recall..again), including personal experiences from many folks here

Is English your second language?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toad

Is English your second language?

As a matter of fact it is,what's yours? and POS smells the same in any language..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It was a serious question, so don't get all butthurt and whiney...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Then you should work on syntax, as it came across as insulting. Accordingly, if you asked in that spirit, I apologize.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No need to apologize. I have my big boy pants on and I expect others here to be likewise.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
ok

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

This^^^, and, exactly.

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

It's just an opinion, Jorge. I've had my own experiences with Remington triggers, read plenty on the subject, and heard the stories, here and elsewhere.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've seen a lot of back and forth and BS'ing about this over the years, but I haven't seen any explanations of what is wrong with their triggers or how they are different from others. Is it a design flaw or just poor manufacturing? What makes a Timney so much better?

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

It's just an opinion, Jorge. I've had my own experiences with Remington triggers, read plenty on the subject, and heard the stories, here and elsewhere.

Noted and respected. J

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
272 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.