Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I bought a new EOTech 512 in 2016. A friend of mine told me that he heard about an issue with them, but I thought that was with those made before 2008.

Is something new out there, from a reputable source?

Thank you

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have two 512s the only problem i'm aware of is some POI change in extreme temperature changes. Mine work fine from 20-90 degrees si I never bothered sending them back.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
contact the company, maybe they will still give you your money back. I had one, sold it to a friend he still has it, my only issue is I did not like to have to turn it on before I used it. I bought a cheap $270 SIG Romeo 4 with the same circle dot, had it for a almost a year, changed the battery this January its on a very accurate AR, it holds zero, and the battery lasts for at least 11 months in my experience. I bought the SIG on a whim but have not heard any complaints about them like I have the new Trijicon red dot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I work with a lot of guys that use EOtechs. They liked them and didn't have any problems with them. I think the "extreme" temp issue would only be an issue with a huge temp swing (ie a HALO jump where it's zero degrees at altitude and 120 degrees at the landing).

I like the fact that they have a switch. Otherwise batteries wouldn't last long in real world operations.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here's the info from eo-tech.
http://www.eotechinc.com/dear-valued-eotech-customer

as for batteries not lasting, my T2 will last for 5 years when always left on. That said, my last Eo-Tech 512 lasted the spec'd time they stated. (but I forget how long that was, did a test here on the fire a few years ago). Bottom line, battery life is not a problem on newer models.

I bought a new sideways battery model and figured it was about perfect until it started going off when I shot the gun. I sold everything eo-tech and went Aimpoint.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

I like the fact that they have a switch. Otherwise batteries wouldn't last long in real world operations.

Aimpoint, Trijicon, Leupold, and even Sig/Primary Arms all make red dot optics that keep batteries alive in constant-on for at least a year or more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's the Eotech/Aimpont alternative that I'm using. Israeli military standard, as far as I know.

So far great sight, very sensitive on/off motion sensor, instant on. Red dot is just the right size to suit me.

If you're patient you can find it on sale for just over $300.

MM

Meprolight RDS

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, thank you gentlemen.

Mine was made in 2016, so I believe I am good to go.

Glad to read this because I really like the sight for my Stag Arms AR. In the times I have used it, zero has been consistent and solid. That includes both hot and bitter cold environments.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think your friend was referencing the contract they had with DOD that didn't hold up.

Most people will never have a problem with them.

That being said, if you had EoTech's in a pool of optics used by hundreds of knuckle draggers, I suspect the EoTech would be your number one failure.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Can we get like a big fugkin' Texas flag over every post made by a Texan?

It'd make things so much easier for members that have legitimate questions.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I work with a lot of guys that use EOtechs. They liked them and didn't have any problems with them. I think the "extreme" temp issue would only be an issue with a huge temp swing (ie a HALO jump where it's zero degrees at altitude and 120 degrees at the landing).

What an amaizingly great point! Real World Operations to boot!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several eotechs in the past 10-15 years and only had problems with 2. One was an original 511 that kept shutting off, the other an XPS 3/ 3x magnifier combo that had the screen delaminate. Both happened in a span of 60 days right when the DoD crap was happening. When I called rote ha bout them the rep insisted on giving me full msrp in return despite my insistence that I bought both used for significantly less then msrp.

Can't say anything bad about them after how they handled my issues.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

I bought a new EOTech 512 in 2016. A friend of mine told me that he heard about an issue with them, but I thought that was with those made before 2008.

Is something new out there, from a reputable source?

Thank you

All EOTech's- every year, every model have serious issues. As best as I can remember since the mid 2000's I have been issued around two dozen EoTechs. Every single one has had problems. From ridiculously short battery life, to zero shift, battery contact problems, flashing reticles, and ghosting. On top from teammates to students I have seen a couple hundred conservatively. Nothing has made me trust them.

If it's just for a plinker, well rock on. I still wouldn't out of principal, but it doesn't really matter if cans are the target. However, when used in a duty capacity (or home protection) and people say that they haven't had issues in use, I really start to question what they think "use" is. A while back I started working at a place that has a very aggressive training schedule and issued EOTechs. Most thought that they had no issues as other organizations that we work with used and "liked" them. Enter a structured marksmanship program where your ability to hit realistic targets on demand and pure shooting skills are measured and become a part of your continued employment, and you had a bunch of dudes that could shoot anything that they want pulling Aimpoint Comp M2's out of storage. Of course a lot of other previously "good" optics turned out it to be not so good as well....

Just saying that for the price of an EOTech one can get an Aimpoint that will last for years without being turned off, will hold zero as good as iron sights, and who's parent company aren't POS's.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It the crap really hit the fan, I would probably feel most comfortable with iron sights.

I once had to qualify at an Air Force range at Medina in San Antonio. It was either a base or service rule to use one of their weapons overseas. I am being honest about this. 10 time rifle expert is not enough. Anyways, when qualifying, I decided to turn off the optic and use my irons exclusively after doping both. It is a cake walk to shoot high score on that course of fire.

The one thing that the optic does give me is the ability to have better peripheral vision when shooting. But if I am shooting at a target that is farther then my immediate kill space, I prefer the irons. I used them so long, it is natural for me and I can shoot better.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Simply amazing how so many elite troops who could use anything they choose use eotechs. If only they knew..................

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Simply amazing how so many elite troops who could use anything they choose use eotechs. If only they knew..................

Just kinda appears to matter who you happen to ask..............

MM

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RickyD

Please tell us what "elite troops" that could use "anything they choose", choose to use EOTechs? You must have experience?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
... you had a bunch of dudes that could shoot anything that they want pulling Aimpoint Comp M2's out of storage. ...

What is your current recommendation?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Aimpoint Comp M4, Micro T/H2, if on a budget- PRO. Every other red dot has concessions that Aimpoints do not.

There is a heavy shift to LPV's now.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you Form. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

619 members (160user, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.