Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Speed and price (but not speed on the actual barrel swap). A smith doesn't need your action, so your action doesn't need shipped both ways. Since a particular action isn't needed, some are pre-cutting popular options and have them on the shelf. You can have a chambered barrel shipped to you today just like a box of bullets. Additionally, most smiths I see charge less for machining a barrel for a nut setup vs a shoudered install.

NSS has piles of popular chamberings on the shelf ready to ship, you get a chambered Creiterion or Shilen for about the price of a high end blank. Greg Young will chamber any of his top shelf in stock barrels for you in your choice of chamber for $180, and do it in 30 days. Just a couple examples, I think the trend is going to continue and is a great option to have for high volume shooters. I'll be screwing my first one on tomorrow...

Empirical results rule!
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I understand. I see it as a shortcut for the most part though. Few top competitors would go that route. I also see it as short term pain for long term gain. I know I can change barrels much faster and even in the field if necessary with a traditional setup.....and my headspace, die settings and brass can't ever be out of whack. To each his own. Not for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. If it's beyond scope mounts and stock screws I'm not messing with it anymore.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
I understand. I see it as a shortcut for the most part though. Few top competitors would go that route. I also see it as short term pain for long term gain. I know I can change barrels much faster and even in the field if necessary with a traditional setup.....and my headspace, die settings and brass can't ever be out of whack. To each his own. Not for me.

I never could stand a Savage due to "the nut". However, after competing with guys running Savages with nuts in F/TR, I noticed they were competitive. I then began to see barrel offerings in calibers that looked interesting where I wanted to experiment without spending $3K on a custom setup. Also, I always hated the thought of shipping my high-end components across the country hoping they would arrive just as I held them. Compound that with the speed in which known 'smiths get your parts back to you assembled, it was a no-brainer.

I built me a .260 on a Savage 12 action with a Criterion barrel. I then bedded the stock in a B&C A2. Is it my favorite rifle? Not a chance. Did it surpass my expectations? You bet it did. I've been able to shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 1,000 yards.

Can spin on barrels using barrel nuts be competitive? This guy thinks so:

http://criterionbarrels.com/honeycutt-sets-national-f-class-record-with-criterion-barrel

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
All things being equal, I'd prefer a shouldered install myself. Also, if I were competing in benchrest I wouldn't bother. In the steel/field precision/prs stye shoots I do, the last bit of accuracy potential is rarely realized. If you have a high quality, inexpensive, fast local smith that'd change the equation as well.

We'll see how I feel about the system after a barrel or two, as for now I'm optimistic.

Empirical results rule!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So when is the shoot?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still waiting for this magical 2" groups from 500 yds out of stock rifles.....

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Still waiting for this magical 2" groups from 500 yds out of stock rifles.....

Probably ran out of ammo trying grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by yukonal
Originally Posted by 87k
Does anyone ever do a custom build on a Tikka? It seems like a guy could get a lot for $2000 build.

I've built quite a few, including my 3 F-TR competition rifles.

I believe I can be credited with the customizing of the action, whereas the front of the receiver if faced off square, and my custom designed recoil lug is installed between the receiver and barrel. whistle

Here's one of them. I've been at it for awhile. wink
http://www.tikkashooters.com/al-qua...e-hammer-august-2013-tikka-of-the-month/

I've also 'built' a few T3's.

I've left the recoil lugs alone, save using a steel one instead of the supplied aluminum.

What is the advantage of the '700' style recoil lug?
My way of thinking is that the '700' style has to have 4 perfectly flat surfaces to mate with, the stock Tikka the action and barrel need to be square.

Not to difficult to get sub 1/2 moa performance out of a stock Tikka action and a good bedding job.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Trystan
Ive shot so many sub 2" 500 yd groups with a stock tikka I've lost count. Mount a scope and go hunt

Trystan

Holy Chit that is impressive!

Do you teach long range by chance?

I would love to get some pointers.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i can shoot those kind of groups with my 788 remmy in 6mm but i dont know about using a 6x scope. 60 yr old eyes ain't up to that anymore.i shoot a 6x24x40 4200 elite on mine.i'm hanging tight at 1 3/8" at 400yds and have shot under 2" at 500.

70grn varmagedons in a 1/12 twist barrel.i own a few tikka's that shoot really well but they are deer guns and i never shot them that far.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread:
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Next week.......stay tuned!

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Trystan

The suspense is killing me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a Knee always had a problem writing checks with his mouth that his ass couldn't cash.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Take a knee?

No way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Trystan

LOL, keep practicing....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Trystan

We are still tuned, and I am ready to learn.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Trystan

We are still tuned, and I am ready to learn.

Lots to learn from the OP. Just the other day he was lecturing Bigfin on long range hunting:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...The_Game_of_Inches_...bigge#Post11919724

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Trystan

What exactly do you mean by "next week"? grin

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.