Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
About three years ago I bought a Sako 85 Finn Light in .270 Win. Had problems from the beginning. The main issue was that an ejected round hit the scope and was ejected or just flipped over and landed on the mag follower. At the time many Sako 85 owners were having the same problem I was having, and many others were having no problems at all. At the time, the ones with long actions were the ones having the problems, and short action owners were having no problems. I raised the height of my scope but it did not stop the problem. After a few discussions with Beretta, I sent the rifle back and they refunded me the price I paid for the rifle. (Thank you Beretta) I could tell what was causing the problem 1. ejector at the 6:00 position behind magazine, 2. extractor not strong enough to hold round from insertion through firing and ejection. I thought I would ask you guys that own 85's if the problem still exists, or did Beretta/Sako make any changes on the 85 to stop this problem. I would especially like to hear from long action 85 owners. I have older Sako's with the ejector at the 9:00 position and they have never failed to function properly. I am not looking to open an old wound, and I am not putting down 85 Sako's. As a matter of fact I would love to own an 85 if I could count on it to function properly. Sako 85 owners I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you and good evening.

G2

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I remember when you were having problems. I wonder why Sako changed the ejector location from 9 oclock to the 6 oclock position????? It's like Winchester changing the trigger. Why don't these companies leave well enough alone and use what they know works?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Sako 85 Finnlight in .270 bought new last year from Cabela's. Actually, I didn't buy it new. Rather a guy in my office did and a few months later his wife got pregnant and, well, you know the deal- she made him sell his guns. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I have a Zeiss HD5 2-10x42 mounted on it in Leupold medium rings. I've ran 100 rounds through it, and have never had any ejection problems whatsoever.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My left hand Sako 85 Hunter with a Benchmark barrel in 270 Win ejects perfectly. I know a few others have had a problem but my sample of one works great.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 02/19/17.

Gerry.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had Sako 85 Flinnlight in 25-06 and 30 wsm after hundreds of rounds neither had that issue.

Ted
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My 30-06 Finnlight would sometimes kiss the bottom of the scope but always ejected from rifle fully. I bought a Sako extractor kit from Brownells which included; extractor, stronger spring, and plunger. After replacing all 3 parts it hasn't kissed the bottom of scope ever.

To answer bsa's question why they changed the design? They switched to a 3 lug bolt so a lug was right in the way of old ejector location. They put it at 6 so it didn't slide through one of the lugs which aren't as large as 2 lug actions.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned several long action 85's and they all ejected at a high angle but a few would eject so high that they would hit the scope, the only cure I could come up with was high rings (which i hate) .......To answer your question the Sako model 85 6 o'clock ejector design is still exactly the same so its one of those "buyer beware" kind of deals.....If I really thought I had to have another 85 I would buy a short action or short action magnum ....I had several 308/7-08 Finnlights and 1 in .300 WSM and none of those had ejection issues......you did very well getting Beretta to buy back your rifle as they refused to buy either of mine......Good luck.......Hb

G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks, and good to hear that your 85's are giving you good service. When I was having my trouble, I remember a camper told me that when Sako went with 3 locking lugs, and their so-called control feed, the ejector had to be moved to the 6:00 position. I would still like to have a Finnlight, but you know how it goes, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I ended up buying a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather in .270 Win. It is somewhat heavier than the 85 Finnlight, but you can mount your scope lower, and it throws a spent round at right angle with authority. Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, and hope you continue to have good service with your 85's.

G2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Gramps that's mostly correct except they went to a 6 oclock ejector on the 75, the first 3 lug. Then modified the bolt face for 85 allowing for quasi controlled feed. I've had WSM's in 85 that were the worst for ejection angle sometimes falling back into the action backwards. It can happen on any size 85 action IME.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/20/17.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought a used M85 7x64 Bavarian two years ago. It had ejection issues as described. Put in a slightly stronger/longer Gre-tan extractor spring, and all is good, perfectly reliable. It was a $5 fix.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am extremely OK with having a 1,500+ rifle cost me ~1000 when it only takes a $5 spring to make it right.

smile

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! It looks like if the fix was that easy Sako would have taken care of that simple fix years ago.............Hb

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hillbilly that is a naive statement ...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeez, this is deja vu all over again. G2 described what I experienced with a .205 Ruger and a .270 Win.. Never again will I look at another Sako 85. I'd settle for a Tikka or a RAR before that nightmare.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Hillbilly that is a naive statement ...
Spot, I dissagree here.... if the fix is so easy as to just install a heavier spring I'm sure the engineers at Sako would have recognized this and taken care of this issue many moons ago......I dont doubt your word one bit that it worked for you and I'm glad your 85's are running right, I just dont think that installing a heavier spring is a universal fix for the notorious Sako 85 ejection issue......Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Horseman
My 30-06 Finnlight would sometimes kiss the bottom of the scope but always ejected from rifle fully. I bought a Sako extractor kit from Brownells which included; extractor, stronger spring, and plunger. After replacing all 3 parts it hasn't kissed the bottom of scope ever.

To answer bsa's question why they changed the design? They switched to a 3 lug bolt so a lug was right in the way of old ejector location. They put it at 6 so it didn't slide through one of the lugs which aren't as large as 2 lug actions.

Ah ha.. Thanks for answering that question.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep - a the brownells kit contains the springs I used as well... smile

HB - I took Sako a dozen years to change the design on thier scope rings to a less soft head that wouldn't strip out.. And this only occured when multiple rep's chewed thier tail.

Engineers have HUGE ego's... I should know, I are one.

Either way, stronger spring, and making sure you claw is right and you are good to go.

THEY could and probably will reconfigure things in the Sako 25 ? (2025)

But like I said, if you are counting on an engineer to say "i was wrong" you are going to wait, a long,long time.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/21/17.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Spot, I do know one thing for sure and that is your damn sure right about the soft screws, they were pitiful......Hb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bump for TopCatheter

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (204guy, 222Sako, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.