Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad

The point was the above stated "526 yard shot" which the poster that made the comment feels is a limiter for a Partition in wind. I just frankly disagree with that. At that range, comparing an equal weight/speed ballistic tip to a partition, the difference in drift between the two will be around 4 inches. If you can't compensate for that you shouldn't be shooting at that distance, because regardless both are going to be way off target in, say, a 10 mph cross wind.

I've shot plenty at range in wind, and inside of 550 yards (which is pretty much absolute max I'd shoot at an animal) the ability to adjust a few extra inches isn't a deal killer.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot an animal in a 10 mph cross wind at 526 yards anyway. Farthest I've shot a critter was a bedded antelope at 548 yards, ironically, with a 180 Partition. There was no way to get closer, and the wind was blowing directly at me. I had plenty of time, knew the rifle, and could get a solid "nest." One shot kill. But it's generally possible to get closer. Much closer, which to me is what hunting is all about. But that's a separate discussion...

All of that, plus we have to figure how much a crosswind will "knock down" the trajectory of a bullet.

By the time a guy does all of those calculations the critter has done given birth to the next generation........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience with partitions is limited mostly to the rifle range as I have almost always (one instance) had much better accuracy with other bullets.

Before I went to Africa I compared 180gr NP, GMX, TTSX, plus a 200gr NP. The NP's could not group with the monometals.

I know this thread is about NA animals, but I have had the same results with the 130/150/160gr out my 270's. Just not as accurate as I would like.

The exception was a 210gr NP out of a 338-06. It shot just as well as the 200gr Interlocks and to the exact same point of aim. I could mix the two loads and get sub 1 inch groups.

I prefer not to use NP's because of the accuracy issue I have encountered. Not horrible accuracy, just not as good as other bullets.

But I do not doubt their effectiveness having using the 210gr NP on a couple of elk and a few deer.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 1minute
I have had two instances where Nosler Combined Technology slugs (partitions) hit a rib going in on elk and never touched the far side of the body cavity. Both were 30 caliber 180 grainers starting out at about 3,400+ ft per sec from a Weatherby 30-378. I think that's just a bit too fast for that construction. Both bulls died within a few feet shortly there after, so I can't say they were inadequate.

Three years ago a youngster with a 270 and 150gr NPt shot a cow broadside in the armpit at about 50 yds. Bullet passed clear through and the cow folded immediately without taking a step.

Two days later I shot a trotting cow in the armpit slightly quartering away at 30 yds with a 270 and 150 NPt--twice. Neither bullet exited but she died within 30 yds of the first shot. I found both bullets against the off side hide. I handloaded for both rifles and the bullets were from the same bag.

One can't always predict the performance of the bullet or the reaction of the critter.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CRS
My experience with partitions is limited mostly to the rifle range as I have almost always (one instance) had much better accuracy with other bullets.

Before I went to Africa I compared 180gr NP, GMX, TTSX, plus a 200gr NP. The NP's could not group with the monometals.

I know this thread is about NA animals, but I have had the same results with the 130/150/160gr out my 270's. Just not as accurate as I would like.

The exception was a 210gr NP out of a 338-06. It shot just as well as the 200gr Interlocks and to the exact same point of aim. I could mix the two loads and get sub 1 inch groups.

I prefer not to use NP's because of the accuracy issue I have encountered. Not horrible accuracy, just not as good as other bullets.

But I do not doubt their effectiveness having using the 210gr NP on a couple of elk and a few deer.

With a few exceptions, my experience with NPt's is they don't group as small as other--accurate-- bullets. An example is NBT's may group 3 shots at 3/4", Npt's from the same rifle may do 1". But once I reach a threshold of accuracy, bullet construction becomes more important.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by CRS

With a few exceptions, my experience with NPt's is they don't group as small as other--accurate-- bullets. An example is NBT's may group 3 shots at 3/4", Npt's from the same rifle may do 1". But once I reach a threshold of accuracy, bullet construction becomes more important.

Casey

On the other hand, some guns shoot Partitions best of all.

I have a .240 HS SPL that prefers 100 gr. NPT's over MRP, half MOA at 400 yds.

No regrets when that happens.

DF

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What ingwe said..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GregW
Well, guess you don't respect a lot of folks then Brad who by the way are really really good hunters, they just are different from how you see your little slice of elk woods and go about your business. Just a silly moral superiority thing you seem to have, sometimes called an elitest attitude.

The most common element in your posts Brad as I peruse 24HC that seem to be commonplace with you is when you let your emotional attachment to things cause you to start your passive-aggressive little barbs which leads you to lecture us all on Brad's rules of personal conduct while hunting or going about life.

It was a bullet discussion. Don't turn it into something else. Start a thread on Berger's discussing their limitations. I'll chime right in...

Talk about reading something into something that isn't there. You're obviously too thin skinned to have an honest and open exchange of ideas and PERSONAL preference.

Oh come on...

Why don't you expound on your "open exchange of ideas and personal preference" backtrack that hunters that consider BC in a hunting bullet you have no respect for...

Hell of an ignorant statement...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=alpinecrick] ..But once I reach a threshold of accuracy, bullet construction becomes more important.

On the subject of thresholds, people have different and often multiple ones -
accuracy,down range vel-energy, drift, drop, penetration, exit holes, meat damage,etc
there are bullets today that improve on some of those things over a NP.

Nosler would not be offering designs like the LR-ABs if that wasn't the case.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GregW

Oh come on...

Why don't you expound on your "open exchange of ideas and personal preference" backtrack that hunters that consider BC in a hunting bullet you have no respect for...

Hell of an ignorant statement...

What I actually wrote (not what you "think" I said) was I have "little" (not "no" as you say) respect for hunters shooting game at ranges where BC means something (which for me is past 600 yards). I've stated I think bullet construction is something to be more concerned about than BC on game. If you think BC is a deal breaker inside 600 yards (I've stated I don't), fine. That's an extension of the discussion. You could have asked for clarification, but instead chose to get your feelers hurt and launch a personal attack. Not everyone is required (as apparently you think) to buy into group-think when it comes to this sport.

But I also have little respect for anyone that shoots game at the distances where a high BC bullet has to enter into the discussion. Targets are one thing, big game another.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Brad makes some good points.

B.C. is of more concern to a LR shooter fighting cross winds, not so much for the typical big game hunter, most shots under 400 yds and closer.

Terminal performance is a much bigger issue. IMO, it's an art, matching velocity with bullet construction for optimal effect.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Brad makes some good points.

B.C. is of more concern to a LR shooter fighting cross winds, not so much for the typical big game hunter, most shots under 400 yds and closer.

Terminal performance is a much bigger issue. IMO, it's an art, matching velocity with bullet construction for optimal effect.

DF

Amen DF. This is a big deal to me, as we have killed big mule deer at 30 yds, and at 450 yds. We never know. I want a bullet that performs as advertised in both circumstances. I've found AB's and partitions do exactly that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Starman

On the subject of thresholds, people have different and often multiple ones -
accuracy,down range vel-energy, drift, drop, penetration, exit holes, meat damage,etc
there are bullets today that improve on some of those things over a NP.

Nosler would not be offering designs like the LR-ABs if that wasn't the case.

Yeah, I thought of that when I wrote that sentence. Obviously the threshold would be different if a guy was planning on shooting at 800 yds rather than 400 yds. And hitting a coyote at 400 yds is different than hitting an elk at the same distance.

But as I've posted before the NPt performs very well on game across the widest range of velocities better than other bullets I've observed.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is touching on the 24HCF fashion of fast-twist barrels and long sleek bullets that so many here are enamored of. That's fine, as Brad says, if you are swinging steel plates at a thousand or shooting game at a half mile, but largly unnecessary with a game-shot ethic of "500 yards or under."

Of course guys customize sports cars to cruise Main Street slowly too..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
What ingwe said..

People listen to ingwe?

Who knew.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
too bad BobinNH isnt with us to weigh in on this discussion,

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
too bad BobinNH isnt with use to weigh in on this discussion

Funny, I was thinking the same.

And you know if he's watching he's really pissed that he can't chime in....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread is yet another example of the decline of incivility on this forum.

We used to be able to ARGUE about this one. No more; now it's all kumbaya BS and "good point!" and.... and... empathy of all things. Ye gods.

Yeah...... Bob would've had fun on this one. Sigh.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For those who want to control as many of the variables as possible AFTER the bullet hits the critter.... there's the Partition. Variables here include: quick moving shots, angles, big bones, JeffO ass-shots, etc....

For those who want to control as many of the variables as possible UNTIL the bullet hits the critter.... there's a veritable cornucopia of high BC bullets. These variables include wind, extended range, accuracy, etc...

The shots you like to take... and the places you're likely to hunt... should influence you choice in projectiles much more than what a bunch of "get off my lawn" guys say on the internet.

Interesting that most of your "tinfoil bullets" are also heavy for caliber bullets shot at moderate speeds (2700-3000 fps). Seems to me that heavy for caliber, cup & core bullets, at moderate speeds have been killing the schitt outta stuff for 100+ years.... but all of a sudden they're inadequate because they're also "high BC long-range bullets".

I bet if you handed JOC a 7 Mag loaded with 162s he'd be aweful f'n impressed with its ability to a) hit schitt.... and b) kill schitt....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by southtexas
too bad BobinNH isnt with use to weigh in on this discussion

Funny, I was thinking the same.

And you know if he's watching he's really pissed that he can't chime in....

Well I believe I can help you, Bob in just the recent past initiated a PM to discuss projectiles
and his reference to NPs is the final statement on the subject he made to me:

(01/02/17)
"I agree with your comments on the Aframe....I have them but they have seen little use because I also have a lot of Bitterroots
which behave the same way....The Partition is a safe harbor. There are better things today but I'm not ready to toss them into the trash heap yet!"

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
For those who want to control as many of the variables as possible AFTER the bullet hits the critter.... there's the Partition. Variables here include: quick moving shots, angles, big bones, JeffO ass-shots, etc....

For those who want to control as many of the variables as possible UNTIL the bullet hits the critter.... there's a veritable cornucopia of high BC bullets. These variables include wind, extended range, accuracy, etc...

The shots you like to take... and the places you're likely to hunt... should influence you choice in projectiles much more than what a bunch of "get off my lawn" guys say on the internet.

Interesting that most of your "tinfoil bullets" are also heavy for caliber bullets shot at moderate speeds (2700-3000 fps). Seems to me that heavy for caliber, cup & core bullets, at moderate speeds have been killing the schitt outta stuff for 100+ years.... but all of a sudden they're inadequate because they're also "high BC long-range bullets".

I bet if you handed JOC a 7 Mag loaded with 162s he'd be aweful f'n impressed with its ability to a) hit schitt.... and b) kill schitt....

You said it way better that I tried too...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.