Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeap that is what I am going to do..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
BP-B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cigar
I am looking to build a platform blind 10 or 15 feet up.. Can't get any motorized vehicle back there... Any Plans out there ?

There are plenty of plans. A lot of them are free.

The trick is to find ideas that can be hand-carried a piece at a time.

Pre-cut the wood and then mark it and bundle it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have you got a toolbox that goes across the bed of your pickup?

I've often just backed my pickup into a likely spot, and just sat on the toolbox, facing rearward (to the front of the truck).

Cheap (FREE!) and portable, so to speak. It won't get as high as some of the pics shown, but where I hunt, I don't need to get much higher.

Most of the time, I just find a big tree and sit against it at ground level, and I have just taken a folding chair out and sat in it instead of on the wet ground. Most of the ground I hunt is rolling hills/pasture/crop fields, so it works pretty well, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
At my hunting camp we've built some elevated platforms like you've shown in the first picture then put a pop-up blind like the primos double bull on top of them. Screw some eyelets into the platform and use big zip ties to anchor them to the platform. Put a folding canvas chair inside and hunt in comfort, I've even been known to take a portable buddy heater into them. At the end of the season cut the zip ties and take the blind down for storage until next year. It works great.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Have you got a toolbox that goes across the bed of your pickup?

I've often just backed my pickup into a likely spot, and just sat on the toolbox, facing rearward (to the front of the truck).

Cheap (FREE!) and portable, so to speak. It won't get as high as some of the pics shown, but where I hunt, I don't need to get much higher.

That would be a violation of state law in Michigan...hunting from a vehicle.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/26/17.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to do some work on a blind sans electricity lately too. Best part of it for me was that it gave me a reason to use hand saws (remember what those look like??) that Dad had given me last year. They belonged to my grandpa and when Dad asked if he owned anything I might want to inherit I mentioned only those. My goodness what good saws. Compared to the cheap-a$$ miter box chop saw these were a dream and made short work of the small tasks. Thank God Dad knows how to keep stuff sharp.

Didn't mean to hijack- just wanted to share. Hopefully you will build some memories while building the blind too. Looking forward to seeing your final product. The blind I am working on is getting a new cam paint job soon. I will share.....I mean unless it looks awful. :-)

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Build it out of 2x2's and 1/2 plywood. There is bound to be a welding shop that can build you a platform. If you lived close I would build you one. Ain't much to it, my boy likes building that kind of stuff. He has been welding since he was 12.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
A camp I used to hunt out of had several ground blinds built on plastic pallets with pressure treated 4x4 skids under them. A little lumber and some old metal roofing for the sides and roof worked pretty good. Being able to move them was a plus when the deer's travel routes changed. We would move them with ATVs.
For the sides and roof, I think its hard to beat Coroplast - that plastic stiff they make signs from. Basically plastic cardboard. Comes in colors, different thicknesses (I use 5mm), fairly inexpensive, weatherproof,light (maybe 4 pounds per 4x8 sheet), can be easily cut with a utility knife, attached with fender washers and drywall screws. What's not to like?

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by benchman
For the sides and roof, I think its hard to beat Coroplast - that plastic stiff they make signs from. Basically plastic cardboard. Comes in colors, different thicknesses (I use 5mm), fairly inexpensive, weatherproof,light (maybe 4 pounds per 4x8 sheet), can be easily cut with a utility knife, attached with fender washers and drywall screws. What's not to like?

Coroplast even comes in camo now. You can get a 4X8 sheet for under $30 at Lowes. What I worry about is
1) Durability
2) How it holds up to sunlight.

What is your experience with it.

In a similar vein, we had a lady over at the Deer & Deer Hunting forum that used regular corrugated cardboard clad with cheap camo poly tarp for her blinds. They were impressive and cheap and they held up for multiple seasons.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
358 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.