Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kellory
the purpose of prepping, is to create a safety net, to Coast through those low times. most of your grandparents would have been called Preppers by today's standard. Frozen, canned, dried, salted, pickled, or live on the hoof, you stored food or you didn't eat very well through the winter.
Six months worth of stored food would be a small safety margin. I know of a Mormon church that requires the man set aside two years worth, before he is allowed to marry in the church. This to prove he can provide for a family.
( I used to work in a Mormon owned machine shop.)

I'm Mormon and I never heard anything like that before.. must be one of those offshoots of the LDS church..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The loss of life of loved ones far exceeds the hurt of financial setbacks. Money can be renewed, lives can not.

I always try to keep that in mind.

You're almost always a smart azz , and make me grin often with your reparte

Sometimes the emphasis is on the azz

Oftentimes on the smart

This post was the latter

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been really fortunate but even with that good fortune I've suffered my share of 5 and six figure hits

Close to the top of those hits was when I shut a biz down to care for my wife when she had cancer, but I was burnt out running that biz anyway

So grateful to be back at work, but even more grateful she's healthy and mean again

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by kellory
the purpose of prepping, is to create a safety net, to Coast through those low times. most of your grandparents would have been called Preppers by today's standard. Frozen, canned, dried, salted, pickled, or live on the hoof, you stored food or you didn't eat very well through the winter.
Six months worth of stored food would be a small safety margin. I know of a Mormon church that requires the man set aside two years worth, before he is allowed to marry in the church. This to prove he can provide for a family.
( I used to work in a Mormon owned machine shop.)

I'm Mormon and I never heard anything like that before.. must be one of those offshoots of the LDS church..

Yeah, I know. It is not a standard of the religion, but of that particular Church. (I still have a book of Mormon from thier attempts to convert me, as I was the only non-Mormon employee)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
So bad that my bologna didn't have a first name.
Now that's bad......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
When my first son ws born premature and was med-evaced to Denver for 7 weeks , we found out that my wife's school district employer saved money on their health care plan by capping coverages. Flight for life max benefit, $400, ICU, $900/day max benefit etc. That nailed us for over $150,000 and then two weeks after he was born I lost about $250,000 in a weather-related business event that wiped me out completely.

Fun times, but son is graduating high school this spring in the top 5% of his class.

Glad to hear your son is well and thriving. Medical bills are crippling. When my dad passed, he spent 3 weeks in guarded intensive care before he finally gave up his fight. The bills were astronomical. The hospital wrote off most of what his insurance wouldn't cover. Our bill was well over 100K.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lost 60k plus my time on a couple of lawsuits I advanced litigation costs on that didn't pan out. I was a bit younger then and had bunch more gambler in me. Experience has made me much more cautious. On the flip side I made 90K for a phone call in one case.

Perry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gambled when I bought the house, a "low hanging fruit" of 2010. I had finished my last Army Reserve mobilization and went back to my civilian job, a City employee, and humbly grateful I that I had a job.

One incompetent clerk, kicked out of every other city office, screwed up my pay badly, shorting me $2400 my first month back. I was just under $200 short of making all my obligations. With a pregnant girlfriend, her two sons, and their cousins living with us as their family had fallen apart. I went to my Union but that was fruitless. The City countered with a threat to withhold $80,000 from my next paycheck (news flash: I do not make $80,000 a month as a cop)claiming they over payed me while I was deployed.

When I threatened to go to the Labor Board, the reprisals happened. I was whispered to in the latrine by a Sergeant that he was ordered to remove my name from all forthcoming commendations. Work, though minor, that I did was credited to others. Then I was brought up on criminal charges by our Internal Affairs office for an event that happened four hours after I was off-duty and at home.

I was cleared in the formal investigation, but I missed my daughter's birth while being grilled by former comrades who were not climbing the ladder.

The first negative mark on my credit report nullified my Security Clearance and thus ended my military career. Down to only one paycheck, Debt soared as I made only minimum payments and broke contracts. Gas and groceries went on the credit cards. Luckily, I had a minor but good collection of guns that kept me from losing the house. There were rough times. Her boys were bitter during their High School years but have grown into fine young men. One had run away but grew up fast, learning the truth about hard times and good people versus frauds and hustlers.

It is my fault for not having a enough money saved to prevent the catastrophic cascade of debt. I am still struggling but will soon sell off everything gun and hunting related and concentrate on maximizing money and minimizing debt. I am too old for this and the girls need braces and clothes.

Wah. Sniveling over, for now.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years/years ago ...we got a food box. frown

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
In the market crash about 15 years back my IRA took about a $40K hit. Took about 7 years to get it back. Bailed on the recent housing related crash, so lost nothing there.

Been lucky and saved a lot, so have never been hit with a life changing situation.

2008 was the big crash for me. I lost close to 200k. Fortunately, most of that was money I'd made on the market so I guess it's easy come, easy go. Real estate has always been kind to us, although I think possibly Canada is in for a bit of a burst bubble in the next few years.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
In 1978 my father and I were farming together and my wife just had our first child. We were building a new house for my parents and we were going to move into the old farm house using the new house a partial down payment on my buy-in on the farm. On December 12, my father suffered a massive heart attack and died at 7:00 pm. At 1:00 am on the 13th our neighbor called and said the new house had burned down. Two teenagers had gone on a pyro-rampage and burned about half a dozen properties including our house. The insurance on the house only covered the building materials but none of the labor. I went in the hole about $100k. Friends and neighbors helped with building our dairy herd and dairy facility. With my father gone I had to buy more equipment to handle the crops etc...but things were going o.k. A friend and I started building houses to supplement our incomes. We borrowed money to finance the business.

That gap-toothed kocksucker, jimmy carter, decided to raise the interest rates to slow down the economy. In the spring of '80, I had to borrow $100k to put my crops in. The bank charged me 19% and 6 points loan origination fee on a 1 year chatel loan. Land, cattle and used equipment values dropped like a rock. The farm next to mine sold for $2,500 @ acre in '76 . The spring of '80 it sold for $540 @ acre. The houses we had invested in on speculation had to go to the bank and we realized about $100k loss on both of them. The dairy subsidy kept us afloat but we were going farther in the hole everyday on interest payments. I began selling life insurance to make ends meet.

In the spring of '83 our second daughter was born prematurely. My wife had some severe complications from the birth and had to be in the hospital for a couple weeks. Our health insurance didn't cover "pregnancy and the complications thereof". At the same time our first girl came down with pnemonia and was in ICU for almost a week. My whole family was in the hospital and I came down with pink-eye so they wouldn't let me visit them.

In 1983, I was offered the management position in the largest insurance agency in the area and took it. We liquidated everything but the the home place and a few head of stock cows. We still owed about $1,000,000 to the bank. My banker told me it was time to declare bankruptcy sell out and move to California. The SOB almost had me convinced when he fell down the stairs in his house and broke his neck. I had a friend who worked in another bank who wanted a chance to restructure our loans. He saved us a ton of $ and gave us some good advice on careers. Within seven years we had paid the loan down under $100k. Our daughters both went to good schools and have no student loans.

Today we have a nice house, own some nice rental/investment properties and have a little in the bank.

And, we don't owe anyone anything except frickkin' taxes.

It has been a struggle but God is always good and always faithful.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

...It has been a struggle but God is always good and always faithful...

Amen to that!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a business my wife and I started up from scratch taken away as the result of a lawsuit. Legal fees ended up in 5-figures. Loss of income was ~$25-30k per year. Business had been going for just over 2 years and was finally starting to gel. Value of the business was approaching 6-figures and don't know where it might've gone.

Didn't ruin us financially. Was one of those learning situations. My wife said this is the time my kids learned the F word from many phone conversations they overheard.

Montana MOFO
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Congratulations Johnny for holding on and pushing on through.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some of the experiences on here sound pretty grave. But it reminds me of something I try to keep in mind when faced with difficulties.

If money can fix it, it isn't that serious.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by Gus
ok, not to poke anyone in the eye, but the cows got stolen. they got shipped to a sale point. they got off-loaded and probably sent to a processing plant. wal-mart, ingles, kroger, sprouts, publix whomever agreed to display the animal parts in their meat dispaly cases.

so, the person who "failed" to protect his herd lost valuable assets.

there's people in downtown inner cities getting to eat beef because of how the process is structured. now, is that all that bad?

seriously, an asset that is valuable has to be secured, controlled, and looked after.

so, who failed to prevent the theft? anyone know for sure?

What an [bleep].

I laugh at your stone ravings sometimes, and you seem(ed) like a harmless enough guy, but this is a douchy thing to say.

+1
Gus has always had this whiny thing going on about how he had to go somewhere and do something he didn't choose to do.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.