24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I contacted captdavid. We are talking about possibly hunting out of our camp in Pa. in 2018. I'd have him down this year, but I won't be going due to a wedding in Ohio for my niece in September. Can't swing two trips back in such a short time. 'Wish I had the $$$$, but it's not in the cards. Hopefully we hunt together in 2018, with possibly T-Zone, EFW and MJBGALT.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the early muzzleloader season in PA might be to your liking. its in october and a week or two before the rut. it could be 25 or 75. leaves are still colorful and you can hunt a few hours in the morning, take a nap and close out the day for a few hours in the evening.

My diploma is a DD214
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Anticosti Island in Quebec has a season that opens in September and continues into December. There are lots of deer (not especially big ones, though), no high fences and usually reasonable weather early in the season. It might meet your requirements for a northern deer hunt.
The New Hampshire rifle season begins in mid-November. The weather can be mild or very cold; I have never seen a heated blind here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Come up and hunt with me this fall. We have ladder stands set up. I have a couple of private farms farms I hunt, and lots of public land. NH is tough, for deerhunting, 50/50, maybe for a weeks hunt. Spring gobbler season, I could almost gaurantee a bird. I'm 65 with a double knee replacement, so I don't work as hard at it as I used to, alot more stand sitting.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have hunted in shorts a bunch of times. Most of the time in bow season. Chicken legs attract deer.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No heated blinds, we usually use the shake&bake warmers. A couple by the kidneys, and we're good to go. A thermos of hot coffee helps.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We may freeze our buts off, but we don't have any rattlesnakes. Those Texas diamondbacks give me the heebyjeebys.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
On a lease we had for two years we only killed 3 over 5". The scariest thing is we were driving back to camp. About 150yds from camp, about a 6" was crossing the road. We ran over it. When we backed up to see, it came out of the brush and attacked the truck. That still gives me the chills. We never found it! We certainly watched where we walked around the camp. Wwwwrrrr! Captdavid

Last edited by captdavid; 02/13/17.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dang... I carry a 410 single shot pistol to pop an occasional ruffed grouse...

It takes on a new function in your country!

Snake steak anyone?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
They taste like OWL:) the water boy's mother says the knee is the best.
Actually I attended a function, where they had two, five gallon Buckets, filled with rattlesnake steaks, covered in Tabasco sauce. Fried they kinda tasted like a catfish-frog legs blend. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't mind tryin 'em on a plate. It's the live ones I want nothing to do with. I've had gator, and thought it was pretty good. I imagine rattler tastes similar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by captdavid
On a lease we had for two years we only killed 3 over 5". The scariest thing is we were driving back to camp. About 150yds from camp, about a 6" was crossing the road. We ran over it. When we backed up to see, it came out of the brush and attacked the truck. That still gives me the chills. We never found it! We certainly watched where we walked around the camp. Wwwwrrrr! Captdavid

Must have good eyes to see a 6-inch snake crossing the road.😛

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
They may be small, but as we say, 'it's not the size of the snake in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the snake!' Would you believe that is between the eyes!!? Thanks I changed it, captdavid

O
O
alright ill speak up for northern mich. get out your maps of mich and look at alpena , montmorency and presque isle countys. theses 3 countys all but up against each other and have tons of open stae land. also these 3 countys are in a deer management area. you can purchase multiple doe tags every day throughout the seasons. motels are cheap in these areas .plenty of mom and pop type hotels and resturants.air fair and a rental car would be your largest expense. archery starts oct 1 thru nov 14 . fire arm of any sort and caliber except.22 cal can be used during the fire arm season which starts nov 15 thru nov 30 . then archery starts again untill muzzle load opens usually around the 10 of dec. for a week then there are more seasons till the 1st of the year.local processing pkg and freezing till you leave only about 80 bucks, , oct nov and dec my family cant remember what i look like cuz im out huntin. plus your only about an hour at most ffrom any of the great lakes and the mackinac bridge one of the largest suspenion bridges in the world 5 miles long. nuff said

assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking hard about heading to the UP for the Mich. gun season. I've often wanted to do it but the season hits at the same time as PA bear and deer so I haven't yet. Might this year. Thinking about WI too. I have to check when their season is.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Michigan would be cool. I am planning another bear/deer trip to the Adirondacks this year. I did one in 2015 and had a great time but didn't come back with any meat. I like how the season opens early and there is endless forest to roam.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by moosemike
I don't even enjoy hunting if it gets up to 50°. Hunting weather to me is in the 20-45° range.

+1

Ted
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Cap, have you ever hunted the Big Thicket?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well, at least the edge of it. Mainly the Davey Crockett national forest. I lived in the Nacogdoches Lufkin area for 20yrs. I didn't hunt it hard for deer, harder for hogs and harder yet for squirrels. I saw a few tails on the latter. As far as deer hunting I did a little still hunting, but mainly ambush. I saw a few more tails, and had a couple of iffy shots, but didn't take. There are pastures (leases) now, that are under management and the hunting has improved immensely. Of course these are on private land. Captdavid

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I asked because we have a member here who use to post frequently who grew up in that area and had much success. Said he always hunted public land. Can't recall his name off hand.

Last edited by websterparish47; 02/20/17.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.