Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shaman
I want to say up front that I have never shot at a deer with buckshot. I have never hunted in a state that allowed it. I don't, therefore, want to be mistaken for an expert on this. I also don't want this to seem like I'm knocking buckshot or its use on Whitetails.

What I do know about it is that before the advent of modern seasons, buckshot was very popular for deer. A lot of that popularity came from cultural inertia. Folks had been spraying shot at Whitetail deer since white men set foot on the continent. At moderate ranges it worked, at least by the standards of the time. What were those standards? In general, the mindset of an early 19th Century Whitetail hunter was to put a ball into the deer any way he could and then put the dogs on it. One shot was generally not expected to bring down an animal. Often the finisher was delivered with a knife.

Even with the advent of centerfire rifle, no one really changed their way of looking at things. Teddy Roosevelt writes about putting 13 rounds into a single doe in a long pursuit after putting the first round into her rump while on a meat hunt out West. No, he wasn't using buckshot. However, he was sort of simulating it. Nobody was really planning about dropping a Whitetail on the first shot, or at least they were not expecting it.

That kind of mindset was even in Jack O'Connor's earlier work, and you can see it in the whole "Brush Busting" mindset. Folks were encouraged to shoot at whatever part of the animal was sticking out of cover, or to even shoot through heavy cover to reach it. The idea was still to put a ball in to get a blood trail and then track the animal until you could put in a finisher.

I've got stuff on my shelf from the Thirties and Forties extolling the use of buckshot out to 80 yards. Now, you folks that are experienced with buckshot can tell me: 80 yards with buckshot? What would you expect the outcome to be? I'm not knocking buckshot, mind you. I'm just saying the mindset of these hunters was considerably different from today's "One-shot/One-kill" view of things.

If you look at the responses on this thread, they pretty well match what I've been hearing from folks for the past 40 years. At what most people consider to be bow hunting ranges, buckshot is just as effective as any other round. The results are highly variable, shotgun by shotgun and load by load. Some wouldn't trust buck past 30 yards. Some trust it out past 50. YMMV-- in this case there is an emphasis on the "V." What you find is that the further out you go, folks' expectations change, and their idea of acceptable losses due to wounding goes up.

These ideas all die hard. Did you ever wonder why a quintessential "hunting knife" was so long, when it's so unwieldy up inside a Whitetail? The reason, in part, is that hunters needed a long blade to reach the vitals. In the autobiography of Mishack Browning, he discusses his favorite method of dispatching a buck was to mount the wounded animal and ride it while plunging his knife into the vitals. The idea of slitting a deer's throat? That's only effective if the animal is still alive. I would also warn that early hunting memoirs discussed how wolf packs followed the hunters, living off the leavings and running down the woundings, often in concert with the hunter's own dogs.

Is buckshot effective against a Whitetail? Yes, especially if you expect to be hopping on its back to finish it off. I'm not knocking the practice. I'm just saying know what you're getting yourself into.

I"ve shot a handful with buckshot.. probably around 10... I've never had to finish a single one.

The problem with ANYTHING, know the limits of what you are using, and know YOUR limits. Beyond that the rest can GFY basically.

Of course I grew up listening to a few folks, then realizing not everythign they said was true re hunting. Dad did not deer hutn.. So I learned to listen, but then to verify it all myself before trusting anything.

Like a post on another thread, how do you get your drops for say a 500 yard shot? FLIPPING DUH? Shoot at 500 yards. There is NO other way... if you have any ethics.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm pretty sure that the muzzle energy of each 00 pellet is somewhere between a 22 LR and a 22 WMR. As a result, you need to use it at close range. The farther you get, the close it will be in performance to a .22 LR because the round projectile will lose velocity quickly.

For me, 00 buckshot is for inside of 40 yards and only where safety requires a short range projectile. Personally, I think it serves a roll in that limited situation but is not an otherwise good deer load. In fact, if I had to choose I would take the energy, accuracy and penetration (higher bc and jacketed) of a 22 WMR over 00 buckshot. Fortunately, where rifles are legal, we have far better options.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

I"ve shot a handful with buckshot.. probably around 10... I've never had to finish a single one.

The problem with ANYTHING, know the limits of what you are using, and know YOUR limits. Beyond that the rest can GFY basically.

Of course I grew up listening to a few folks, then realizing not everythign they said was true re hunting. Dad did not deer hutn.. So I learned to listen, but then to verify it all myself before trusting anything.

Like a post on another thread, how do you get your drops for say a 500 yard shot? FLIPPING DUH? Shoot at 500 yards. There is NO other way... if you have any ethics.

I could not agree more. I suppose my whole point of even putting a comment in on this thread was to mention folks' expectations changed over the generations. I did not mean to suggest you or the rest of the folks that have commented have inhumane standards or that you're always having to run around finishing deer off with a knife.

The example I posted earlier today kind of points that way: it's a graphic of how a 20GA #3 buckshot load worked in 1942. I'm wondering a) 20 GA? b) #3??? Somebody help me out here: does that sound adequate for a 100 yard shot at a Whitetail? My point is someone back then must have thought it was.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by fldoghunter

I've got stuff on my shelf from the Thirties and Forties extolling the use of buckshot out to 80 yards. Now, you folks that are experienced with buckshot can tell me: 80 yards with buckshot? What would you expect the outcome to be? I'm not knocking buckshot, mind you. I'm just saying the mindset of these hunters was considerably different from today's "One-shot/One-kill" view of things.

I have a lot of experience with buckshot. After quite a bit of experimenting, I have a setup I trust out to 70 yards. My Super Black eagle will put 16 00s into 20" at 60 yards every time.

I only remember one I had to finish killing with a knife. I had shot him high with a .270 breaking his back.

What choke and shells please. You may have a good hundred yard coyote gun with 4 Buck. Nice to have when 3-5 come in together.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don't know how it shoots #4 buck, but I'm shooting a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 with 3.5" Remington 00 through a tru lock extra full choke. The Tru lock extra full is the same constriction as the factory full. I wanted an extended tube to protect the end of the barrel. The factory full actually shot a little better, it didn't lose 2 pellets. I have a jellyhead that was also very tight, but it shot high. The jellyhead held the same 13" pattern, but held a very tight core. It would always keep 12-13 in an 8" pattern, with the rest opening it up to 13".

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot #2 Remington through a Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke. It's the same one I use for turkey hunting using Federal lead #4 3" 12 GA. I haven't done anything close to 100 yards, but it's flipped a yote at 60.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hey Shaman,
Can you clarify this statement please. It really matters to me: "It's the same one I use for turkey hunting using Federal lead #4 3" 12 GA. I haven't done anything close to 100 yards, but it's flipped a yote at 60".
I believe you are saying you use #4 lead shot on turkeys and #2 shot for coyotes. What kind of shot do you hunt Deer with???

I am wanting to buy another choke for my Remington 870 with remchoke. Currently have modified. I also want to reload or buy my own shotgun shells for best pattern.
THANKS for the clarification
ABLE

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I shoot #2 Remington through a Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke. It's the same one I use for turkey hunting using Federal lead #4 3" 12 GA. I haven't done anything close to 100 yards, but it's flipped a yote at 60.

Shaman, you should look at that pattern at 80 and 100. I figure 3-4 hits on a coyote at 100 would end its deer killing days.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ipopum
... I did not take time to shoulder the gun but whirled and fired from the hip....

What a dick.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me clarify:

1) I've never shot at deer with shot. I'm not against it, I've just never hunted anywhere where it was legal.

2) I have a Mossberg 500 that I use as a dedicated turkey gun, and also a backup gun for coyote hunting. We hunt a 2-man setup. One covers the front door, facing the decoy and uses a scoped .223 REM or 25/06. The other uses the Mossy with a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke and #2 shot for the close-in shots coming through the back door.

3) I use #4 lead birdshot on the Turkeys through the same rig. That load has also taken several coyotes that come into our calls.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.