Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's the title of my favorite Willie Nelson song but it also describes my predicament this morning. A friend wanted to trade me a S&W Mag for a SBH 45 Colt. I was expecting a 629 but he had a 329 PD, which I'd never heard of.

I told him it was worth a good deal more than my BH, but he insisted on trading and even threw in a box of shells, less 6 rounds.😊

I had some 240 gr loaded to 1150 fps in the pickup so I stopped and a County road and shot a couple. I was surprised that the recoil was manageable, if not pleasant. The back of the grip is exposed with the finger groove rubber grips on it and I think there is probably something better.

But...... my CC gun is a Titantium Taurus Tracker in 41 mag and I've had it since they first came out and I'm real attached to it. This 429 is actually a tad lighter than the Tracker.

One of 'ems fixing to get jealous.

I'll wait until I get some different grips, like I did for the Tracker, before I choose and send one down the road.

Last edited by curdog4570; 02/13/17.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
First dibs on the Tracker! wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, but after David,aka Paladin, was ringing steel at 160 yards with it at Q a couple years ago, I had to promise to let him have it if it ever left home.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a both the TiTracker and a 357PD....I could shoot the Tracker much better and the PD went down the road about a year ago for a lot more than I paid for it...

Also understand that all Airlites are living on borrowed time... See that little metal flash gap protector at the frame barrel intersection...guess what, that blows out in 500-1200 rounds.... S&W replaces it free but you are out the gun while they do...

https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/s-w-329pd-info

Bob

...here is for your friend...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/618363119

This is the third one in the last two weeks that I have seen sell.

...here is another one...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/618363119

Last edited by RJM; 02/13/17.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the links...... the guy really took his testing seriously.

There is no comparison between the triggers on the two guns. The Smith is fantastic, but I have a 686 and a xpected this one to be good.

The Taurus trigger was lousy and my gunsmith changed the spring which helped a lot. BUT..... in SA mode it doesn't time properly every time and the firing pin misses the primer. I'm used to it now and just nudge the CHL with my finger to make it lockup right. It works fine in D A.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What we need is an L-frame Smith (perhaps in Ti), NO DUMMY Lock, NO MIM, in 41 Mag with 4" and 5" bbls - that would be a nifty package.

Speaking of that, are the 610s an N-frame? I suspect so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm all in on the L frame Smith...especially in .41mag!!

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 65BR
What we need is an L-frame Smith (perhaps in Ti), NO DUMMY Lock, NO MIM, in 41 Mag with 4" and 5" bbls - that would be a nifty package.

Speaking of that, are the 610s an N-frame? I suspect so.

The last two new S&Ws I purchased were the 357 PD and NG...and both are now gone. My new gun revolver money has since gone to Ruger and Freedom Arms. They would have to come out with something very special for me to buy one of their new guns again...

...and yes, the 610 was a N-frame.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got the X frame grip for the 329 PD and I've been bumping up the charge weights with different powders using a 240 gr cast bullet from a local guy.

They've quit being fun at around 1100 fps but that's a lot better than with the standard grip.

The Taurus Tracker now belongs to mi amigo, Paladin, along with everything I own related to 41 Mag. He will pick it up when he comes fishing this Spring.

I bought my first 41 at least 25 years ago and the little Tracker was number five in my string of them.

It is a great cartridge but bigger is better........right? 😀

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"It is a great cartridge but bigger is better........right? 😀"

Blasphemy...APOSTATE....consider yourself expelled from The Cult.... cry

...and when your are stricken with suddenly carpel tunnel and the flashgap protector blows out...I'll be standing right next to you saying...I told U so... grin

Bob

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The .44 mag 329 is a handful with full power loads. I have a 357PD, which in spite of the "357" is a .41 mag. It's not bad to shoot with full house .41's.

Convenience of course, easy to find a variety of loads for the .44 mag, reduced loads, shotshell loads, etc. I need to round up original grips for mine, even though I prefer the Hogues. The 357PD's are pretty rare, and S&W collectors are already calling them "grail" guns. smirk

Of course both of them have the blast shield, which needs regular replacement. Unless I come up with a permanent solution smile

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
"It is a great cartridge but bigger is better........right? 😀"

Blasphemy...APOSTATE....consider yourself expelled from The Cult.... cry

...and when your are stricken with suddenly carpel tunnel and the flashgap protector blows out...I'll be standing right next to you saying...I told U so... grin

Bob

😀😀😀😀😀

You're just jealous that my 41 mag stash never made it to the Classified forum.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The .44 mag 329 is a handful with full power loads. I have a 357PD, which in spite of the "357" is a .41 mag. It's not bad to shoot with full house .41's.

Conveniencean of course, easy to find a variety of loads for the .44 mag, reduced loads, shotshell loads, etc. I need to round up original grips for mine, even though I prefer the Hogues. The 357PD's are pretty rare, and S&W collectors are already calling them "grail" guns. smirk

Of course both of them have the blast shield, which needs regular replacement. Unless I come up with a permanent solution smile

[Linked Image]

If the choice had been between cartridges, I'd still have the Tracker. But the choice was between platforms.

This is the first DA revolver I can shoot pretty good in DA mode and for concealed carry, that's kinda important. The trigger is fantastic.

You coulda sold me that Model 60 and saved me this agonizing choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL! still after that M60! smile Let me see how I do making shotshell loads for the .41 mag

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...I don't have any more room for reloading "stuff"...I have been selling off...

Good luck with the 329.... I have two friends with them and they are good shooters with reduced loads. One to try that expands every time and doesn't have excessive recoil is the Speer .44 Magnum 200 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel Load... It runs the made for the .44 Special bullet at 1080 from a 4" barrel. The Speer #14 loading manual has a whole page of loads just for that bullet.

tex...nice looking holster...who made it?

Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Shot shells for the .41... Use Lyman checks...

Put a little larger than normal bell on the brass.

5.0 grains of Unique or 4.0 of 231/HP38. Put a gas check cup up over the powder pushed into place with a dowel. Fill up the case with shot and the put a Lyman gas check over the shot cup down. Crimp into place...or..

Instead of a the top gas check leave a little shot out and put a .410 ball 2/3s of the way into the case mouth and crimp into place...gives a snake a big headache....

If you need some gas checks PM me and I'll send you some...

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

tex...nice looking holster...who made it?

Bob

ETW holsters of North Carolina. A 329 Holster will work on the 357PD. I bought it at Ebay, but they seem o/s now.

Thanks for the shotshell tips!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I got the X frame grip for the 329 PD and I've been bumping up the charge weights with different powders using a 240 gr cast bullet from a local guy.

They've quit being fun at around 1100 fps but that's a lot better than with the standard grip.

The Taurus Tracker now belongs to mi amigo, Paladin, along with everything I own related to 41 Mag. He will pick it up when he comes fishing this Spring.

I bought my first 41 at least 25 years ago and the little Tracker was number five in my string of them.

It is a great cartridge but bigger is better........right? 😀

Welcome to The Illuminati! Now go shoot a 45 Colt and find Nirvana wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. â“’
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tex - I have a book by G C Nonte IIRC which covers 41 shotshells.

PM me if you want and I can dig it out and text photos.

Sarge - the 45 might be politically correct and on a surge given our new administration wink

Long live the 41 smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Y'all can give me a cyber kick in the butt for posting this question in the wrong forum, but ain't nobody in the casting forum:

I cleaned the Taurus Tracker yesterday to ready it for it's new owner and after at least a couple hundred moderately loaded cast bullets since last cleaning, a couple passes with a brush cleaned the bore right up.

Then I cleaned the 44 mag 329pd I just traded for. I expect I put around seventy wimpy loads of cast bullets...... 6.5 gr Unique under 240 gr from a different maker ...... and I had to scrub hell out of it even after using the foaming stuff from Hornady, Barnes Copper cleaner, and new stuff called Gunblaster. I finally got all the leading out, but it was a chore.

I know from experience that even custom barrels on rifles can take a good bit of cleaning the first go round and that may account for some of the fouling, but I wonder if the drastically reduced velocity in the 44 had something to do with it.

I've upped my plinking load to around 1000 - 1100 fps using CFE. I haven't shot em over a chrono but the manuals pretty much agree on that range.

I hate cleaning guns!

Reckon this one will slick up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,267
Posts18,448,289
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.