Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This rifle needs some help one way or the other.
What would you do?
Project?
It is a 1899 250-3000, s.n.1742xx, numbers match, missing barrel Type 3, broken wrist/crude repair, D&T'd, rec'r is clean tight and functions well.
Parts?
- butt plate/screws
- stock bolt
- pistol cap
- complete fore
- receiver
- bolt
- sear
- cross check trigger
- bolt stop
- trigger spring
- lever w/bushing

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It'll never be what it once was. One project would be to have a .250 barrel made up to fit (not cheap) or start an endless quest for the correct factory barrel (frustrating and long term), have the original butt duplicated, fill the holes in the receiver, and re-finish everything. The result: a M.250-3000 that one could use with impunity, at about twice the cost of a shooter original .250-3000 or early G (but with the priceless satisfaction from having built it yourself- no small consideration IMO).

Or gather all those parts onto ebay, get what you can, and walk away from the whole thing!

Doesn't answer your question, Rick, I know. Were it me I would build something with it, but that's just me. The possibilities for customization are endless. (One wouldn't necessarily have to use the correct barrel for a non-original project. One could make it a .300 using a 40 year newer barrel- they pop up on ebay all the time- or a .303, or a .30-30, or...)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
wow....this is a tough call..

Me? I think this would be parted out, as I dont have the time right now for projects..

But that said, being the collector (borderline hoarder so my wife says..) the parts would likely not be going anywhere anytime soon..

I have recently bought a couple of my 1899/99 rifles that were missing a single part or two...and having parts around do come in handy at times, even if they are not "original" to the rifle from the factory...if you have a "correct" part, it sure is sweet to have laying around to plug in.

Not much help here likely, but remember that these old rifles (in my area anyway..)just arent fallin' off of trees anymore and having them in the hand is worth something.

dave

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tough, I hate to see them parted out! Id find a takedown barrel, and maybe play with it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would first evaluate the condition of the butt stock and if the D&T is good. If you have the ability to work part of it yourself then decide what you want to make and balance it against what you would want to spent to put it together.

If you aren't one to work on projects then move it else where.

As Gary said, would not have to be a .250 (don't think I would put it back with a 1 in 14 and it is a heat treated action ). Would not have to be a TD (a complete forearm should be an easy sell).

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yup, if you converted it to a solid frame .300 you could sell that takedown forearm with hardware for a good price on ebay.

Really a tough call on which way to go!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Of course, as a re-barrel project you could give it the rate of twist Savage could have used in 1915- 1-9 or 10", and have the capability of shooting heavy bullets if you wish, and thumb your nose at the hoi poloi stuck shooting 87 grainers. grin

If I didn't need another project like I need another hole in the head....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That butt stock might not be as bad as it looks. Patient scraping/sanding down to bare wood, re-break it and re-glue it if necessary, re-finish, re-cut the checkering. A lot of time/labor for sure but so what as long as you're doing it for yourself and not to make money on it. Besides, as Grogel Deluxe says "What's time to a pig?"

Again, it will never look like anything other than a once-broken stock that's been skillfully refinished, but still, it would be 100 year old Savage wood.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Did the TD latch spacing on the early .250-3000 Models match the spacing on the G's that followed, or did they match the spacing of their contemporary H's?

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Did the TD latch spacing on the early .250-3000 Models match the spacing on the G's that followed, or did they match the spacing of their contemporary H's?

I just compared a few examples and it appears spacing is the same on all of these. If I attempt to interchange, things fit but latch needs tweak before latching properly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Southern_WI_Savage; 02/20/17.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Rick made me an offer I couldn't refuse. This project found a Maryland home this evening. Oh, Lord. Here we go again!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We want weekly updates. If you wake up in the middle of the night with an idea we will expect it to be posted here...and you can't do anything till we all agree! No pressure. grin wink

Rick...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
WTH, Rick?? Am I not verbose enough as it is??? Ha ha.

I'll keep y'all posted, but it'll likely be slow- I now have five projects in process!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/20/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WE vote this one goes to the top of the pile.

Kind of like finding that your new brides mother is moving in with you. grin

Rick...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like your gun was made in 1915.
If it was me, I'd try hard for a 250 take down barrel. Must be one available somewhere.You hardly ever see the old perch belly Savage stocks anymore with that old 1915 U.S.A. early days take down look.The original butt plate says it hasn't been cut down. Have fun.

Last edited by Malcolm; 02/20/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

You have to be willing to tackle this kind of project for what it is, and accept the risk that it may all just turn into a pile of scrap. That may be acceptable if it's all for the sake of your education about 99's. It may not be acceptable if you're expecting to have a shooter 99, and save a little money by spending more time.

What I would do is send you a PM and let you know there are people on this forum willing to consider taking on this kind of project.

PM sent, wink

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would never modify or repair any Savage lever action rifle. Throw it out back on the scrap iron pile to rust.

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
gnoahhh:you always gotta have projects to keep going!
Have fun! Mel Chung

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Were it me I would build something with it, but that's just me. The possibilities for customization are endless. (One wouldn't necessarily have to use the correct barrel for a non-original project. One could make it a .300 using a 40 year newer barrel- they pop up on ebay all the time- or a .303, or a .30-30, or...)

I think the man may already have designs on his project. You ever wonder what a 99 may have been if the likes of Griffin and Howe, Wundhammer or Sedgley got ahold of one?

Last edited by S99VG; 02/21/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G & F did get a hold of at least one. It was for sale on Gunsinternational some time ago. It was beautiful and expensive. Seems like it came with 3 barrels. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.