Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not trying to put flies in the ointment just putting it out there for information/research, but looked at this action a year or two ago and came to the conclusion the action itself was of chinese origin. The SARCO marketing on the action seemed a little vague last I looked so did some snooping around.

Found this document:
https://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=559392&ac=pr

"..You indicate that your client wishes to import certain Mauser type barreled actions from Belgium in a variety of hunting calibers. We are informed that the barreled actions are completed rifles without rifle stocks. The barelled actions are manufactured in Belgium by E. Dumoulin and Co. from a series of components consisting of trigger mechanisms from England or Belgium, trigger guards from Spain, screws from Belgium and rifle barrels from the United States, as well as incomplete bolt assemblies, bolt stop assemblies and receivers from China."

"..The complex assembly of the barelled actions, as discussed above, constitutes a substantial transformation. Accordingly, the country of origin of the barreled actions to be imported into the United States is Belgium. The article shall be marked pursuant to 19 U.S.C. 1304 and part 134, Customs Regulations (19 CFR Part 134)..."

Have no clue as to its accuracy, but if the above is a valid document it explains how the barreled actions can be listed as "MANUFACTURED BY THE FAMED FIREARMS MAKER DUMOULIN OF BELGIUM" and have chinese sourced actions and bolts.

Last edited by SBTCO; 02/17/17.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Bigger hole in the barrel lighter weight, I'd go #2 contour and 338-06 in a High-tech stock from Brownells.

I like that idea it sounds good. I love that cartridge.

Originally Posted by gann

This is an excellent idea; thank you very much!!!!!

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen one of these actions that someone milled a set of flat bases for it and then screwed them on. IMO it looked kinda wonky to me. I would stick with the Sunny Hill.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks I can imagine what you mean there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
efw, am interested in how you would do the blind magazine in a Hi-Tech stock? Do you need a mag box?

Tried it once with a MPI stock to save weight over a Hi-Tech but the blank ended up weighing considerably more than I was told...more than the Hi-Tech...:)

Good luck on the build! Target weight-wise, I like lighter rifles, and kept track of the individual component weights over the years. I'd imagine you'd want to keep barrel contour to a #2 & down with steel bottom metal. fwiw...

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
High Tech Spec used to offer an LR98 blind blank. Don't know if they still do. Was thinking about pulling the aluminum box off one of those cheapo anodized units from Brownells, and using a sunny hill trigger guard. May be more work than necessary; for weights sake may have one of those same anodized units after having it bead blasted and duracoated.

To answer the question tho I was considering using the box and then laying glass cloth over the bottom to form a blind mag. Again likely more work than necessary as there are workable aluminum options available.

We'll see. I'll go #1 contour whatever else I do.

I likely will do the Sunny Hill rings, though I was wrong when I thought they offered them in aluminum. They're only steel.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I thought I remembered those, but Brownells only listed the standard now...his web site has also changed, to elsewhere I guess...

Yes, on the aluminum box. Also, had a 98 box cut off to fit and drilled to lighten....but never used it. A guy can snag a non-"engraved" aluminum unit off eBay sometimes.

Have fun--am thinking about a 1-7 twist 6mm Rem for a VZ24...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tagging in

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Interesting what SBTCO posted about the Sarco Duomolin actions.

FWIW, at least two of my shooting buddies at range we're members, purchased some of these SARCO Dumoulin's for builds. Neither of them are newbies to rifle builds. One does his own gun smithing. Can't remember specifically what they disliked or the problems they had with the several Dumoulins they purchased. Let's just say, they were disappointed with them.......that they must have been actions that didn't meet quality standards, in other words, rejects.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh they're a little rough below the wood line and some of them need the safeties timed. No big deal for a decent Mauser gunsmith. When I bought mine they were $225. IMO, a stone cold bargain for a Mauser action with a good trigger, a 3 position M70 style safety, steel bottom metal with a bow release straddle floorplate and square bridges. The two that I've owned were as smooth as any Zastava action I've ever owned and the feeding is spot on. I would buy another without hesitation.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
I've seen one of these actions that someone milled a set of flat bases for it and then screwed them on. IMO it looked kinda wonky to me. I would stick with the Sunny Hill.

That would be me. I bought 10 of the Dumoulin actions 10-1-2014.
I turn Weaver S45 and S54 scope bases over and mill them flat.

In 2015 I put a #3 Shilen select match rachet 8" twist barrel on a reamed it to 6.5-06 A square.
I made a pillar for the rear and recoil block for the front.
I put a timney trigger and a Harris bipod and a rear bag on it.
I put a sightron SIII 3x10 scope on it.

I got Lee to make a custom mandrel reduction from a 270 Collet neck die for triple normal grinding price.
I got Forster to make a custom sizer die from a 25-06 sizer die for double the normal honing price.

120 Nos Bal Tips 3197 fps average chrono
0.92" 5 shots at 100 yards average

I helped separate cows from calves and the rancher let me hunt. I shot a whitetail doe at 629 yards.
I used a Mosin Nagant 300 Win mag I built that year to fill my other tags.

[Linked Image]

I build a number of rifles for myself each year, and do not think much of Dumoulins.
My scope base fix is ok. I have sent bases to other guys on other forums.
My problem is with the safeties.
If you have a Dumoulin Mauser action, you should have someone who knows what they are doing check the safety.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.