Print Thread
Hop To
J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
The local pawn shop has a rifle that I'm not very familiar with. It is a Winchester m70 that looks to be in about 90%- 95% condition that is a heavy target configuration. The stock has an adjustable hand rest and seems original to me. The rear sight has been removed to make way for a more recent scope but the front Lyman sight and mid barrel scope block is still there. It is in 30 Gov 06.

They aren't giving it away but it seems like a reasonable price. I just have no idea what a rifle like this should go for. Any info on value would be appreciated.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
90-95% condition and you are sure it's original, you are looking at about $2,000.00, give or take a bit... Pics would confirm proper hand rest, stock, barrel and sights/rear sight block and safety. The 30-06 was the most common configuration, and the price reflects that...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks BSA! Should a target rifle with a serial #776XX be drilled and tapped on the rear bridge or not? Would it affect value if it is?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Photos my friend, Im interested . I love the targets, sounds like a transition gun, very best winpoor

J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Here are the pics I do have
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi jfkid.

The rifle looks to be in very good and original condition. From what I can see in the photos, everything looks correct. The bolt and safety are both Type-II, which is correct for the serial number of the rifle. Nice find.

If everything is in order and original, I would concur with BSA's estimate of $2,000 as a good collector auction value. A private sale or a pawnshop purchase might go for a bit less. If they are asking $1,800 for it, I would consider it a fair price for this rifle.

One thing I could not see in the photos, but you may be able to confirm is whether or not the receiver has a stripper clip slot on the rear bridge. This feature was dropped from the standard receiver at serial number 60,500, but was retained on the target and NM rifles. If the receiver is original to this target configuration, then it should have the stripper clip slots.

Good luck with it and let us know if you pick it up!

Justin

J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I was able to see the small clip slots in front of the rear scope base. I'm supposed the value would be that high with what I assume is two holes in the rear bridge. Are the transitional rifles pretty uncommon?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm assuming you are going to pick up this fine rifle so I'm curious about something you may be able to verify for me. I have a Pre64 300 H&H and the trigger has a "T" on the side. I've been told this was the Target trigger and was only installed on the 30-06 and 300 H&H models as these were the Wimbledon competition target models from Winchester at the time.
Perhaps you could pull the action out and see if yours has this marking? Just curious, but I will say this is the best trigger I've ever had in a hunting rifle. In fact, my son likes it so much I may never get my rifle back- unless he gloms onto my Pre 64 338WM....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Sheister. It is true; I have a mid-1950s .30-06 Target rifle and the trigger has the T. I've only ever seen this on target rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info- much appreciated.

I will say this is one of the finest shooting rifles I've ever shot or owned. It was rechambered to 300 H&H Improved (basically a 300 WBy without the double radius shoulder) before I got it, but it isn't marked on the barrel so neither the seller- who is a very good friend- or me knew what we had until I actually fired it several months later.
My son was shooting it to get ready for an upcoming Elk hunt and working up loads and the brass looked different coming out? After checking several cases, it dawned on me what was happening but the groups he was shooting were all cloverleafs- 3-4 shots always touching and he kept commenting on how light the trigger was.

No complaints here as I don't have all that much into the rifle and it has killed a bunch of elk already.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sheister
In fact, my son likes it so much I may never get my rifle back- unless he gloms onto my Pre 64 338WM....

Bob

Funny stuff right there. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
608 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.