-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any place is within walking distance if you have the time....

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I can't imagine enjoying shooting half as much with factory ammo. I cringe every time I walk into a place and look at the price of factory ammo. Pulling the trigger at $2 a shot would suck all the enjoyment out of it for me.

I cringed too, until I found http://ammoseek.com. Some pretty good deals come up there if you keep an eye on it. For instance, right now they have American Eagle FMJ 30-06 for $0.68 per shot. That's about the cost of components, plus you don't have to sit there pulling a lever all night to get it.
Finally, you'll never enjoy anything if you focus on the cost. Even handloaded ammo is expensive if you do that. I believe that the money I spend on factory ammo buys me extra time to spend on the millions of other things that people expect me to do and need me to do. I realize that may not work for everyone, but it's working for me for the moment.

Okie John

But I enjoy pulling that lever, it's my hobby. It has nothing to do with cost, handloading has cost me a lot more than it's ever saved, I just shoot 20X what I would if I had to buy factory ammo. You seem to have other things you'd rather do than shoot and load, that's fine. To me those are relaxing, I work away and that's what I do for fun when I come home.

I'm glad you enjoy shooting the FMJ stuff but that has no interest to me, I'm not interested in shooting junk ammo just to hear it go bang. What I get a kick out of is consistently ringing my 1000 yd gong on the pipeline behind my house or hitting a prairie dog at 880 yds (my personal best). It takes good ammo tuned to good rifles to do that and you're not likely to find it out of a box of american eagle FMJ's. You're not likely to find it out of any ammo at any price unless you just get lucky and find something your rifle really likes.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
You seem to have other things you'd rather do than shoot and load, that's fine.

I wish that were the case.

I used to spend a lot more time shooting and reloading, but my work schedule picked up considerably in the last couple of years and I've had to step away from loading for a while in order to get to the range 2-3x per week as I do now. I'd happily spend far more hours every week reloading and shooting if my work schedule allowed it. I think I'm getting close to being able to go back to that, but I'm not quite there yet. Until then, I'll keep reading these posts and scheming...

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Switched to premium factory in the mid-90s never looked back.
I don't build my own rifles , so why bother with building my ammunition.

Those who are money rich-time poor such as people who can afford Echols Legends
have done the same.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I still handload for nearly everything I shoot for centerfire rifles, and for my .454 Casull handgun.

Factory ammo for the Casull is crazy expensive- I can reload and shoot my hunting loads for a fraction of the cost of factory ammo, most of which is loaded hotter than I care to shoot anyway.

I also handload for my .257 and .300 Weatherby rifles, same deal- my handloads are way cheaper than factory stuff, and I get to use the bullets I want, not what the factories choose.

The only rifle I shoot factory ammo in is my .30-06- I use it so infrequently that buying dies and components doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good posts by all. No doubt situations vary and are specific to each individual.

Good shooting and hunting!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.