24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I sold my 700 LSS and was looking at getting a Howa and keeping that cash in my pocket.

I was at Cabella's buying an 1895 GBL. As I was waiting I looked at the used gun rack. I found a Winchester 54 Super Grade. Real good shape. Obviously handled but never abused.

I'm a sucker for these old depression era rifles. I'll shoot this some just to see how it does then I think I'll take it hunting. Nice day hunting, no bad weather days. Still need the modern synthetic for that.

I hold these old guns and wonder about the lives of the people who owned them. The guy that originally bought this might have been a WW1 vet.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know what you mean.

If only they could talk....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I do that also..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That's pretty much what drives me too. Depression era guns represent the Golden Age, to me. M54's in particular stir my fancy, though I never had a Super Grade. Envious of you for that! Pics?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just loaded up 40 rounds with 55 grains of IMR 4350 and Hornady 180 grain interloc SP's. We will see what we see.

I would be happy with 2" groups, not that it matters because I'm not changing anything on the rifle. I figure getting about the same as a good Mauser of that era.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Photos!!! Sounds like a good one!!!!!

I was messing with my 54 last night out in the shop! Also a .30Govt1906! Love the 54!

Congrats

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hope it shoots well for you

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Armednfree,

What sights on the 54? I had one in .270 for a while, made in the second year of production, 1926. It wasn't altered for scoping, but did have a Lyman aperture sight, and would easily group inside 2" at 100 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a pre war M70, '38 barrel on what I think is a '40 action. I am fortunate to know the history of the gun. The original owner was a contemporary of Dad and Uncle. Joe hunted the gun from the forties until about '61-62, when he decided to hang his guns up. Cousin bought Joe's three M 70 rifles, the .270, a 30Govt06, and a .264Westerner.

In '62, I transferred jobs to a deer country location. I could not afford a deer rifle. Cousin loaned e the .270 for a couple of years, while I got on my feet and bought a shotgun and my own rifle.

About fifteen years ago, Cousin died in an accident. Cousin had a lot of guns. His adult children asked my assistance in disposing of his estate. While sorting his guns as family guns, business (FFL), or personal investment, I knew better than the kids which were which and even which ones had been their grandfather's. I told the kids that their dad had loaned me this M70 when I was too broke to buy my own.

Anyway, we sorted things out for keep or to sell. A few days later, when I got home and was unloading my truck, the M70 had been placed under my luggage in the back seat of my truck. They also gifted me a Marlin Mountie that I had bought for Cousin on my boss' wholesale account in '58 while I was in college.

I tend to buy used guns, and always wonder what they could tell if they could talk. These two, and a good many that I bought new, I know the stories.

PS, mine has been padded and scoped. No collector value, but no matter. It goes to one of my grandchildren anyway. The granddaughters stand to inherit a good bit of farm and ranch land and could use it. The older one does like to shoot. My wife gave her a Red Ryder for Christmas at seven. She has graduated to .22s and 28 gauges.
Jack

Last edited by jt402; 02/21/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How does a 30's Model 54 do with pressure, do you have to load them down?

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Pics or it never happened.

Sounds drool-worthy to me.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Barkoff
How does a 30's Model 54 do with pressure, do you have to load them down?

Always just shot what ever Grandpa gave me, which was all factory rounds.

Mostly 180 Grain Silvertips. Never knew them to be weak.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Barkoff,

They'll take the same pressures as a pre-'64 Model 70.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Running 2.25 to 2.5" with that load. 3 shot groups. It was printing 2 together and the 3rd a bit higher.

When cleaning the rifle I had even tension with the patched jag until about 2 inches before the end where it tightened up. I had to tap the back of the rod to get it through. I thought that maybe it was the patch going dry but all repeats did the same thing. Didn't matter if it was the cleaning solution or oil, did the same thing.

When I bought it the bore looked good. I ran a patch and it came out black. I saturated the bore with Hoppe's #9 and let it set for 2 hours. The patches came out heavy green. There is still some green, not much, but I really don't want to use a copper solvent. I've had plenty of old rifles, Mauser's mostly, that did that and shot great. When I cleaned really good the accuracy went to crap. A little doesn't hurt I guess.

It has this rear sight on it.

[Linked Image]

Mine looks like this, and in about the same condition:

[Linked Image]

I said it was a super grade because of the sight. Looking at pictures of super grades I see that all have black foretips. Mine doesn't.

I note that on many of these old rifles when you mount them off hand the sights come right to the eye. Love that.

Last edited by Armednfree; 02/24/17.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice catch!
They still look like small ring Mausers to me, but then, they do say Winchester on them and command a good price.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Running 2.25 to 2.5" with that load. 3 shot groups. It was printing 2 together and the 3rd a bit higher.

When cleaning the rifle I had even tension with the patched jag until about 2 inches before the end where it tightened up. I had to tap the back of the rod to get it through. I thought that maybe it was the patch going dry but all repeats did the same thing. Didn't matter if it was the cleaning solution or oil, did the same thing.

When I bought it the bore looked good. I ran a patch and it came out black. I saturated the bore with Hoppe's #9 and let it set for 2 hours. The patches came out heavy green. There is still some green, not much, but I really don't want to use a copper solvent. I've had plenty of old rifles, Mauser's mostly, that did that and shot great. When I cleaned really good the accuracy went to crap. A little doesn't hurt I guess.

It has this rear sight on it.

[Linked Image]

Mine looks like this, and in about the same condition:

[Linked Image]

I said it was a super grade because of the sight. Looking at pictures of super grades I see that all have black foretips. Mine doesn't.

I note that on many of these old rifles when you mount them off hand the sights come right to the eye. Love that.

I think that is supper grade.Sure to bring home supper with that old trooper!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,160 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.