Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just saying....

From December, 2014
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
In general I avoid these small time AR assemblers. Every time I've dug deep enough I've found that they're just ordering parts from the cheapest manufacturer and dressing them up with logos.

If they're not willing to advertise exactly what parts they use and exactly what those parts are made of I don't even consider it.

Agree completely.

"They're just as good as" is the common thing I hear from guys buying cheap crap, then later wondering why their DPMS/Bushmaster/mossberg doesn't run right.

Going cheap is a false economy, if you actually plan on shooting more than a couple hundred rounds a year through an AR.

When you get one from a company with decades of experience building guns for the military (Like FN and Colt) odds are the little extra you spent will result in a higher likelihood of having a rifle that will continue to run for a long period of time.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And most claiming "just as good as" have nothing to compare the cheaper ones with.

It's always funny when someone's eyes are finally opened...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
And most claiming "just as good as" have nothing to compare the cheaper ones with.

It's always funny when someone's eyes are finally opened...

Some people's stinginess prevents them from ever truly getting their eyes fully opened.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And the other stingy ones realized its not rocket science and have assembled their own since the 80s without any issues. LOL.

You can generally almost never go wrong with respected brand names. Thats a given.

The flip side was years ago before all the options I bought a colt RE above comments, IE buy known.. and then took it apart and put all the service rifle stuff on it to compete. Had a colt lower and buttstock left, and a few of the internals, but new trigger. Had a colt upper left, with FA and dust cover and flash hider left.

Just made no sense at the time.

But now, there are so many good ready to roll options by good names and thats good.

And the cheap stuff, well you takes your chances..... my nephew has had good luck with some of the cheap stuff, even to the point of accuracy. Others not so much.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Back in the day we had Colt,Armalite, BM and Oly along with a few others but that was about it for a factory gun.

Colt went through a period or periods where their QC didn't exist.

Today's Colts have been refined just not much interest in match guns so it depends on what you're after. I can feel the difference from the pull of the charging handle to the recoil impulse on my 6920.

But then going full custom with better parts makes a difference too. Quality just doesn't come at entry level prices.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oly, that just still gives me shivers. I'd forgotten about them. The only factory gun I've ever had issues with.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sorry to remind you of them. Seen lot's of problems with them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hell you and I would have nothing to talk about if all there were is oly and colt.....

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
For anyone interested the name of the 3 pound trigger was Dark Sky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to stay with a single stage on a budget, I highly recommend the JMT Tactical Saber. Very nice cassettes unit with a pull around 3.5 #'s, minimal creep and includes both set screws and antirotation pins for install am deathly runs $100. It's not on par with the high end Elfs and Geisselles but my example is better then anything I have tried under $200.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you really think there's that much difference between triggers? Most of what I've seen is feature differences that are more a matter of preference than any real "shootability" difference.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In terms of results on target for 95% of shooters I do feel there is a potential advantage myself included. For the maybe 5% of the premier shooters out there that can make any gun shoot to its full potential all the time, well then probably not.

There is definite differences in design, looks, feel etc which of course leads to personal preferences and if a guy believes in his weapon he is likely to shoot it better in my experience. I do agree that most "advantages" are more perceived then real world.

That said, those with above average abilities can shoot just about any weapon more then adequately.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've shot winning scores at Perry with a malfunctioned M1A trigger that we hit with a strip of emory, and I shot for 2 weeks at over 8 pounds...

I've lost with finely tuned barely passing weight triggers too.

Good shooters overcome.

That said, there is NO doubt its easier to shoot with a finely tuned trigger. No doubt at all.

As to feel, I also think that there is a personal ton of difference there... not that you can't get used to whatever, see all the I can't shoot 2 stage threads and well.... they are WRONG.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, Mallard Addict, but don't you think that just about all these aftermarket triggers that are better than the "tuned" GI triggers are pretty darn good?

Just seems to me like what Jeff said... any 2-stage under 6ish lbs or single stage under 4ish lbs and relatively crisp can't be all that bad.

I just really haven't got hold of what I'd call a "bad" aftermarket match trigger. I think I could shoot pretty good with about any of them. I'm not a big fan of "roll" triggers, but I'll bet most people could even shoot those.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You'd be amazed at what you can learn to shoot well.

Not that I enjoy the feel of some types of triggers, but what the hey, we just both got used to a glock 20 recently here.... can kill deer at 50 yards pretty easy with it now too with irons... its sure not a 1911 trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmm...how did I miss my favorite discussion! I've learned over the years that triggers are a tremendously personal choice. My preference is crispy two stage triggers. The trigger that delivered that the best is the KAC aka Stoner. Beyond that, they all can be good. I've won stuff with an RRA and with a Geiselle.

I know of some shooters way better than me that like what is commonly called a "roll trigger". Miles of creep. Like I said it's a personal choice.

I've had a bad aftermarket trigger. My first AR trigger was a CLE (There were only two choices at that time, and Charlie was backordered and stopped answering his phone). That trigger was unpredictable bordering on unsafe. I like Frank White, and I like anything else he makes...but not his triggers.

We've come a long way since then. There was a time when I could speak with first hand knowledge about near all of the aftermarket options. I don't think I get to first base even nowadays. These are great times for AR trigger choices.

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
It's all good, Now.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Fishy sounding rifle sounds fishy. Never heard of them before.

SERENITY NOW!

Kelly
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 51 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,515
Posts18,452,689
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.