Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buck I shot this year. Hit him first shot feeding in a pasture. Took off, ran about 75 yards. Stopped and went back to eating. Thinking I must have had a bad first shot, fired again, ran about 100 yards more and piled up. Both shots in the vitals.

Couple years ago my Dad shot a real good buck. Fired first shot while the deer was walking, 2 more shots on the run. Deer circled and ran in to the base of his ladder stand bending the rails for it. All three hits in the vitals.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot an antelope buck in Wyoming at 250 yards as it slowly walked broadside. At the shot, which hit him in the heart, he took off running at full speed. He then made a 90 degree turn without slowing down a fraction and came running full tilt straight at me. The lights went out while he was at full throttle and he did a full front somersault about 75 yards from me, skidding to a stop in a cloud of dust. It is amazing to see how fast they can accelerate and the speeds that they can reach.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Originally Posted by roundoak
Deer drive in central Wisconsin. I dropped off several standers along a gravel road and parked my 1947 Ford stake bed truck next to a high sand bank and walked in off the road with the other standers.

Later, a buck came hell bent in my direction and I put a 87 grain .257 bullet from my 250 Savage 99 into his lungs. As he came by blood was spouting out of both sides, then there was a crash heard, but did not sound like brush.

When the drivers emerged I took up the blood trail and as I walked up to the edge of the high sand bank I found the dead deer laying on the bed of the truck.

Crazy! laugh

Yep. That one is tough to beat.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've have a few weird ones actually.

The oddest one probably would be a WI doe. We had a season called Earn-a-buck. You had to shoot a doe before you could shoot a buck. I had been sitting in the rain almost all day and about had enough. I was slowly walking back to my truck which was about 1/2 mile away. I stopped and sat on a log in an area that I've seen a bunch of deer, in the past.

I stood up to start moving again and spotted or spooked 5 does that were walking along in single file. The second to last was by far the biggest. I shot her at a hard quarter to shot, just in front of the shoulder. She turned around, stood on her hind legs and beat the ever living piss out of the deer behind her with her front legs. Then, they all took off. I heard her crash. She'd gone about 30-40 yards and piled up.

I was shooting a Win. M70 fwt, in .308 Win. 180gr Core-lokts.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I missed

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buddy shot at a buck with his bow. At the shot it ran into a bush, thrashed around for a good bit, and finally collapsed. He climbed down and dressed it out, then started to look for the arrow wound. Wasn't one. He'd gutted the deer to death after it had exhausted itself in the bush.

Hey, I don't make 'em up, I just repeat 'em.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I shot a 10 point buck coming towards me up a steep hill and flipped him over backwards with a 30/06(165gr Speer factory load). He never hit the ground, antlers got hung up in a low branch on an apple tree and there he hung. 1996, antlers are hanging in my garage.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a deer, but I got an odd reaction when I shot a smallish snowshoe hare with a 165 grain Sierra soft point boattail out of my 30-06 at a range of 30 feet. I aimed at mid ribs as the rabbit stood broadside. The bunny did not even twitch at the shot, and then leaned forward and took a nibble of green sticking up out of the snow. I thought it was a clean miss, and then the rabbit dropped dead. It had a perfect 30 cal. hole through both lungs, no expansion of the bullet whatsoever. I took that as proof that Elmer Keith was right and that I needed a bigger bore... grin

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Shot a doe for meat

I'm sorry. This always makes me laugh. Why else do you shoot a doe? laugh

Kelly
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Back when I was about 16, I liked to go rabbit hunting with my Daisy Powerbelt air rifle. If you put the BB in the right spot, they'd fall right over dead. Anyway, the starngest thing I've ever seen was this one rabbit that I spotted. I shot at it, with no reaction. I was extremely surprised, because I just did not miss. Ever. It kept sitting there, so I eased a few feet closer, and shot again, with the exact same reaction! I eased a few feet closer (now only about 15 feet from it), and tried again, still with the exact same result! I finally walked all the way up to it and touched it with the toe of my boot, at which time it just fell over! I had killed that rabbit with the 1st shot, but the body just kept sitting there.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Biggest Washington deer I ever personally put hands on was a 26 1/2" 5x5 mulie from last season. We had hunted the morning without luck and decided to spend the afternoon steelhead fishing. It was a good call as there were plenty of fish stacked up at the mouth of the Clearwater River. We ended up fishing until almost dark and were headed out. The road back to camp includes a steep windy downhill section of dirt road for about 3 miles that is maybe 10' wide with a 15' cut bank on one side and about 120' steep drop off on the other side.

We were making a good clip down it in my new F350 pulling my 19' sled. Upon rounding a hairpin corner said buck jumped off the cut bank about 50' in front of me. There was no way I was going to be able to stop so I got over as far as I could and hoped for the best. The buck tried to run downhill and across in front of us and I had no choice but to take him down my passenger side between me and the drop off. He ducked just as my mirror went over his back and surpisingly didn't hit the mirror and we heard no impact to the truck or boat. We all commented about what a close call it was and it was a shame we couldn't manage to harvest a buck like that.

We got back to camp and I started dinner as we waited for the rest of the guys out hunting to return. When they got back they started flipping us all kinds of chit asking why we took the boat hunting without them. I told them we didn't hunt and to check the fish box of the boat to which he replied "I would if you would have dressed and hung your big ass buck so it wasn't in the way".

I walked over to my boat with my flashlight and sure as chit that damn buck was laid out dead on the floor of the boat with almost no blood on the deck. We hung him up to dress him and there was no visible exernal damage, neck and spine were intact no broken legs etc. We opened him up and it looked like a bomb went off in his chest. He had 3 ribs that were missing about 4-6" of bone, lungs were jello and his heart was damn near ripped in 2. The meat was damn near perfect and there was almost no bloodshot meat just a little at the sight of the rib fractures.

We looked over the truck and boat in the morning and could find no damage to either, just what appeared to be a little of the loose dust from the road rubbed off the bow area. All we can figure is he cleared the truck and thought he was home free so he hooked a right and got struck by the bow of the boat rolling him over the side onto the floor. It's my guess that the rib chunks from the impact are what took out his lung and heart killing him.

Filed a salvage tag with the game dept the next day after the morning hunt and went out to fill our tags. We all got good deer that trip but all we could discuss was getting long cocked by the Alumaweld.

Still the damndest thing I have ever seen while hunting.

Wow! Winner for oddest deer story.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mallard, I'd like to see a picture of that buck.

Weird thing happened Friday night.. hunting hogs at night, 113 steps, 7.62x39 with a barnes bullet.

Night vision, was trying to make a head shot when the pig may have caught a bit of wind, and started to walk off so I drop down to a low chest shot and push the trigger.

Buddies about 250 yards away watch in the thermal monocular and said they saw the hog start to walk off, heard a pop, and then watched the hog walk, WALK off into the brush like normal.

We found him a bit later, he'd made about 20 yards, broke the front leg low and put a nice size hole in the heart and exited...

I've never seen a pig hit like that just keep walking. I"ve seen deer do it, but never a pig. Once they spook they usually haul it for a bit anyways to cover.

The other one is a BIL story, not so weird as in reaction, but in what the bullet did. He shot a javelina in the head around 70 yards, there was another that was about 20 yards behind it and way off to the left, probably 20 feet left of the first one. First one flopped, second one flopped. Then got up cut a few circles and fell over. First was head just fine, the bullet had to hit the ground, deflect, ricochet and then hit the 2nd one a bit low under the ear, and probably hit the cartoid from the looks of the blood trail...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by KMS
Shot a doe for meat

Fun?

Culling overpopulation?

Training a GSP to follow blood.

But I know what you mean. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Biggest Washington deer I ever personally put hands on was a 26 1/2" 5x5 mulie from last season. We had hunted the morning without luck and decided to spend the afternoon steelhead fishing. It was a good call as there were plenty of fish stacked up at the mouth of the Clearwater River. We ended up fishing until almost dark and were headed out. The road back to camp includes a steep windy downhill section of dirt road for about 3 miles that is maybe 10' wide with a 15' cut bank on one side and about 120' steep drop off on the other side.

We were making a good clip down it in my new F350 pulling my 19' sled. Upon rounding a hairpin corner said buck jumped off the cut bank about 50' in front of me. There was no way I was going to be able to stop so I got over as far as I could and hoped for the best. The buck tried to run downhill and across in front of us and I had no choice but to take him down my passenger side between me and the drop off. He ducked just as my mirror went over his back and surpisingly didn't hit the mirror and we heard no impact to the truck or boat. We all commented about what a close call it was and it was a shame we couldn't manage to harvest a buck like that.

We got back to camp and I started dinner as we waited for the rest of the guys out hunting to return. When they got back they started flipping us all kinds of chit asking why we took the boat hunting without them. I told them we didn't hunt and to check the fish box of the boat to which he replied "I would if you would have dressed and hung your big ass buck so it wasn't in the way".

I walked over to my boat with my flashlight and sure as chit that damn buck was laid out dead on the floor of the boat with almost no blood on the deck. We hung him up to dress him and there was no visible exernal damage, neck and spine were intact no broken legs etc. We opened him up and it looked like a bomb went off in his chest. He had 3 ribs that were missing about 4-6" of bone, lungs were jello and his heart was damn near ripped in 2. The meat was damn near perfect and there was almost no bloodshot meat just a little at the sight of the rib fractures.

We looked over the truck and boat in the morning and could find no damage to either, just what appeared to be a little of the loose dust from the road rubbed off the bow area. All we can figure is he cleared the truck and thought he was home free so he hooked a right and got struck by the bow of the boat rolling him over the side onto the floor. It's my guess that the rib chunks from the impact are what took out his lung and heart killing him.

Filed a salvage tag with the game dept the next day after the morning hunt and went out to fill our tags. We all got good deer that trip but all we could discuss was getting long cocked by the Alumaweld.

Still the damndest thing I have ever seen while hunting.

Great story. Thanks.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I killed a doe and with the greatest desire any non-starving hunter ever had to do so.

I was 16, with a Ben Pearson 57lb recurve and No7 Micro-flite with Bear Broadhead with Razor Blade inserts.

I was in some type of abnormal oak tree just beside a South Texas oak motte. The tree was abnormal as it had normal type limbs rather than being limbless until near the top, as were the trees in the motte, being all tall and skinny and grouped closely together.

I was standing on a limb when the "yearling deer" came in to feed on acorns under me. Was this to be my first deer kill with a bow?

I leaned over after drawing the bow and aimed straight down between its shoulders about 10 feet below before loosing my fingers and letting death go.

The deer ran about 60 feet, looked around and started feeding again. Feeling like I was in the Twilight Zone I looked down and could not see my arrow. I quietly turned and looked again at the feeding deer. No arrow was seen anywhere.

In disbelief, I didnt know what to do.

After a bit the deer laid down and kept looking around. A while later it laid its head down and died. Ecstatic, I climbed down and turned around and was immediately was startled to see my arrow right there sticking up from the ground. One minute it was gone and then it was there.

It had been sticking up straight up at me and the knock had blended in with the in the forest floor.

I had my first big game with a bow, and I was at the beginning a wonderful journey through life and many states and many times of lying awake at night before, during and after hunting season planning many thousands of assaults and ambushes which led to many hours of expectant travel and hunting camps and early mornings and laborious hunts in Gods purple hills and green valleys while hunting deer, turkeys, elk, bear and moose, usually without the reward of the ultimate prize but with enough rare success and expectant faith to keep the desire alive.

Thank you Lord. Jag. [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/07/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by KMS
Shot a doe for meat

Fun?

Culling overpopulation?

Training a GSP to follow blood.

But I know what you mean. wink

They got Boone and Crockett does down here! grin

You left out "Self Defense" as a reason too! whistle smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I killed a doe and with the greatest desire any non-starving hunter ever had to do so.

I was 16, with a Ben Pearson 57lb recurve and No7 Micro-flite with Bear Broadhead with Razor Blade inserts.

I was in some type of abnormal oak tree just beside a South Texas oak motte. The tree was abnormal as it had normal type limbs rather than being limbless until near the top, as were the trees in the motte, being all tall and skinny and grouped closely together.

I was standing on a limb when the "yearling deer" came in to feed on acorns under me. Was this to be my first deer kill with a bow?

I leaned over after drawing the bow and aimed straight down between its shoulders about 10 feet below before loosing my fingers and letting death go.

The deer ran about 60 feet, looked around and started feeding again. Feeling like I was in the Twilight Zone I looked down and could not see my arrow. I quietly turned and looked again at the feeding deer. No arrow was seen anywhere.

In disbelief, I didnt know what to do.

After a bit the deer laid down and kept looking around. A while later it laid its head down and died. Ecstatic, I climbed down and turned around and was immediately was startled to see my arrow right there sticking up from the ground. One minute it was gone and then it was there.

It had been sticking up straight up at me and the knock had blended in with the in the forest floor.

I had my first big game with a bow, and I was at the beginning a wonderful journey through life and many states and many times of lying awake at night before, during and after hunting season planning many thousands of assaults and ambushes which led to many hours of expectant travel and hunting camps and early mornings and laborious hunts in Gods purple hills and green valleys while hunting deer, turkeys, elk, bear and moose, usually without the reward of the ultimate prize but with enough rare success and expectant faith to keep the desire alive.

Thank you Lord. Jag.

Good Story!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have talked to guys that hunt crows on a regular basis and a couple of them have told me of shooting a crow in a tree and the dead crow will grip the limb with one of its feet and hang upside down even though its dead.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have seen crows do that, thought it was a fluke.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks Barry.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.