Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I dont buy this but thought some of you might be interested...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-nitro-express-500-grain-solid-box-of-10

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

BP-B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
$5.40 per shot. Ridiculous.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
$5.40 per shot. Ridiculous.

Ridiculously cheap..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Not compared with handloading .458 WM.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Point was they were cheap compared to their normal price, but never mind.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cheap.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'm amazed and thanks for clarifying.

As an obsessive handloader, I have never allowed a factory round to be shot in my .375 or .458, including while hunting DG in Africa.

With prices like this, how can anyone afford to shoot a .470 NE enough to become proficient enough for hunting? I guess it might not matter if you can afford a quality double rifle. As for me, the price difference between that and Model 70s allowed me to hunt more.

Another question: What are solids good for any more? Americans are not allowed to bring back elephant bulls from most of the countries where they are found, rhinos are practically extinct, and more and more PHs recommend well constructed "soft" points for buffalo, at least for the first shot or two.

Head shots on hippo? Small bucks that you don't want to overly damage?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well its not a bad price considering how much of it they actually make a year! The costs are the same as say a 458 winchester! If you are only making 10000 rounds of 470 NE vis 5 million 458's economics of scale come in! The whole reason that the 458 was introduced was for economic reasons, a less costly cartridge to shoot that performed about the same as the 470! A 200 dollar at the time M-70 vs 10K for a Holland and Holland Double! Winchester sold a boat load of 458's while at the same time Holland and Holland were lucky if they made 25 guns! When you drop 50K to go hunt elephant, paying 6 bucks for the cartridge along with what a decent double costs these days don't seem all that out of line! Then again I have no real interest to hunt in Africa anymore period! I would rather take the cash, spend it hunting Black tails on Kodiak, and going down to NZ for trout fishing!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A couple of thoughts. People that buy doubles, usually don't quibble with pesky issues like costs of ammo and in my observation, tend to buy it by the case. As far as solids is concerned, there is still plenty of non-US elephant hunters out there, not to mention the thought it's probably safe to assume Trump will drain the Swamp at USFWS and we'll be back to normal again. Further, there is still a use for solids. Hippo on dry land comes to mind, as well as White Rhino which can still be imported, not to mention the fact many PHs still carry solids as their daily carry. Lastly, the fact the solids are on sale is a good indicator as to the reason why.

I hand load for my 450NE, and even I'm shooting cup and core Hornadys, rounds are still pricey.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another thought: Often the hunters who can afford big doubles and use them in Africa are also avid shotgunners who prefer double-barreled scatterguns. Or at least I know this is true of several of my acquaintance.

The guy I'm most familiar with, a good friend who lives about an hour away, has several professional-level clay-target throwers on his country place. During the nicer 2/3 of the Montana year, he regularly holds weekend shoots for anybody interested, and he alone probably puts 10,000 rounds through his side-by-side shotguns each year.

One of the advantages of double rifles is aside from the weight, they handle very much like double shotguns--and many 10-gauges resemble heavy double rifles in both weight and balance. If you're a shotgunner who often shoots doubles, it's easy to transfer the same skills to a double rifle, especially one that fits you, as they should. Often a practiced shotgunner can hit closer targets with a double rifle only using the front sight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Very good price.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Does anyone know what caliber double rifle James Bond used in SKYFALL?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Anderson Wheeler 500 NE

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
445 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 49 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.