Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by magshooter1
In addition to all the Leupold 2-7x33's I forgot I have a Kahles AH 2-7x36 on my Pre '81 BLR .358. It's a bit above the price point in question though. In my opinion it may be the best 2-7 ever made. At least of all the ones I've ever looked thru.

Agree with you on the Kahles, just try finding one.

I have a 2-7 rimfire on a Cooper 57M.

Next best, IMO, is the VX-2 2-7. Decent glass quality, great CS and good ER. Good value for the dollar.

DF

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by ABLE
PLEASE SHARE YOU ACTUAL EXPERIENCES and THOUGHTS

I've owned or taken game with the following:

Vortex Viper 2-7: My first one was amazing in every way. 2nd had tunnel vision, but still worked well. 3rd had less tunnel vision, & I like the long range dots. I like the view and the magnification lever.

Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8: Better view than the Vipers, but it's a bigger scope. Kinda funky looking, but quite serviceable.

Redfield Revolution 2-7: I didn't care for the view or the reticle, but it certainly worked well enough.

Zeiss Conquest 2-8: Ocular is big, but the picture is outstanding and I love the reticle. An excellent scope, but it had better be for 2 to 3x the price of the others.

Leupold VX1 2-7x33 (Whatever the current production model is): I've never been a Leupold fan, but this really is a very nice scope. To my eyes, for performance/price, it's near the top of the heap. And yes, I had to swallow hard when I typed that. What with Doug's price on 'em, plus a $50 rebate from Leupold, I'd find it hard to pass up.

FC

I had forgotten that I had also briefly owned a Nikon Monarch UCC 2-7x32. It was plenty good enough, but kind of, "meh" to my eyes. In the above lineup, I'd put it ahead of only the Redfield.

Looking back through my posts, I sold it here for $110, shipped. I'm thinking I might have left a li'l $ on the table with that one... whistle

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm now a Redfield Revolution guy. Their 2-7X33 is light weight, fairly short, has good eye relief and it's very clear and bright.

Of course they're now owned by Leupold and have the best warranty in the business.

If you have one that develops a problem, just send it in and they fix it. No questions asked.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
In addition to all the Leupold 2-7x33's I forgot I have a Kahles AH 2-7x36 on my Pre '81 BLR .358. It's a bit above the price point in question though. In my opinion it may be the best 2-7 ever made. At least of all the ones I've ever looked thru.

Next best, IMO, is the VX-2 2-7. Decent glass quality, great CS and good ER. Good value for the dollar.

DF

I've owned 2 of the 2-7 Kahles,both the AH and CL model.I still own a CL model. The Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32 is a better scope in every way if it turns out to be durable. I've only owned it one season,but so far,so good.

I do agree however that the Kahles is better than any other tweener I've ever tried except the Razor.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My only 2x7 experience was with a Nikon Monarch UCC. I thought it was slightly brighter and more clear than my Leupolds. I like the scope but wanted a thicker reticle so I sold it to a friend who is pleased with it. Check the fine print on illuminated reticles. Many brands are only warranted for two years on the electronics.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think I have 4 Leupold versions of the 2-7 scopes. I like them much more than the larger 3-9X40's. Never had an issue with any of them but still have gravitated to fixed power scopes when hunting out of state; I really like the FXII 4X. I basically keep all variable scopes on 4X when hunting anyway, and only use the higher magnifications for paper/load development.

As an aside, my oldest 2-7 is a Vari-Xii (I think) it is friction adjusted and seems to have the best glass and 'eye box' of the group.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 2-7X33 Leupold VX-2 CDS on a smaller .308 that I use a lot. Hunting mainly in semi to thick woods, the field of view on low power is very useful, and I have never really felt compromised by the upper limit on a farther shot.

I kinda think of it as a more versatile scope than a 3-9X40, and it saves weight, too. The additional field of view is a bonus in the thick stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my 2-7x33 Kahles with TDS Reticle. I have it on a Sako 85 338 Federal Stainless Hunter.

It is a great set up. I would buy another Kahles 2-7 however you don't see one reasonably priced because everyone that has them loves them.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have an old Redfield 2x7, great scope for jumping deer out of canyons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started out with my first 2-7 with a Leupold vii with a CPC reticle back in 1982. The scope served me well hunting the dairy farms in upstate NY where I would be in the woods most of the day and may have an occasional shot across a pasture.

I found that my eyesight isn't what it was in 1982 around 2005 or so and replaced the aging optics of the Leupold with the much heralded Vortex Viper 2-7x32. While the optics were a huge improvement over the older Leupold, the field of view was horrendous. Total tunnel vision. I hated it.

I now have a Bushnell Elite 2-7 on that 7x57 rifle. Very nice scope.

I sold the Vortex.

The Leupold rests on an old Savage 32-20 near my backdoor for shooting deer too close to civilization.

Dan

Last edited by Dantheman; 02/21/17.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It seems many like the VX-2 2-7X33. How does the VX-2 2-7X28 Ultralight compare? The rifle model, not the Rimfire.

Lee F.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid"

-John Wayne

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

DF

I've owned 2 of the 2-7 Kahles,both the AH and CL model.I still own a CL model. The Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32 is a better scope in every way if it turns out to be durable. I've only owned it one season,but so far,so good.

I do agree however that the Kahles is better than any other tweener I've ever tried except the Razor.

How do you like that Vortex G4 BDC reticle? It would be nice if Vortex offered a duplex option.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MCT3

DF

How do you like that Vortex G4 BDC reticle? It would be nice if Vortex offered a duplex option.

I like it a lot better than I thought I would from the pictures.It is much bolder than i thought it would be.It is very much like a German #4 but with a dot in the center and a couple hash marks for longer range. I have not shot it long range yet to correlate the dots to a specific yardage.

I have sat until dark with it in the woods several times and I never saw a time when I couldn't have used the reticle to kill a deer even though I couldn't see the center dot at very last light. I could see the whole reticle plenty enough to make any reasonable distance shgots at dark.For me that would be up to about 200 yards with this scope. I use it on a Montana for a woods gun so distance wasn't top consideration.

The dot seems to me to about perfectly cover one of those quarter size target dots at 100 yards. I really like the dot for an aiming point for anything right up to dark. The thicker portions of the reticle extend close enough to the center to use them to bracket an animal under 100 yards well past any legal light. I could hunt hogs on a bright night on 1.5X up to and possibly a bit past 100 yards.

I told Koshkin,who helped design the reticle, that I would sell all my other scopes if Vortex would use Tritium for the center dot.The glass clarity was very impressive. I could see 100 yard bullet holes on 8X as well as with my Leupold on 12X. The image goes all the way to the tube without any tunneling making the image appear absolutely huge on 1.5X. This is a very good scope for fast target acquisition. Eye box is very generous on low power,better than my 2-7 Leupold or 2-7 Kahles on low power. It shrinks a bit on higher power but I did not find it a handicap.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The higher quality glass you have, the less Xs you need as far as I'm concerned. That is on hunting applications. That is why whenever I'm scoping another rifle my thoughts start at 2X7 every time and go from there. That said, I have an assortment including Nikon, Redfield Revolutions and Leupold. All do fine work but the Leupy is of course the best. I mounted one on sportered Swede yesterday and threw it up to my shoulder and was looking right at 500 yds with clarity then realized it was only on 2X. Doesn't get any better than that. This being an old Vari X II.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me as another 2-7 fan. I have that type of scope on most of my hunting rifles. The Leupold is great, but I really prefer the old Redfield Widefield scopes. Makes me laugh when I see supposedly smart gun writers refer to them as "TV screen Redfield's."

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a Redfield 2-7 widefield on my first deer rifle [ Winchester 100]...both still work fine....purchased the rifle in 1970 and the scope in 71 or 72???...was just a teenager and had to save up for it.....

gunut
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Recently picked up a used Kahles 2-7x36 TDS from the classifieds and mounted in my Savage LightWeight Hunter 243. Have not hunted with it but after one range session I am very happy with it.

Ted
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
You might think me a scope snob but I wouldn't own a scope under $200 for hunting. The cheapest one I would be interested in is the Leupold VXR 2-7.

The 2-7 or tweener scopes are my favorite hunting scopes. Leopold is good, Kahles is better and I've found the Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8 to be the best yet.

There is nothing at all wrong with the Redfield Revolution 2-7. Made in the Leupold plant in the USA. They are well under $200. I got mine for $119 on sale. You'd be hard pressed to find any difference between it and the Leupold.

This is a great suggestion.... the revolution line goes through all the stress testing that Leupold puts on their main line of scopes, and passes with flying colors.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the review RHC. Sounds like a great little scope.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by old_willys
Recently picked up a used Kahles 2-7x36 TDS from the classifieds and mounted in my Savage LightWeight Hunter 243. Have not hunted with it but after one range session I am very happy with it.

I miss that scope already. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,135
Posts18,464,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.