Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Was out of the office doing some work with a local machine shop.
At lunch, I decide to ride over to a small gun shop that sometimes has a deal on their used gun rack.

I spot a Marlin 60 with the "Squirrel" stock. Looks to be in pretty good shape.

I'm looking it over and pull the bolt back to see how dirty the chamber is. Out pops a damn live round!!
So I grab the rod in the tube magazine, and I can feel the spring is under pressure. I walk over to the counter where one of the employees has been BS'ing for the last mins with a customer. I pull the rod out the magazine, and turn the barrel towards the counter, and 7-8 live rounds come rolling out. I sat the rifle on top of the counter, and tell the employee that there's another live round on the floor by the gun rack, as I'm walking out the door.

I know there's some dumbasses out there that will bring a loaded gun into a store, but have you ever picked up a loaded gun off the rack before?

Gives me the shivers just thinking how badly this COULD have turned out!

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might have wanted to talk to the owner.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1... The owner should know, and the employee may not inform him of what happened. That could have easily turned into a very nasty situation. I've never seen it but the LGS near here, run by a guy I've known well for over 20 years, has had numerous folks walk in with loaded guns that they "didn't know it was loaded".

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have seen a Ruger 10/22 with a loaded magazine (empty chamber) at an auction. Picked up a S&W revolver that was loaded with six rounds of 357mag at another auction.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
NO! I always ask the owner to check the item in question first. That's just me and I DO know what I'm doing. But…...

Forgive the diversion but ….what's biting down your way right now? Has the warm weather accelerated the waters?

Looking to get out for a week or so in the next 30 days.

Thanks!!

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I worked in a LGS during my high school and college years. Saw three accidental discharges during my time. Two from customers and one from the owner. It happens, no matter how careful folks are.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
chit happens and that is why you treat all weapon as they are loaded

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I stopped at a place one time that had a handwritten sign out front that said "Gun Sale."

It was like a rummage sale but had a few misc. guns in the guys garage.

I picked up a Marlin .22 and did the same thing. Pulled the bolt back and a live round came flying out.

I brought it over to the guy and told him and he said "huh! good thing one of them kids didn't shoot anybody"

I felt like slapping him upside the head.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I had it happen in a pawn shop. Opened the bolt on a Rem 700 in 22-250 and a round came flying out. Made a helluva noise when it hit the glass display case, but nothing like the noise if somebody had touched it off. I bought the gun, but told him he had to take extra off because I saved him a hole in the wall, or worse.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by byc
NO! I always ask the owner to check the item in question first. That's just me and I DO know what I'm doing. But…...

Forgive the diversion but ….what's biting down your way right now? Has the warm weather accelerated the waters?

Looking to get out for a week or so in the next 30 days.

Thanks!!

David

David,

Santee is on fire!!! I had 7 over 4 lbs each on Sunday. Biggest was 6.5-7lbs...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just another reminder why every gun should be treated as if it's loaded.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Chit does indeed happen.

When i was in high school I went deer hunting with my dad's '94. (still- or rather- once again in my possession). Cold, snowy. Before getting in the car to head homer, I jacked the lever until nothing came out -5 arounds out of the tube, Funny, I thought I had loaded 6.

After supper I went to clean it. I had shot it - and missed earlier in the day. Never was worth a damn on running shots. For some reason, I worked the lever twice- and out popped a live round. Apparently it had hung up in the tube somehow.

Scared the hell out of me.

On another occasion I worked the bolt on a rifle - I forget what - until nothing popped out to make sure the chamber/magazine were empty when finished hunting. Closed the bolt, pointed the rifle at the ground, and pulled the trigger to release the spring tension. BOOM!

From then on, I visually check the chamber and magazine or stick a finger in it. THEN I release the striker pressure!

I learned lucky!

Last edited by las; 02/21/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was checking a group of rifles and shotguns from a local estate sale and one shotgun had a loaded chamber and more in the magazine.
I cycled them out and the sales rep said "that must have been the Old Guy's home defense gun".

Check every gun you handle!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Picked up a 1898 krag at a gunshow asked the dealer to cut the zip tie. Worked the bolt and I live round came out and the mag was loaded also. He was thankful and ended up buying it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bea175
chit happens and that is why you treat all weapon as they are loaded

This.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Several years ago I was at a gun shop with a friend. I asked the sales clerk if I could see one of their handguns. He takes it out of the case checks to make sure it's unloaded, then he hands it to me. I checked to make sure it was unloaded. Then I handed it to my friend. She didn't check to see if it was unloaded. I'd berated her for not checking.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I've never seen it but the LGS near here, run by a guy I've known well for over 20 years, has had numerous folks walk in with loaded guns that they "didn't know it was loaded".
Ditto re: the last part..

I have had a couple customers come in with loaded rounds BUT I was informed of it beforehand due to malfunctions that prevented its removal so was fully prepared..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Watched a clerk at a now defunct gun shop clear the action on a .45 ACP, round pops out hits the counter and he start berating the other clerk for not checking it. Then he pointed the pistol at the owners tropical fish tank and pulled the trigger... Yep you guessed it, the dumbass never checked the mag and blew the hell out of the fish tank! Never went back there..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've done the same at least twice at gun shows.

A friend who used to own a local store (sold out recently) picked up a gun from the counter to show and found a loaded round in the chamber. This guy ALWAYS checked the chambers on any firearm before handing them to a customer with the action open.

Earlier in the day he had shown that gun to someone else. When the handed it back he put it back under the counter without re-checking. He is certain that guy dropped a round in the chamber while looking at the gun. Not sure why. After that day they all got checked before putting them up.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was in the LGS a couple of years back, noticed a bunch of small holes in the wall at the end of the gunsmith's workbench. The smith was to cheap to buy some dummy rounds,was checking the function of a 22 when it went full auto on him,at least it was in the vice and pointed at the wall!

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.