Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm flying into O'Hare Friday to take my son to visit a few colleges in Iowa and I'll have a few hours to blow before we have to head west.

Is it worth trying to see something for a few hours or should we just put the Windy city in the rear-view mirror?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looks like the weather's gonna suck. Windy and rain.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You have until Friday to practice dropping and laying flat on the ground.

Please do good at it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You could go to the West Side and watch the gunfights. Just don't get caught in a cross-fire.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
When I lived in Chicagoland 25 years ago the gunfights were mostly on the south side, not the west. What's up with that?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if you can get it done in the time you have, but the U boat display at the Museum of History and Industry is definitely worth it. Will give you a perspective on what the WWII sailors went through.

Regards,

Tom
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by achadwick
When I lived in Chicagoland 25 years ago the gunfights were mostly on the south side, not the west. What's up with that?

Historically that's been the case, with the South Side having one of the highest murder rates in the country. Recently I read an article about the murders moving toward the West side. I'm wondering if that's now the more lucrative drug territory? Drug dealers trying to go upscale and the murders following?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Natural History, and the Art Institute are all worth seeing. A trip to the top of the Hancock Building is cool - I was told it's better than the Sears tower. There's a a restaurant at 2121 Clark Street which is across the street from where the St. Valentine's massacre took place.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's been 17 years since I've been there, but I think it was lakeshore drive that everyone raced on. Could rent a car and try it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Skip Museum of Science and Industry and the Aquarium unless you have kids Jr. High and younger with you.

I'd hit the Art Institute or the Field Museum. Then I'd get some Chicago deep dish at Uno's or Giordano's (or if you want to get outta town hit the Giordano's in Rockford on your way west if you're going to Galena). I'd try and hit Galena, IL on my way west if you can make it. Google it. Neat old town with a bunch of shops and historical POIs, Grant's birthplace.

My sister and her husband live in Iowa City and the BIL works at the University of Iowa. Sis is a graduate there. If you have trouble getting any questions answered about University of Iowa let me know and I'll get them answered.

Also, IMO, I'd just head west direct from O'Hare and skip the museums. You're going 30-45 minutes in the wrong direction from IA to get downtown. Once you cross the Mississippi it's pretty much corn and soybeans until you hit a big town.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tominboise
I don't know if you can get it done in the time you have, but the U boat display at the Museum of HistoryScience and Industry is definitely worth it. Will give you a perspective on what the WWII sailors went through.

If you do go that route then get your tickets for the U-boat in advance. Last time I was there (a year ago) they were sold out day-of.

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oh, and if you're visiting Iowa City there's 2 stops you need to make for food:

-Pizza at the Wig and Pen tavern- get the Flying Tomato pizza
-Burgers and Beers @ Red's Alehouse

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

If you only have just a few hours between flights it probably wouldn't be worth the effort and risk to try doing anything much other than maybe eating at a restaurant or something real close to O'Hare.

Counting travel time to and from O'Hare you really wouldn't have the time to do any of the more interesting sights justice.

Get tied up in Chicago traffic or lost or whatever you could miss your next flight out.

As always, YMMV.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Many things to see - but the Museum of Science and Industry will shoot a day or three. smile
The Shedd Aquarium is good for at least a full day.

Both well worth the time, in my experience.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hmmm... hadn't thought of that joken.

Wyo, you flying west to an IA airport or driving?

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We're flying from Denver to Chicago then driving to two schools in Iowa and one in western Illinois before we fly back out. All small colleges.. Cornell, Luther and Knox.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Luther. All I'll say is I knew a chick from Luther for a while. Good times. I grew up in Freeport, Illinausea.

If you drive through Freeport, IL on your way in or out of state I highly Suggest Cannova's Italian Restaurant. Pizza fair to middling but their pastas are excellent and their red sauce I have learned to mimic thanks to Linda (half-owner). Cannova's is closed on Monday nights but the only other good sit-down place that isn't a bar is Fieldstone and it's next door- get a burger or steak.

If you get stuck in Freeport and want pizza hit Joe's on Stephenson or Maria's on business 20.

Near Galena there'a a western style firewatch tower. You can head up and look over the "driftless" part of NW Illinois where the glaciers didn't flatten it to a seemingly infinite plateau.

Last edited by bigfish9684; 02/21/17.

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Fugitaboutit..not enough time. Bring a puzzle book go to the bathroom ..load up on snacks.. then watch the TSA slowasses (work?)..people watch..count the muzzies you see in the airterminal and report back

West End Ioway has the Heebert Hoober presidential library..
the outhouse in back was my choice for the Obongo crypt and presidential library..go see it...its on the way

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They tore down many of the "projects" in Chicago, relocating the fine upstanding citizens around the city.

Interpretation; they left the inmates out and they scattered with the wind.

This same plan has been replayed across the country. Now, instead of havin concentrated bad areas, whole regions get to experience the "Hood".

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd rather schitt my britches every hour on the hour than even think about going to Chicago! New Orleans the same way!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.