?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I am working on it but no answer yet.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You talking about detachable bottom metal or hinged floor plate?

Nobody is making a dbm but I saw one of their new models had the option. Might call Kimber.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hinged floor plate. Kimber already makes the part. It's just a question of wether it would work with the Montana stock.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This question come up from time to time. Kimber has said that in order for the kevlar stock to be sufficiently strong, they needed for the blind magazine. Seeing that new synthetic stocks are at least $600 and a factory only fit, that's some expensive experimentation.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a hard time believing that, unless Kimber stock isn't very robust. The examples I have handled seemed to be pretty stout, so I doubt that's the case.
Wonder if McMillan will inlet a Compact for the Kimber?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would you want to?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have a hard time believing that, unless Kimber stock isn't very robust. The examples I have handled seemed to be pretty stout, so I doubt that's the case.
Wonder if McMillan will inlet a Compact for the Kimber?

You can believe whatever you want, I guess. A retired Kimber engineer used to post here. He stated emphatically that the Montana's blind magazine was a necessity to retain the strength of the stock.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
All blind mag stocks are stronger than ones with a floorplate. No news in that regard.
I am going to modify an existing alloy tg&f assembly. Have not finished it yet.
The floorplate has a number of advantages.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what are they?

IC B3

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by starsky
Why would you want to?

For starters I have had a follower freeze down. Much easier to clear with a floor plate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

For starters I have had a follower freeze down. Much easier to clear with a floor plate.

The make of that rifle?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sako AV.
I was tracking deer after a snow storm on a windy day. Between the blowing snow and snow falling of the trees the follower became frozen in place along with the cartridges.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/23/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sako AV.

Gotchya, thanks Ben. I wasn't aware Sako made a blind magazine.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The stock as it comes is very strong and rigid but if you section a Montana stock down the long axis into symmetric halves you'll see that inletting for DBM raises some issues that are difficult to overcome. The stock was very well designed to work as is so I can't fault Kimber for not making a stock that would play nice with DBM. I added a front sling swivel to my Kimber Talkeetna (removed the barrel band) which involved cutting a 3/4 hole through the barrel channel and foam core ending up at the inside surface of the lower forend. It came out great. smile

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
There is a difference between DBM and a floorplate. I believe the question related to floorplates.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There is a difference between DBM and a floorplate. I believe the question related to floorplates.

It's basically the same problem whether it's retrofitting Kimber bottom metal or DBM from another vendor. Anyway, here's a photo showing an 84L that has been sectioned down the long axis to create two symmetric halves. The arrow points to a foam-filled void that could easily be filled with an epoxy/fiber blend after inlettting. The Kimber bottom metal shown is 0.25" thick. Whether or not the stock would be seriously weakened by cutting out the bottom of the magazine well is open to debate (the Hunter is essentially like that) but it would depend to some extent on how well fitted the bottom metal is. The good news is that the rear inletting where the trigger guard sits is already done (mostly) since the trigger guard has the same outline as the bottom metal. A benefit of this swap would be a one round increase in magazine capacity if that's important to you. Obviously, doing something like this would void the warranty of the stock but I had no concerns adding a front sling swivel stud to my Talkeetna and would try this modification if I wanted the features offered by the bottom metal.

[Linked Image]

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Learn something new everyday

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Sako AV.

Gotchya, thanks Ben. I wasn't aware Sako made a blind magazine.

I'm not sure if Sako made a blind magazine AV, Brad. My sako has a floor plate. I should have been more clear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new open coutry will come with a carbon stock and a detachable floorplate. But the stock is completely different that the montana and probably engineered to have thicker sidewalls than the montana for structure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,109
Posts18,464,293
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.