Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are other ways to reduce them substantially if they are being a problem. The issue is that most landowners that want them gone now aren't willing to do the work. They want to take a pill and make the problem go away. It sums up society in general as a whole in this 21st century.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Personally, I won't pay to hunt hogs and to date, haven't paid to hunt deer except the annual public hunting permit costs, license and typical travel expenses. I'd prefer folks weren't willing to pay so much to hunt hogs or anything else for that matter. But they do and so it goes. There are landowners that will allow hunting on their property, especially for hogs. Trouble is, the trust factor. It's so much easier if they know you or someone they know can vouch for you. Too many will litter, leave gates open, shoot livestock, damage fences, invite others not authorized, etc. Rotten apples always spoil the barrel.

Frankly, the occasional hunter doesn't control much population given the rate sows spit out piglets. Trapping is probably one of the best ways to really work it. Thinking from the landowner's point of view, a more effective hunting solution might be to bring a large group of hunters and do a thorough, organized drive hunt. Especially, if the hogs are bedded down on their property and not just coming there to feed.

All the reasons you stated above plus. We live in a law suit society. A lot of ranchers have been burnt by law suits. Cost of insurance alone is a factor. Most large ranches require the people who lease the property to have insurance. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Back in the day, cotton farmers had access to Timik, a potent organophosphate poison that was deadly on 'yotes, hogs, gators, buzzards, etc. It caused critters to foam at the mouth and choke on their secretions. The antidote is atropine, which dries up the secretions. Timik is now hard to get, is a controlled substance.

I don't think nitrite hangs around in the tissue. It affects the hog's blood, making methemaglobin which the hog can't metabolize very well. Their organs smother becaue hemaglobin in replaced by methemagloving, oxygen starving tissues and they die. Other critters aren't as sensitive to nitrites as hogs.

Nitrites, ironically, are used in curing bacon. Ingested by a hog, nitrites will "cure their bacon" before their bacon gets cured... laugh

DF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Thats what I figured, let the market set prices. But why don't some landowners offer baited stands at cheaper prices? Get someone to pay you a few bucks to shoot your problem. Or would the hogs wise up, and the whole dealing with people thing, become too much trouble. We had a small batch get started here, people were shooting the crap out of them. Then the PGC brought in trappers and banned hunting them. I am very cynical of the PGC, but I have not seen or heard of the hogs for a good while.

A couple of cheap/poor Yankees in Texas will cause more problems than it will fix.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The local newspaper, the Palestine Herald-Press www.palestineherald.com, runs an Outdoor column sometimes on Wednesdays ... and the subject today was Hogs, from several authors on the Farm & Ranch Page.

Great pictorial article by Adam Russell of Texas A&M AgriLife dept, www.adam.russellag.tamu.org goes into some detail of how to best to trap hogs. A pair of pics by Dr Billy Higgenbotham of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service shows a teardrop trap pen and explains how to catch whole sounders at a time, that I've never seen discussed before, and how & when to best use it from year to year as a permanent fixture.

Hogs is a HOT topic right now in Texas, and elswhere too I'm sure.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Thats what I figured, let the market set prices. But why don't some landowners offer baited stands at cheaper prices? Get someone to pay you a few bucks to shoot your problem. Or would the hogs wise up, and the whole dealing with people thing, become too much trouble. We had a small batch get started here, people were shooting the crap out of them. Then the PGC brought in trappers and banned hunting them. I am very cynical of the PGC, but I have not seen or heard of the hogs for a good while.

A couple of cheap/poor Yankees in Texas will cause more problems than it will fix.

From the landowner's perspective, free access to your land by the public can be a bigger problem than hogs...

Landowners react from past experiences, nothing happens in a vacuum...

Just saying.

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I tend to agree with Kaywoodie. Lots of other problems the Ag commissioner needs to worry about first.

I would probably feel different if I made my living planting row crops or running a golf course that was getting rooted up; but I've lived all my 40 years around feral hogs and just never felt they were that much of a problem. They will root up some pasture but not a whole lot past that as at least in our area they tended to stay in the lower river bottoms where there wasn't much going on other than hunting and fishing.

As to why landowners don't offer free/cheaper hog hunts, I've never had a hog leave beer cans on the ground, gates open so cows could get out or shoot up things they weren't supposed to but I've had guests do all of those things.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Mixed reservations here. I realize I'm in an extreme minority. I don't have any vested financial interest in any agricultural activities other than my garden. Been around wild hogs for almost 40 years. Hunted on family and friends ranches that have had hogs present for decades. And yes, Ive seen all the damage they are capable of committing. I realize they can be a serious environmental and agricultural issue,,,,,, but,,,,,,

I've never considered them a problem. And I've killed many in my back yard.

To me there exist considerable greater environmental and agricultural concerns that wild pigs. Cracker box urban sprawl subdivisions, wildlife habitat, and agricultural land loss bother me more.

I know I'm about to get flamed. But I've gone on the record before that I will take the pigs over people any day!

Flame away!!

In large part, Kaywoodie, I agree with you. I live in Oklahoma and we have feral hogs as well. The hogs are destructive and create issues but I am not in favor of poisoning as there are too many unintended consequences as a result. We don't open the ranch to hunters for reasons like have been described above. I'll deal with the hog issue as it occurs and enjoy shooting them when given the opportunity.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well, this morning I had a chance to talk to Dave Morrison, Wildlife Division Deputy Director of Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. He is not totally in favor of poisoning hogs, either, and says it isn't yet a done deal. TPWD is still investigating Sodium Nitrite, and he has no more information on the Warferin poison than anybody else watching the news right now. There is supposed to be a big meeting in Alabama soon with the people who make and sell it, so more info should be out soon.

One thing he did know, is the state of Texas will Not be doing it, and any landowner who wants to use it if it is approved, will have to hire someone licensed to use it - it won't be sold to the general public.

Mike

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would like to kill all on our lease, they root everywhere.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'Hog Apocalypse': Texas Has a New Plan to Kill Feral Pigs

By Craig Hlavaty

The people of Texas are getting a bit more serious about the feral hogs problem plaguing the state.

The nasty swine cost Texans nearly $52 million in damages a year making eradicating them a major issue. Nationally, they cost Americans nearly $1.5 billion.

Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller approved the use of pesticides this week to aid in the killing of feral hogs, long a scourge of Texas landowners. The approved poison is called Kaput Feral Hog Lure and contains warfarin which is already used to kill larger rodents.

The colorful Miller offered up a meaty quote to reporters on Monday regarding the poison plan.

"This is going to be the hog apocalypse, if you like: If you want them gone, this will get them gone," Miller said.

Some Texas hunters are miffed because they enjoy hunting and killing the hogs with firearms or a bow and arrow, if they are especially skilled. For hunters shooting the hogs is a lot more fun than just poisoning them. The Texas Hog Hunters Association's Eydin Hansen says hunters who shoot and kill the hogs for their dinner tables would be less likely to if they suspect the hogs have poison in their systems. That group has started a Change.org petition to protest Miller's decision.

Scavenger animals like buzzards and coyotes may also be exposed to the chemical pellets aimed at eradicating feral hogs if they eat the hog carcass.

Miller's office wrote in statement to Dallas' CBS11 they fully-researched the Kaput product and considered the environmental impact. before approving its use on feral hogs

"Kaput Feral Hog Bait has been researched extensively and field-tested in Texas over the past decade in partnerships with various state agencies including TDA. Hogs are susceptible to warfarin toxicity, whereas humans and other animals require much higher levels of exposure to achieve toxic effects," the statement said.

The substance will only be available to licensed pesticide applicators, according to Miller's office, and dispensed in special hog feeders built for attracting the hogs.

"Warfarin has been studied extensively in animals and is practically non-toxic to birds. Due to the insolubility of warfarin in water, there should be no impact to aquatic life. Non-target wildlife, livestock and domestic pets would have to ingest extremely large quantities over the course of several days to reach a toxic level of warfarin in the bloodstream," Miller's office added.

The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service has approved of the use of warfarin. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has been consulted as well and they support this new feral hog control management practice.

"In general, secondary exposure to other animals is low because the levels of warfarin in target animals are generally too low to be toxic to either a predator or scavenger," Miller's statement read.

What about the nagging worry that a feral hog's meat is inedible? Some people say they taste just as good or better than standard pig flesh.

"Warfarin at 0.005 percent as a feral hog toxicant has been shown to have a low level of residue in hog meat, especially in muscle tissue, which is what humans typically consume. One person would have to eat 2.2 lbs of hog liver -- where the warfarin is most concentrated in the body -- to achieve the same exposure as a human would receive in one therapeutic dose of warfarin," the statement read.

Overrun with feral hogs, Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller is planning to fight dirty, using pesticide targeting the wild pigs to try to even the playing field. With a population of 2.5 million, the hogs cause about $50 million a year in damages to agriculture, plus untold damage to civilian backyards. Miller's solution? Warfarin-laced hog lure -- food laced with enough of the same drug used in rat poison to bring down a hog.

Most people taking warfarin for medical uses only take between 2 to 10 milligrams a day.

"Warfarin metabolizes and exits the body fairly quickly, so a hog that was trapped and fed for several days prior to processing would most likely not have any warfarin present at the time of slaughter," Miller's office wrote.

There will be a blue dye present in the hog's fatty tissue that will indicate ingestion of warfarin as well.

You can thank Spanish settlers for bringing feral hogs to North America centuries ago so they could reproduce and provide a food source.

Even though Kaput will now be the poison of choice for those plagued by hogs, don't expect hog hunting to lose any of its appeal in the state.

(c)2017 the Houston Chronicle

http://www.governing.com/topics/transportation-infrastructure/tns-hog-apocalypse.html?utm_term=%27Hog%20Apocalypse%27%3A%20Texas%20Has%20a%20New%20Plan%20to%20Kill%20Feral%20Pigs&utm_campaign=Is%20the%20GOP%27s%20Tea%20Party%20Over&utm_content=email&utm_source=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=email

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Warfarin is used all the time in rodent bait like Decon. The wholesale spreading of the stuff in the field has to devastate the rodents, AKA bird and predator feed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Warfarin is used all the time in rodent bait like Decon. The wholesale spreading of the stuff in the field has to devastate the rodents, AKA bird and predator feed.

One of those unintended consequences spoken of.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So you pay a licensed pest control guy to come out and place and maintain the bait...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Depends on if you are a hog or a land-owner over-run with same.. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Sources? Some poisons do, others don't. I don't know in this case.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Where I hunt in east Texas there are quite a few hogs. Poison would not help the other animal population at all. There are a ton of coyotes and bobcats, and we saw one mountain lion, and they would be collateral damage from the poisoning of the hogs.

I would hate to see them disappear.

In addition to the predators, the birds that might help carcass removal like vultures and crows would suffer as well. My son killed a buck last November, and I have camera photos 20 minutes after we left of vultures landing on the gut pile...20 minutes. They were circling before we left and this was in an oak infested creek bottom.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
BTW...I don't think the study was accurate. There will be downstream collateral damage.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As I stated earlier, the Director of the Wildlife Division of Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. told me personally his department was NOT in favor of poisoning hogs.

This morning's local paper had a story about a lawsuit already filed to prevent this.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were to become widespread, I would bet that within five to ten years, a strain of hogs resistant to that poison would be reproducing and filling that vacant niche.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
463 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.