Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody done a horse pack trip here just north of Yellowstone? Looking to take the family on a little fishing/riding adventure in July. Any outfitters to suggest or things to do/avoid?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Grizzlies are real, bear spray isn't all I would carry.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I got to hunt a late season migration hunt just north of Yellowstone in 83 and again in 85. Incredible amount of Elk everyday just pouring out of the park migrating north. These tags aren't even available anymore. Beautiful country back then and likely still is. As mentioned already it's Grizzly country and now over run with wolves! Sorry I can't be any help to you but your post brought back some fond memories.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/22/17.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hatari: I have done a lot of day hiking and fishing in the Absaroka - Beartooth Wilderness in the past.
Take aspirin along to help with altitude sickness as I see you are from "low country".
I took my oldest son and both my brothers there once and at the time we were all from the Seattle area (sea level!) and one place we camped was near Beartooth Pass (elevation 10,947'!).
All of us had difficulty "adjusting" to the altitude.
They have had a LOT of snow up thataway this year - I hope the trails are clear for your riding pleasure by then.
Enjoy your getaway and I wish I could be more help with a horse packer - I have just never used one up there.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I backpacked that area for about 10 straight summers in the 90s. Lots of fish, mosquitoes, and grizzlies. I have a physical therapy appointment in a few minutes, but check back here tonight--I will try to post some advice on best areas for horsepacking and fishing--at least back then. I personally think this is one of the most beautiful areas in the lower 48.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
be sure and drive in or out 212, if you haven't already--awesome

Defend the Constitution
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I think the best area for horsepack fishing is the northern portion called the Lake Plateau. Even though it is at about 10,000 feet, is has good horse trails going up to the plateau, and once you get to the top, there are lots of lakes within easy reach. The advantage is you have different species in different lakes, and if one isn't hot, you aren't stuck with trying to go over a pass to get to the next one. The best access is from Big Timber on I-90. From there you go south on highway 298 past Mcleod and on past Natural Bridge State Park. The road is variously called Old Boulder Road, Boulder Road, Main Boulder Road, and NF6639. Just don't veer off onto East or West Boulder Road (kind of like Peachtree in Atlanta grin). As for guides, I think the Big Timber Chamber of Commerce or the Montana guides association would be a good place to start. I always backpacked without a guide, and any I might have known are probably retired by now.
Here is a good overall map of the roads leading in. The Boulder road runs down the long club-shaped corridor that splits into the wilderness from the north.The plateau lakes are to the east/southeast of the road.
http://www.wilderness.net/map.cfm?x...max=-12177884.2574&ymax=5717230.7749
This book is the must have resource for fishing info--
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...ative=373489&creativeASIN=0762742275
Now some info on conditions. Depending on the year, snow may still be on parts of the trails in early July, and it will be cold at nights--sometimes below freezing. Be sure to take longjohns and fleece for layering. In a matter of minutes it can go from sunny to windy thunderstorms with hail or snow. I never left camp without rain gear in my daypack. Mosquitoes can match anything seen in southern swamps, so take plenty of repellent. Grizzlies are there, but not as visible as in Yellowstone or Glacier. Nevertheless, bear spray is your friend, unless you are sure you can head shoot an animal that charges uphill faster than you can run downhill.
By far, my biggest problem each summer was the initial altitude adjustment. Coming from Alabama, it took my body several days to shake the headaches. If you haven't done altitude before, read up on ways to ease the transition.
Now if this all sounds dismal, why would I have spent the best summers of my life there, and returned to scatter my wife's ashes? Well, in addition to the fishing, take a look at this...
http://www.dougroanephotography.com/Nature/Montanas-Absaroka-Beartooth/i-CsB3F68

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful Pictures. Thanks for posting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have hunted just on the west edge, east out of Paradise Valley several years ago. Saw my first grizzly in the lower 48 there. Beautiful country.

Hope to return for elk on October of 2018.

Should be a great trip for you.

IC B3

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the super info and links! Beautiful looking country.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice pics!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hatari,
Paul Donohoe has a ranch just north of Nye, MT and the ranch is surrounded on three sides with national forest land. The log hunters lodge has a picture window looking south with a view of the high country of Yellowstone.

I hunted with him a few years ago, and he does cater to year around outfitting, and he had good horses, and he and his wife are good hosts.
I would give him a call and if he isn't able to provide your exact need, he could probably give you someone's name that could.

donohoeoutfitting.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The mistake most people make in dealing with the altitude is they are so excited to be there that they hit the ground running. If at all possible plan on a couple of easy days, or at least one, before running up and down the hills. stay hydrated and don't overdo the alcohol. It will make a big difference.
I learned the hard way as do most.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's very true. I find "my legs" on about day-three.

Fluids + aspirin q 4hrs is a reasonable formula for real Flatlanders. Plus fluids. Plus fluids -- Minus ethanol and, hold caffeine to a minimum.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
If the bears make you nervous, take a look at any of the wilderness areas in Idaho. We have the most acres of wilderness in the lower 48...and for the most part, no griz.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by hatari
If the bears make you nervous, take a look at any of the wilderness areas in Idaho. We have the most acres of wilderness in the lower 48...and for the most part, no griz.

I had my ultimate instantaneous transition from sound sleep to 4-alarm awake one night while backpacking in the Beartooths just outside Red Lodge. Dog barking and something snarling. Seconds later I'm outside the tent with bear spray in one hand and flashlight in the other--nothing but moonlight and silence. Next morning I went by a camp about half a mile up the trail, and a guy told me he went out to pee about midnight and saw a cougar ghosting through his campsite. Don't know what that cat was after, but glad to have a dog in the tent. I guess I always sleep with one eye open in griz country, but never had one as close as that cougar. I have accidentally been so close to black bears I could smell them, and I definitely don't want to be that close to a grizzly.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hatari,

I hate horses for obvious reasons but I backpack in that area every summer. Lots of great fishing and a schit ton of bears.

I once kicked a grizzly bear's ass with nothing but a can of beer in that area. I had two witnesses also.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice pic's!

I've always wanted to do some serious trout fishing in those wilderness waters.

Last chance -- in the Winds -- I was too busy trying to collect elk meat though I was near "postcard" trout water every day.

It really was a tug-of-war as to what to do..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.