Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good morning All - a question for this group - IF one had a choice of a Ruger "African" w/23" barrel and open sights OR a CZ550 w/24" barrel w/o sights (both in 9.3X62mm) for your plains game light/medium rifle - which would you take? Reason? Tks
Homesteader

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ruger African. Because of the sights.....both are great and proven rifles but the Ruger gets the nod from me.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I took the CZ American with a 24" barrel and put NECG sights on it. Nice combo!

Last edited by haverluk; 02/18/17. Reason: added

Semper Fi

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a CZ American 9.3x62 and have no complaints. However, I think the older Ruger Africans are nicer. If you are looking at one with the nice Circassian stock and deep bluing, I would go that route.

W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've hunted with my CZ in 9.3x62. It and the Ruger, which I've used on the range, seem to me fault-free. Ditto the commercial Mauser in 9.3x62 I've carried in Africa. I do like iron sights on a rifle of this type. WvZ

Originally Posted by Homesteader
Good morning All - a question for this group - IF one had a choice of a Ruger "African" w/23" barrel and open sights OR a CZ550 w/24" barrel w/o sights (both in 9.3X62mm) for your plains game light/medium rifle - which would you take? Reason? Tks
Homesteader

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would go with whichever one feels the best to you. I don't think you would go wrong with either one. My CZ has made 2 trips to Africa with me, and I couldn't imagine not taking it on my next one. While I love my CZ, I think I would be just as happy with the Ruger. The lack of sights on the CZ doesn't matter to me one bit as all my rifles are scoped and I pack an extra scope with rings when I travel, especially to Africa.

Last edited by CraigP; 02/19/17.

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WvZ
I've hunted with my CZ in 9.3x62. It and the Ruger, which I've used on the range, seem to me fault-free. Ditto the commercial Mauser in 9.3x62 I've carried in Africa. I do like iron sights on a rifle of this type. WvZ

I'm with you 100% in wanting open sights on my rifle. I got a big 4X5 mulie years ago that I wouldn't have taken after my scope fogged badly on my venerable Savage 99 300 SVG. I had it in pivot mounts and took the buck on my way back to the truck to get my other rifle.

I have had several of the CZs and Rugers in 9.3X62, and both were good rifles. The CZ Americans were clubby with too much wood in their stocks, and the Rugers were a bit muzzle heavy. BUT, as I said both models were very good and accurate.

My favorite is a well balanced Mauser like this Husqvarna 640 I have presently. It cost about 1/2 what a CZ 550 does and far less than the current prices of the Ruger Hawkeye.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me it was Ruger

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
tedthorn - very nice rife...wife would kill for a dining room table with wood like that. To all that responded - thanks for your input. Homesteader

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
lantx005 - :...nice Circassian stock and deep bluing,..." Was not aware of this offering (figured wood etc.) at the time of my original Ruger older model purchase. My stock is a bit 'plain vanilla' compared to it BUT it fits me like I'm wearing a custom made suit...that counts for a lot. Homesteader

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
lantx005 - :...nice Circassian stock and deep bluing,..." Was not aware of this offering (figured wood etc.) at the time of my original Ruger older model purchase. My stock is a bit 'plain vanilla' compared to it BUT it fits me like I'm wearing a custom made suit...that counts for a lot. Homesteader

I am fairly certain they were a special run for Lipseys. I've seen some of similar quality to the one shown above in various calibers but have never ran across one in 375 H&H.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lantx005

I am fairly certain they were a special run for Lipseys. I've seen some of similar quality to the one shown above in various calibers but have never ran across one in 375 H&H.

It was. Lipseys was selling them for $900.00 when the standard guns sold everywhere else were about $800.00. I balked at getting one and regret it.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Homesteader

I'd pick the Ruger, but both are good.

Let me add that 9.3 x 62 is the ONLY rifle you'll likely need in Africa (local regs excepted) for anything short of hippo or elephant. I have probably a half dozen Cape buffalo that will attest to its effectiveness.

Maybe if you want to go Springbok sniping in the Karoo, 25-06 would be flatter, but otherwise, you're golden with the 9.3.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hatari
Homesteader

I'd pick the Ruger, but both are good.

Let me add that 9.3 x 62 is the ONLY rifle you'll likely need in Africa (local regs excepted) for anything short of hippo or elephant. I have probably a half dozen Cape buffalo that will attest to its effectiveness.

Maybe if you want to go Springbok sniping in the Karoo, 25-06 would be flatter, but otherwise, you're golden with the 9.3.

Slight derail... Hatari, what bullets have you used for buffalo?

Semper Fi

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have used 250 TSX and have also used the now impossible to find RWS H-Mantel. Both worked spectacularly.

I use H414 and R15 is another good choice. Recoil is amazingly mild when compared to the effectiveness. To me, no more than any of the .300 mags and not as sharp as a .338 mag.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This would be my choice.

It is an AHR CZ550 in 9.3x62. I went to Africa twice before I owned it and would like to go back with it someday.

It shoots factory loaded 286 gr Norma Oryx very well.

Have a look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It has NECG sights and a 30mm Leica scope in detachable Talleys.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Make it happen! smile

(BTW- Beautiful wood!)

Originally Posted by donsm70
This would be my choice.

It is an AHR CZ550 in 9.3x62. I went to Africa twice before I owned it and would like to go back with it someday.

[Linked Image]

It has NECG sights and a 30mm Leica scope in detachable Talleys.

donsm70

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
IndyCA35 - I had forgotten Lipsey's - the rifle shown was worth the extra $$$ for the pretty wood BUT you dance with the 'gal you brung'. I'm sure my 'plain jane' will do me proud. Homesteader

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My 9.3x62 is a rebored Interarms Mark X mannlicher with a 20" barrel. It is the big brother of a 7x57 and if I ever get to Africa again, I hope to bring them with me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a Ruger fan and own several. When I was looking for a 9.3, Ruger African's were hard to find. In finally settled on a CZ 550 American with a beefy Kevlar B&C stock. The rifle is well balanced and love this rifle, including the set trigger. That said, I'm sure I would be equally satisfied with the Ruger.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.