Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Someone, (I won't name names but his initials are Deflave) needs to come out with a bonded GFY boat tail.

"I girdle punched her with a resounding thump. GFY @ 3,150."

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Sh1t, let's get real.

Acronyms don't kill big furry critters, bullets do.

The (horrible and totally dishonoured) cup-and-core Hornady Interlockeds and Nosler Ballistics kill like crazy in the standard cartridges that most of us use.

Hey, .25-'06 (my personal favorite), .270 LBTGQ community, .280 Ackley, .30-'06, .338-'06 ... they kill just fine and dandy.

No extra capital letters and dip-shyt acronyms needed to make them kill any better. Just drop the crosshair on fur and they're dead-dead-dead.

May God Bless You,

Steve

Some like the extra reach the VLD offers. wink

Originally Posted by Kaleb
Yea alphabet soup bullets can't hang with accubonds and Btips for accuracy.

Yup.

NBTs and NABs dominate LR competitions. grin

There is no way a VLD could hang with those bullets, much less a good ol interlok or Corelokt.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd say I prefer to use boat tail bullets wherever I can, except of course where they just aren't applicable. If for no other reason than they're easier to get started in the case mouth. smile

Thanks to all, the thread answered my questions on how to get them to shoot.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just checked my loading notes.

It turns out that the ONLY problem I've had with getting Nosler AccuBond Long Range bullets to shoot accurately was with one of the two .270's I've tried them in. (The other .270 started shooting them into little groups right away.) That's one out of half a dozen rifles, using ABLR's from 6.5mm to .30 caliber.

Might try to get them to shoot in the uncooperative .270, and might not. It shoots really well with a bunch of other bullets, including Hornady Interlocks, Nosler Partitions and (guess what?) the new Berger 170-grain Elite Hunter. And I've killed enough big game with various Bergers to know they work fine too.

Have other projects that deserve more attention, so probably won't try six different powders and seating depths to try to get the ABLR's to shoot well in the single rifle I've encountered so far that apparently doesn't like them much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Second the mule deers remarks on the FTX , I cannot believe how well they shoot! And harvest game! Use them in the 30 30, 300 savage, 32 win spec,35 Remington and the 45 70

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/23/17.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Friends,

Sorry for the rant last evening grin

Let me explain. I haven't been on the 24HCF for many moons (callouts cease participation greatly), but the Alphabet Soup Boolit thread caught my eye.

And it reminded me of the many, many "new and improved" shooting products that I've seen and used for the last sixty-some years of shooting and killing furry critters.

Let me see, when I was a kid, your rifle would instantly rust to death if you didn't use WD-40 (turned out to be a decent product). Then, there was the white gunk you treated your barrel with that made your bullets go faster (not a good product). And later, you had to cryo your barrel or it wouldn't shoot worth spit (very questionable). And moly (don't get me started on that one).

ABSOLUTELY, there were fabulous new products; Hornady Interlocked bullets, Nosler Partitons and Ballistics, to name a few. And synthetic stocks, and stainless steel custom barrels. Truly, we live in a Golden Age of superb shooting stuff.

BUT, there is also the tendency for manufacturers to promote their new stuff as better than the old stuff. Sometimes that is true and sometimes it is not.

Funny story, several years ago, I was hunting antelope with Pat Sinclair (ScenarShooter) on the Hougen Ranch out of Melstone, Montana. We found a really great buck feeding smack in the middle of a HUGE open wash.

Pat ranged him at 300 yards. The problem was that we had about a 30mph wind dead from our left. I was shooting my favourite .280 Ackley with 140Ballistics at 3,150fps.

I declined to take the shot. I'm a decent shot, but the risk of wounding a magnificent antelope was just to high.

As it turned out, he eventually spooked and ran over a hill. Prolly twenty minutes later I killed a really bonzo buck antelope maybe a half mile from the original shot opportunity. At 200 yards and no wind ... no way to know, but I've always thought he was the SAME BUCK ... prolly was.

If I'd been shooting one of the new Alphabet "Slick" bullets and had less hunting experience, I might have been suckered into taking the original shot. I dunno.

Anyway, there has always been good stuff and there's always been new stuff and sometimes the new stuff turns out to be better ... and sometimes it just slinks back into obscurity.

Time always tells.

Just passing through; see you guys later.

Blessings,

Steve

PS. Here's the buck Pat and I killed together. By the way, Pat is the real deal, an incredible hunter and a fine, fine man. A friend.

[Linked Image]

I like your rant. Those sleek new bullets are here to stay, I'm sure, but the old guns and old bullets still get er done for me. We'll let the young bucks use those high BC pills while they are learning to shoot. They need all the help they can get.... wink. Pass the pre 64 and Winchester powerpoints.....

[Linked Image]

Hell, pass me a non pre 64 model 70 and powerpoints. I don't care whistle :
[Linked Image]

Same load: 2 different rifles... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hanco
I always start with factory length, it it shoots sub MOA, I'm happy.

Same here.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 60 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.