Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
After 38 years of reaching across the gun and shooting right handed bolts, Ive decided to make the leap and purchase 3 or so left handed bolts. Im looking at the stainless Ruger american, the price is spot on, wondering about the quality and accuracy. My normal go to rifle manufacture is Savage, but at a couple hundred per gun, I thought the rugers were worth a look.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger American rifles are good rifles for the money. It's rare anyone complains about theirs. Some have magazine issues, but Ruger has been taking care of that. The bolt has a kind of funny feel and sound when you work it, but it functions as designed. That's about the only gripes an those are minor. Most are very accurate. One of the best values out there.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I dont think you will be disappointed in accuracy. Action can be a little rough but cleans up easily with use or polishing. I never had a blued one but the finish and metal work on the stainless is good. Some complain about the stock but the dimensions are good and it works.

Its really a ton of gun for the money

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have two All Weather rifles, one in 223 and one in 243. Both were sub moa (3 shots) right out of the box. A lot of times way under moa. All I've done is lighten the triggers down as far as they will go, 3#, mount scopes and shoot. The comb is a little low, in my opinion, so I'm using the Ruger lace on cheek piece on both rifles. I compared the Tikka T3 and the American at a local shop. The bolt was smoother on the Tikka but I didn't like the squared off bottom on the stock, plus the magazine sticks down below the stock. The American felt better in my hands. I am not wild about the tongue sticking out of the trigger but I don't notice it much now. It's a lot of gun for the money. I'm not a big Savage fan after owning one. Ugly as sin and wouldn't shoot very well and it was a heavy barrel 223. Never again.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I just bought my second left hand American rifle. My .22-250 had feeding issues from the start. I called Ruger and they sent me a new mag free, even without me sending in the old mag. I think the issue was that they used a .243/.308 mag on the .22-250 and the .22-250 cartridge is a good bit shorter than the others. My .223 feeds perfectly. Both triggers are clean, but were a bit heavy out of the box. I snipped one coil off the trigger spring on the .22-250 and got a good 3# trigger. The .223 took a bit more work. Clipping one coil got it down to 4# and I turned the adjustment screw out about3/4 turn to get 3#. Accuracy is good. I did have to remove a bit off the left side of the stock at the forend .

My son has a right hand Predator in 6.5 CM. The last 3 shot group I shot with factory 129 Interlocks measured .418 CTC.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sample of 1 here, but I was quite pleased with a blued .308 Win. Handled and pointed well, and shot Federal Blue Box 150's moa. You won't mistake it for a Blaser or a Sako, but it'll put bullets where you want them to go.

For the $449 the local stores ask for 'em, I'd call it a really good value. For the $250 I actually gave for it NIB on Gunbroker, I was far more than pleased.

If you're looking to indulge a whim, it's pretty hard to go wrong at those prices.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a compact in 223 that I put a full size factory stock on. If the Ranch rifle had been available at the time I'd have bought it. My brother has the Ranch in 5.56. I've shot both with both 223 and 5.56 ammo. With decent ammo both consistently shoot well under 1". Cheap FMJ will be closer to 2".

I also have a Predator in 308 and my brother in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both are extremely accurate. My Predator in 308 is the most accurate rifle I own.

I did have issues with the original magazine in the 223, but Ruger sent me a new one. It and the 2 spares work perfectly. I also have 3 mags for the 308, never a bobble.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm seriously eyeballing one of these in 450 Bushmaster. Perfect gun for hunting in restricted zones in some states. I'm glad someone is building a quality bolt rifle that is chambered for a cartridge that addresses this issue. Tired of only having half assed shot guns, muzzle loaders and over grown pistols to choose from. Thank you Ruger. I may even forgive you for those piss poor 44 Mag carbines you built before.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
good barrel, decent low-cost action that works, good simple bedding in a complete piece of s** floppy stock. trigger feels cheap beyond cheap.

very accurate, typically more so than a hawkeye.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the Ruger American .30-06 Dad gave me before he passed was a disappointment,=. I tried about 8 different factory loads in it and none of them shot acceptably - groups were 2-3" at 100 yards.

Finally sold the American and another rifle and bought a Hawkeye. No regrets at all.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/22/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a sampling of one in .300 BLK. Neat little rifle and the accuracy is pretty good if I'm doing a decent job of pulling the trigger. I might get a different scope for it as I don't like the reticle in the one I have that much, but it'll get the job done at the ranges the .300 BLK is designed to shoot.

Here is a link to my rifle. I've only taken it out to 300 yards with factory ammunition but it seems to do well. The stock isn't all that great, but it is functional.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd pick the Ruger over the Savage 10 times out of 10. And the savage is a decent gun.

I like those RAR's quite a bit.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
good barrel, decent low-cost action that works, good simple bedding in a complete piece of s** floppy stock. trigger feels cheap beyond cheap.

very accurate, typically more so than a hawkeye.

Actually I was able to fix the trigger on my .223 American to be very acceptable, and I'm REALLY picky about my triggers. There's a fix for them and it works, it's now about 2.5 lbs. with absolutely no creep. You need to shorten the spring from the factory length. From the factory the trigger's terrible just like most rifles, but they can be fixed easily at home.

Ruger American Trigger Fix

I wanted a 223 that was stainless, cheap, light, accurate, and twisted right. The american was the only thing that fit the bill out there, otherwise I was going to have to build it and there went the cheap part. It shoots very well and gets used all the time. I have steel gongs hung in the distance on my land and the ruger gets shot off the porch at them. It's super easy to grab it, walk out on the porch, and bang away at the gongs. I have it set up similar to my big game rifles and it makes for a great practice rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A word about the stocks. The original rifles were pretty flexible in the forend. The 1st photo is of my 223 Compact stock. I later ordered a full length stock from Ruger @ about $80 and it is the newer design and much more rigid.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The old stocks shot just fine, but often needed a generous free float to prevent the barrel from touching the stock. The new stock is rigid enough to not be an issue.

The action never touches any part of the plastic stock. You can see the metal "V" block on the left of the photos. While the stock is cheap, the bedding design prevents it from being a negative.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That photo nicely illustrates the changes Ruger made in the American stock. Thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I'm thinking about stopping reaching over the stock too. Might get a LH Americanl

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Being left-handed, your options are limited, but even so, the RAR is a good choice lefty or righty. I have several RAR-Predators and all except the 22-250 have proven themselves capable of shooting groups MOA or better, but I'm still working on the 22-250.

CDNN currently has left-handed RARs in a few different calibers on sale.

www.cdnnsports.com

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys!! Now I have to make a trip to Shydas and see how one feels.

Yep Mike, I sat down the other day, took a hard look at all my rifles, I used to think I would have to change them all out, but after careful consideration I realized that if I picked up 3 possibly 4 lefties it would cover all my big game hunting needs. So in the next few months Ill be picking up a 7mm-08, 270 WSM and either a 284 or 7WSM heck maybe both, the 284 in a lefty bolt is probably going to have to be blued, unless I make it myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shydas? Funny. I've been shopping there my whole life. Small world. I do prefer Encks Gun Barn now that they got the new shop.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Now if Ruger would just lengthen the .223 magazine

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
803 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,108 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.