Print Thread
Hop To
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I am thinking about adding a SOL Bivy, either the emergency bivy or the escape bivy. any one ever use on in the cold? With all my layers on would I likely make it overnight? Would the condensation just wet out my insulation?

This last weekend I was on a long back country XC ski and I was thinking about surviving a day or so with a broken ankle on one of my trips and as conditions are pretty similar to what many of us might have on a late season hunt I thought I would ask here if anyone has used one. Would it be useful to survive a night thats 20-30F with snow?

Typically I am wearing a whipcord or fleece softshell pants, long sleeve long john top, 100wt fleece top and a nylon anorak. I usually wear a fleece ball cap with ear flaps and fleece windstopper gloves.

I carry a fleece balancava, primaloft jacket , eVent overmitts and a small foam pad I can sit or if careful lay on and a 4x8 silnylon tarp.

I have thought about ditching the tarp and carrying one of the SOL bivy's figuring it would likely be as good a windbreak and might help retain more body heat.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
noKnees:

It's hard to beat a Silnylon tarp for an emergency bivvy if you fold it over like a taco and tie a few grommets together. That makes a great bivvy and it has lots of other uses.

Thanks for mentioning the SOL Bivvy. I've seen them on the store shelves and they look flimsy. They might be single-use items. I wonder if they would actually make it through a night intact. However, looks can be deceiving. I'm going to be watching the thread to see what actual uses have to say.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
There cheap so I was thinking single use just for emergency use. Add to my pack for cross country back country skiing, hunting the Adirondacks and fall to spring hiking.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought the heavier SOL emergency blanket last year thinking it might do double duty as a tarp to keep the boned out meat clean. Shot a large cow and found out the reflective properties of the fabric really work. The meat wouldn't cool at all sitting on the blanket. It suffered enough damage that I won't use it again for that purpose anyway. I think it would be nice to have in a cold emergency situation but can't say exactly how it would perform.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used both standard bivies and ponchos for overnighting on cold nights with no bag.
Make sure you have a some sort of foam pad to sleep on. A 5/16's Ensolite will work, but it isn't very comfortable. So perhaps something thicker ?
Extra socks are nice to use. But, above all, carry at least four tear open chemical, 8 hour, hand warmers. Put on both pairs of socks and put one between them. I put one in each side pocket of my pants. And one in my chest pocket.
As long as you are zipped in tight, moisture shouldn't be a problem at least where I've done this. Note, I haven't tried this during a wet, freezing rain.
A warm cap and good, warm gloves are a mustr as well. E

IC B2

N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I bought one of the SOL emergency Bivys and am going to give it a test in a couple of days.

Its pretty small, but I doubt I could repack it that small again after use so it will be a $13 test.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd be interested to hear how you do your test and your results. Personally, I'd be hesitant to use anything that can be described as "flimsy" (KC's observation) for an emergency shelter. Here's an interesting take on emergency shelters:

http://outdoorsafe.com/2012/05/23/emergency-shelters/

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have used the SOL space blanket and buddy used the bivy in the same conditions. He was not impressed. Condensation was an issue - wetted out his insulation, and he was up stomping around trying to get warm most of the night. Until it started to wet out, he was warm though. The reflective stuff does work, even a space blanket is much better than nothing. SOL makes a breathable bivy, which we both now have, but have not tested.

I'd not give up the tarp. Too versatile and staying dry is key. Have spent several nights under that $8 walmart tarp with all my layers on. I'm not saying it was comfortable, but I'm still here.

[Linked Image]

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by noKnees
I bought one of the SOL emergency Bivys and am going to give it a test in a couple of days.

Its pretty small, but I doubt I could repack it that small again after use so it will be a $13 test.

I bought one also. It still looks kind of flimsy.

I'm also interested in your observations after actually using an SOL bivvy bag. Please report your test results.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
look at their new SOL Escape bivy- definitely not a single use and this bivy actually breathes

I use in conjunction w/ a very light Apex quilt, short section of ccf pad and a small sil tarp- all easily fit in an 30-ish liter day pack or hunting pack

I've spent a few nights out with this kit and while not overly comfy- it's kept me quite alive smile

from the thread on an unexpected night out

Originally Posted by mtwarden
Along with the "normal" bits- robust fire kit, first aid, repair stuff, good headlamp/spare batteries, nav items (compass, map, gps)- the stuff that's going to really help me get through an unplanned night out- are:

extra clothing- a good insulating jacket (w/ hood!)- temp/weather dependent on which one, but I like synthetic due to it's ability to handle wet better (than down), particularly Polartec Alpha and Climashield; a fleece balaclava; fleece mitts; spare wool socks and a good shell jacket (again hooded)

sleep system- this won't make for an overly comfortable night in really cold conditions, but will keep me alive smile

diy climashield quilt- climashield 3.6, quilt weight 15-ish oz
SOL bivy- this is their newer one and actually breathes 8-ish oz
ccf pad scored to fold up (like a z-pad) 4-ish oz
5x8 sil tarp 8-ish oz

relatively light and very low volume, easily all fit into a 20-ish liter daypack

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.