Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Been contributing to pre tax IRAs for 20 years. Roth IRAs almost as long. Kept track of every penny in (pre and post tax). Incrementally increased contributions through the years as we got raises, payed off house, property, got kids through school etc..... . When available using Vanguard index funds. Where not we pick similar products, low cost index.

This past Dec 31st I did my usual look see and figuring. We have now more than doubled the amount invested. All invested money has gone in monthly, Work IRAs and Roth. Company matching contributions have also helped I'm sure. These though have significantly decreased through the years.

Now some I hear say have done better actively trading and watching frequently. That's great. I pay little attention, just set it and forget it. Haven't missed a dime of what we put in over the years. It's been no burden. Barring anything truly catastrophic retirement should be quite comfortable.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ring3
. . . I pay little attention, just set it and forget it. Haven't missed a dime of what we put in over the years. It's been no burden. Barring anything truly catastrophic retirement should be quite comfortable.

How much did your portfolio go down back in 2007-2009?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Making a little money now

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
. . . I pay little attention, just set it and forget it. Haven't missed a dime of what we put in over the years. It's been no burden. Barring anything truly catastrophic retirement should be quite comfortable.

Just guessing here, but likely no where near how it has risen since. Folks that rode it did very, very well. wink Some that got out and back in timely even better... Dummies that panicked and sold low, not so much.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Depends on Yellen....as goes Jan so goes the year. grin

Nice one!

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Mine went up. I was short.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Mine went up. I was short.

smart!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EdM

Just guessing here, but likely no where near how it has risen since. Folks that rode it did very, very well. wink Some that got out and back in timely even better... Dummies that panicked and sold low, not so much.

For those that were buying in that time frame did really well. Don't believe check out these two that did wonders for me, HIG and C. But there were many others that did as well or better in that time frame. I try to position myself to buy in those depressed times. I hold in markets like we are in now. I don't time the market, but I time my executions. But its not just timing, its picking solid companies that actually have a solid history.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As soon as the FED starts a trend of tightening to make up for all their artificial liquidity stimulus over the last 8 years.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 65BR
Who wants to guess when it pops and how low it goes?

I've been converting mutual funds into cash for when the market drops. No one can predict when it will, but I want to buy Berkshire Hathaway (B shares) when it does. Unfortunately, I've been watching it since it crossed $120 3 years ago. It just seems to keep going up.

I bought 6 shares Berkshire Hathaway in 1966 for $21 a share and sold it 6 months later at $29 - today, these shares (A shares) sell for $250,000/share. If hindsight was easy, I'd be happier!

IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Indeed. Yes, 254,900 ......like most all equities, when the market makes a big pullback......so too shall BRK.

WB has made many wealthy no doubt.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.