Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by byc
I actually believe her and thnk the reason for the ad was free press/marketing and several hundred+ jobs they need filled. In fact, I'm almost convinced Budweiser did the same. How many times have you heard the name Budweiser in the past few weeks? A TON!!

If the old adage that there's no such thing as bad press then both accomplished their goals!! This very well could be reverse selling.

As for 84 the employment URL is right on the same page as both ads. Also, read up on who her Dad who left her the company.

David, is you a lowyer perchance? Thet rain runnin down ma neck smells lak pizz. wink

HA! No sir! Just an overly paid REDSKIN!!

Is you a Redskin perchance? Redkins ain't got no collared shirts, which wud 'splain yo' pizz consternation!! wink

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think we all should boycott everything including air a water. I will not use that lumber store...

...even if we had any.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Scott F
I think we all should boycott everything including air a water. I will not use that lumber store...

...even if we had any.

Nice to have you "a board" sir. And it aint no 84 board, either. grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Scott F

...even if we had any.

Nice to have you "a board" sir. And it aint no 84 board, either. grin

laugh laugh laugh Good one, you nailed it.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First, 84 lumber is a privately owned company. As such they don't answer to stockholders. Second they are based in rural Trump country, and if they responded any other way they wouldn't be able to drive down the road. Next, their resort, Nemacolin, hires a large percentage of immigrants, which I can say they make a concentrated effort to ensure are documented. Part of this resort is a first class sporting clay facility along with a shooting preserve which caters mostly to those who just want to shoot a Pheasant. The preserve used to be run by a great guy, who has since had health issues. Not sure what is going on with it presently.

Didn't get to see the commercial, so I can't comment on its content, but from the sounds of the comments here, it may be a fair bet to say they wouldn't have gone there if they had it to do over.

Addition: may be up that way soon and it will be interesting to see the local reaction. Joe is a local celebraty.

Last edited by battue; 02/07/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good for her

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had a substaintial order of 4x4s we use for signage in our commercial real estate office placed late last week with 84. We buy in bulk and have them delivered to our sign company. I was in the owners office yesterday when he was cancelling the order and closing our account with 84. He politely let them know why.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The full commercial didn't play during the superbowl because it is over 5 minutes long. I think they were trying to get people to go to their website and see the whole commercial.

At the end the mother and daughter get to the wall and are discouraged. But discover there is a door in the wall for LEGAL immigration.

It appears to be very bad public relations, but if the entire commercial is seen and the real meaning revealed I don't have a problem with it. I've never had a problem with LEGAL immigrants who want to come here, work and make this a better place. I have no problems with a wall to keep out ILLEGAL immigrants.

The whole commercial. If you don't care to see the journey the last minute is enough to get the intended message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPo2B-vjZ28

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
The full commercial didn't play during the superbowl because it is over 5 minutes long. I think they were trying to get people to go to their website and see the whole commercial.

At the end the mother and daughter get to the wall and are discouraged. But discover there is a door in the wall for LEGAL immigration.

It appears to be very bad public relations, but if the entire commercial is seen and the real meaning revealed I don't have a problem with it. I've never had a problem with LEGAL immigrants who want to come here, work and make this a better place. I have no problems with a wall to keep out ILLEGAL immigrants.

The whole commercial. If you don't care to see the journey the last minute is enough to get the intended message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPo2B-vjZ28

I'm just not convinced.

Perhaps if the owner of 84 Lumber would show us her campaign donations to defeat Hillary on any level, I would be.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The whole 84 Lumber video

The reality of what the video does not show is the thousands and thousands of Mexicans lined up in front of that big door in the wall, patiently waiting to be legally processed, and this illegal mother and daughter sneak to the front of the line and slip into the country ahead of all the decent people who have been in line, waiting for years. Yeah, the 84 Lumber owner is pro Trump alright . . . she showed the big beautiful wall with the big door swinging open, and not another person in sight! Just the way Trump explained it for the past two years. wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have had my marketing dept work up an ad with several generations of parents and kids building a sheds or decks promoting passing on working with your hands creating something together with pride.
These companies wading into politics and divisive issues are making a big mistake in my humble opinion. Especially if its unsolicited. Smart marketing isnt alienating 50% of the public either way you side for no good reason. Besides if 84 Lumber is primarily a wholesale operation ,Superbowl ads arent necessarily money well spent. Im not infering that she is stupid but more so there was another motivation other than selling sticks. More of a ego trip for the owner and marketing folks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I would have had my marketing dept work up an ad with several generations of parents and kids building a sheds or decks promoting passing on working with your hands creating something together with pride.
These companies wading into politics and divisive issues are making a big mistake in my humble opinion. Especially if its unsolicited. Smart marketing isnt alienating 50% of the public either way you side for no good reason. Besides if 84 Lumber is primarily a wholesale operation ,Superbowl ads arent necessarily money well spent. Im not infering that she is stupid but more so there was another motivation other than selling sticks. More of a ego trip for the owner and marketing folks.

Controversy equals lots of attention.

Can't say they didn't get that...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It was a stupid ad as most were. The super bowl is entertainment it sucks that its being used to advance a political agenda.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your in hollywood attention is great. But if your sellin sticks and bricks I doubt this knd of attention is a good thing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Watched it again and I can't say the ad is promoting one view or another. It's clear as mud...which might be the point.

I do like "The will to succeed is always welcome here" at the end. Just wish it was clearly promoting that as legal immigrants with a work ethic ready to put it to use and succeed are welcome.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Joe has a shooting tournament coming again in June for the 17th time. $40,0000 in prize money is up for grabs. The Hardy Classic. He will probably lose money on the event, or at best break even.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If they knew they wanted to communicate a message celebrating legal immigration, then they certainly could have come up with a commercial that clearly indicated that.

They didn't, because they didn't want to.

I don't support a lumber store that takes its limited commercial time and spends it on a political message. Sell me lumber, not your political stance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Used to go to them when I got tired of crooked, knotty lumber and was willing to pay a little more.

Guess I'll just stick with the crooked chit in the future.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.