Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
'Establish a breeding population'.... on a planet 40 light years away???

If you leave here at age 30 + travel time, they will be how old????

With food and fuel for 40 years, if you travel at light speed???

To date the fastest manned space travel was less than 7 miles per second....

Unless we put them to sleep, which we can't do yet...

And that's if the first planet they get to looks good.

And that's if these planets are still there when they get there........... the most recent picture is 40 years old.

We can do amzing things, and maybe one day, but not soon.....IMHO

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc
I actually believe these are God's backup planets when he or we punch the red button on this one.
And that might not be too far off based on the way folks are tracking.

But they may be the planets god already pressed the red button on.

Yet god can perfectly restore planet earth in a nano second, so why bother with the other planets?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
I actually believe these are God's backup planets when he or we punch the red button on this one. And that might not be too far off based on the way folks are tracking.

BTW forget us getting there. What if "they" get here first!?

God in his infinite wisdom has a back up plan ? Scary for sure if they're anything like us as we've pretty much screwed the pooch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God doesn't have a backup plan. He has a FINAL plan and he won't be leaving it with men in charge. He's be running it personally. There will be no screwups.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by SandBilly

The system is just 40 light-years away. On a cosmic scale, that’s right next door. Of course, practically speaking, it would still take us hundreds of millions of years to get there with today’s technology
You'd only need to travel at half the speed of light to get there in eighty years. Seems within our technological ability, but it would require a multi-generational journey, unless we can figure out suspended animation.

"WE" getting there the first time will most obviously be not actual people. Probes will be sent first, and very likely the first probes will be passed by faster models before the first sent arrives.

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by byc
I actually believe these are God's backup planets when he or we punch the red button on this one.
And that might not be too far off based on the way folks are tracking.

But they may be the planets god already pressed the red button on.

Yet god can perfectly restore planet earth in a nano second, so why bother with the other planets?

Yup. That's the other side of my theory!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
what is an Urth like planet?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Three of the planets lie in the star’s habitable zone."

Scientists have known for a long time that there are many planets in some stars habitable zones. They have estimated that there are hundreds of thousands in the Milky Way alone based on the ones they can see. They don't any way to tell if there's water on those planets yet.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
God doesn't have a backup plan. He has a FINAL plan and he won't be leaving it with men in charge. He's be running it personally. There will be no screwups.

What's he waiting for?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Bible says it will come like a thief in the night, quickly and unexpected. God doesn't get in a hurry. He gave the Canaanites 500 years to clean up their act before he sent in the Hebrews to destroy them. If the Hebrews hadn't quit before the job was done, many of the problems in the middle east today wouldn't be happening.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
If we had sent voyager towards these rocky planets, how many more years would it be before it arrived?...

We will never visit planets around other stars unless some totally unanticipated means of propulsion shows up.

I agree and disagree...we will figure out a way, one way or another, it's what we do. Mankind is in its infancy technology wise...we've only had radio transmissions for about a hundred years and have only had powered flight for about the same length of time...here we are, 100 or so years later. We've landed on the moon and came home, we've landed on Mars and are remotely operating solar powered "rovers" there from "Urth", where they're taking soil samples, pictures, etc. and sending the results back home...We've flown past, orbited and taken pictures of every planet and their moons...all in the past hundred years....the blink of an eye time wise. Looking and reading at some of the future technologies now under research and development, boggles the mind.

By the time we figure out how to get something to a planet 40 light years away and buy the time said thing gets there, mankind will be long gone from this planet.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What if those planets don't have processed foods and GMO? Every female looks like a Swedish bikini model and hunting truly exotic game is a sign of manhood.....and there's no blacks or diaper heads.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forty light years away! Could be they self destructed 39 years ago and we simply don't know about it yet.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
He gave the Canaanites 500 years to clean up their act before he sent in the Hebrews to destroy them. If the Hebrews hadn't quit before the job was done, many of the problems in the middle east today wouldn't be happening.

Good help is hard to find.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
We don't even know WTF all lives on this planet yet these people think they can guess what's on a planet that's 40 light years away?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
If we had sent voyager towards these rocky planets, how many more years would it be before it arrived?...

Several hundred thousand years at best.

We will never visit planets around other stars unless some totally unanticipated means of propulsion shows up.

Don't they have Hyper Drive like in the movies? grin

We need the Star Ship Enterprise, Kirk at the helm. "Give it all ya got Mr. Scott"

GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Earth 1st---We'll mine the rest later.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by SandBilly

The system is just 40 light-years away. On a cosmic scale, that’s right next door. Of course, practically speaking, it would still take us hundreds of millions of years to get there with today’s technology
You'd only need to travel at half the speed of light to get there in eighty years. Seems within our technological ability, but it would require a multi-generational journey, unless we can figure out suspended animation.

Seeing as .5 C = 93,000 miles/second. And 1 G acceleration is 32 ft/sec/sec. I get about six months of constant 1 G acceleration to reach target velocity. And, of course, another six months to decelerate. (Folks, please feel free to check my math. And correct me if I made a mistake.)

That seems doable.

Except for that pesky E=mv2 thing. Where the energy required to accelerate increases exponentially with speed. Coupled with the problem, that the mass of your fuel to accelerate and decelerate must also be accelerated.

A multi-generational craft capable of interstellar flight measured in decades and unsupported colonization would have to be comparable to a modern day US aircraft carrier in size.

I can not comprehend the amount of fuel it would take to hold such a craft to a year of 1 G acceleration.

It would require fleets and fleets of equivalently sized tankers to accompany the vessel.

I wonder if that amount of hydrogen and oxygen could be extracted from this planet.

Youre assuming conventional rocket fuel. What about nuclear? Alternatively solar wind power.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If their are more Urf like planets, does that mean that there are also more Gus(s) out there? eek wink

Last edited by 340boy; 02/23/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Forty years and a handful of blue pills - yahoo!
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.