Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking about a Subaru Forester or other SUV for hunting ect. Want something with room to sleep in when needed? Any ideas about what is a good SUV that is mid 25,000?

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Subaru's are to small to sleep in!

Last edited by Heym06; 02/22/17.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Heym06
Subaru's are to small to sleep in!

what he said

Ted
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I figured unless I was 4 feet tall? Hmmm???

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hope Good Life has better roads than the ones I use to go hunting lol.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You must hunt in some mighty smooth country if a Suburu would do it. There could be nothing smaller than a Suburban for me and I'm a small guy. I just like plenty of room .

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
...what is a good SUV that is mid 25,000?

A used 4-Runner 4x4 or equivalent.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I'd personally rather just take up golf if it came to that, but a Subaru wagon is tough to beat for a "practical" vehicle.

My vote is pickup with a camper shell. That's how I frequently roll if/when I sleep at my rig.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can just barely get a twin mattress in the back of an 84 Ford Bronco when u take the backseat out. I left it in there the entire summer. smile

Last edited by bubbajay; 02/22/17.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had thought about an old Bronco?

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Esox357:

A Subaru Forester is a poor excuse for an SUV. Very little ground clearance. The bed is too small. In fact everything about it is too small.

The Jeep Cherokee and the Toyota Forerunner are both better alternatives.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thinking about a Subaru Forester or other SUV for hunting ect. Want something with room to sleep in when needed? Any ideas about what is a good SUV that is mid 25,000?
Most of the stuff being sold under the SUV label today are what were termed "crossovers" a few years back. You can ask Doc Rocket about Foresters because I think he had or has one. They look more like a station wagon to me.

I've owned several real SUV's. You either are leaving out some of your needs or they are few. If you go Bronco, you are either talking about something really limited, because they are really old, or one of the new ones. I've not heard what price the new ones will be or when for sure, they will be out. I doubt there will be any in your price range though.

Ford's mid-size Explorer series, before they went crossover, would be a good choice. I'd say you could get a loaded one, several years old with very low miles for well within your price range. Either the 6 or 8 cylinders will get 20 mpg on the road. The 8 will drop off sharply in the city. The 6, not so much. The 8 is a lot snappier. The 6 is adequate. They ain't something for competitive four wheeling but should go through stuff that would stick a two wheel drive post-haste.

If you go full-size, a Yukon/Tahoe, is a great option. The ones I've owned will be akin to the 8 cylinder Explorer. They have lots more room than the Explorer. If gas was not a big deal, I'd go with one of these. They also are not as maneuverable or easy to park as the smaller Ford, but it's a tradeoff. You'll have to buy a used one but a good low-mileage version should be available for what you want to spend.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The old Bronco's will eat your lunch on mileage too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All new aluminum body 2018 Ford Expedition, due in dealer showrooms this fall. Available in both regular and Max extra long versions.

[Linked Image]

2018 Ford Expedition

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Nowadays many of the small to mid size 'Crossover' SUV class vehicles advertised as AWD (all wheel drive) do not have a select-able transfer case with a low gear.

Moot point if you're OK with a hunting vehicle without a low range 4 wheel drive gear.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You need a suburban

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Subaru Forester gets high ratings for function, comfort and reliability. It also has one of the best AWD systems of anything in the mid $25,000 price range. If you move the front seats forward and tilt them forward, and then fold down the back seats you may be able to sleep in it, depending on your size. You should be able to check that out right in the showroom.

If you expect to go off-road one thing to be aware of is that many of the newer vehicles use a fuel air sensor and an oxygen sensor, usually two pairs of them even in 4-cylinder engines in order to tightly control the lean fuel air mixture needed to pass EPA regulations. There are two problems; first the fuel air sensor uses a heating element to maintain working temperature, and some oxygen sensors also use such elements. The reliability of element heated sensors is not that great and they crap out without warning. The second problem is that once any of these sensors craps out you get an engine check light, and the engine management computer reverts to running the engine in open loop mode (no feedback). While that keeps the engine running, the resulting rich fuel air mixture can damage expensive catalytic converters, so to motivate you not to drive any more than necessary, the computer disables cruise control and AWD, at least on some Toyota models.

If you get far enough off road to need AWD you're only one burnt out sensor away from being stranded in back country. I'm thinking Subaru's AWD is mostly mechanical and hopefully they are not as stupid as Toyota in disabling AWD to motivate drives to get the problem fixed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by walt501
All new aluminum body 2018 Ford Expedition, due in dealer showrooms this fall. Available in both regular and Max extra long versions.

[Linked Image]

2018 Ford Expedition

You clearly missed his price range.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iddave
I'd personally rather just take up golf if it came to that, but a Subaru wagon is tough to beat for a "practical" vehicle.

My vote is pickup with a camper shell. That's how I frequently roll if/when I sleep at my rig.

Dave

This. Get an extended or quad cab with at least a 6.5' bed, put a shell on it, and you're miles ahead.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
for hunting? I have pulled several of mud and deep sand in the Osceola and Ocala National Forests. They are NOT 4X4
Also, if you buy a used one, it will take a few days to scrape off all the liberal stickers plastered all over it.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (2UP, 1eyedmule, 44mc, 35, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,322 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,272
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.