Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11837970 02/19/17
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
After going through several daypacks I've finally landed on the one that makes me happy.

Kifaru Tahr at 3400 CI with a large and small pocket attached to the front.

Simple, easy access, load shelf, perfectly sized for a heavy day load full of glassing and shooting gear. A top loader with a folding collar is my favorite access in a bag this size.

Most of my hunting consists of walking in every morning before sun up and walking out at dark. The rifle will ride on the pack in travel mode but a Kifaru Gun Bearer rides on the belt right side when in hunt mode. Left side belt holds a rangefinder pouch and water bottle.

Large pouch - Liner gloves, outer gloves, liner beanie, outer beanie, two way radio.

Small pouch - Headlamp, knife, cell phone, chapstick.

Main bag from bottom to top - game bag, rain gear, pack rain cover, glassing mitts, puffy hoodie, puffy vest, hard shell (yes I overdo it), glassing butt pad, rear shooting bag (bipod is mounted to rifle), 15x56 binos, spotting scope, 8x32 binos (which get moved to Kuiu harness when on the hill) 2nd water bottle, small possible bag, food.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Looks like a really nice pack. Does that one have a pouch for a bladder? I've gotten to where I prefer a chest pack like the HPG kit bag for the stuff I want to get to without taking the pack off like headlamp, knife, GPS, map, pistol, snacks, beanie, etc.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
It does not have a bladder pouch but it does have a hanger/attachment point specifically for a bladder. That said, I'm a bottle man.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I like that......I have a Kifaru Mountain Rambler setup pretty much the same way, just the right size, I also wouldn't mine having a Cargo Panel with 3-4 pouches for a little lighter setup!

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by ctsmith
After going through several daypacks I've finally landed on the one that makes me happy.

Kifaru Tahr at 3400 CI with a large and small pocket attached to the front.

Simple, easy access, load shelf, perfectly sized for a heavy day load full of glassing and shooting gear. A top loader with a folding collar is my favorite access in a bag this size.

Most of my hunting consists of walking in every morning before sun up and walking out at dark. The rifle will ride on the pack in travel mode but a Kifaru Gun Bearer rides on the belt right side when in hunt mode. Left side belt holds a rangefinder pouch and water bottle.

Large pouch - Liner gloves, outer gloves, liner beanie, outer beanie, two way radio.

Small pouch - Headlamp, knife, cell phone, chapstick.

Main bag from bottom to top - game bag, rain gear, pack rain cover, glassing mitts, puffy hoodie, puffy vest, hard shell (yes I overdo it), glassing butt pad, rear shooting bag (bipod is mounted to rifle), 15x56 binos, spotting scope, 8x32 binos (which get moved to Kuiu harness when on the hill) 2nd water bottle, small possible bag, food.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Are you using a guide lid?

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Not using the guide lid, though I did try it instead of the pouches. I found the pouches to be more convenient, but could easily run the guide lid instead.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's pics of the guide lid. There are dedicated sewn in straps on the pack specifically for the guide lid, however, with a short load the straps would slide down the sides of the pack causing the guide lid to slide down and not ride on the top. I fixed it by attaching the guide lid directly to the plastic common loops on the load lifter attachment point, locking it in place with quick clips.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Is that a manfrotto 290 tripod with outdoorsman head? If it is do you like the tripod?

Dink

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Dink, yes thats the Manfrotto 290. As you can see, its not a compact, and at 54 oz for the tripod only, its not a lightweight either. But for dayhunt who cares? I will gladly sacrifice the size and weight for the stability, which is solid as a rock. Even when fully extended and glassing standing up in strong wind its rock solid. For backpacking I'd go smaller and lighter.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could like that setup alot! Congrats! I make due with a much larger Kifaru for all duties, but am thinking strongly of trying a smaller set up about like that.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Pointer, I ran a Mountain Warrior this year and never could get comfortable with it in the daypack roll. Switched to a smaller size and it makes a huge difference.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Dink, yes thats the Manfrotto 290. As you can see, its not a compact, and at 54 oz for the tripod only, its not a lightweight either. But for dayhunt who cares? I will gladly sacrifice the size and weight for the stability, which is solid as a rock. Even when fully extended and glassing standing up in strong wind its rock solid. For backpacking I'd go smaller and lighter.

Thanks. I have been thinking about buying one.

Dink

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Here's pics of the guide lid. There are dedicated sewn in straps on the pack specifically for the guide lid, however, with a short load the straps would slide down the sides of the pack causing the guide lid to slide down and not ride on the top. I fixed it by attaching the guide lid directly to the plastic common loops on the load lifter attachment point, locking it in place with quick clips.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

looks like it keeps it pretty tight to the top is there still a way to adjust the straps for length or did you cut them?

[Linked Image]

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Ackley, I did not cut the dedicated strap on the bag. Thats it in the first pic with the guide lid, the brown strap hanging in front of the shoulder strap. They are easly tucked away beween the bag and frame when not in use.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Ok...my lid comes from Kifaru attached to the common loops also so the straps won't slide off the sides but my bag attaches a little different for the load shelf!

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
On the Tahr, the lid straps can be routed through the common loops but then there will be several more inches of length taken up by the buckles so I opted to attach directly to the common loops to let it ride higher.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, I ran a Mountain Warrior this year and never could get comfortable with it in the daypack roll. Switched to a smaller size and it makes a huge difference.
i could see that woriing for me as well. Main reason I e stuck with the larger pack is that it works well enough and I'm cheap! Or broke which is kind of the same thing. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking pack system.

I like how the pocket can be placed on the pack.
I have the SpikeCamp It works, I'm wondering about another.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
very cool!!!

I absolutely love all my Kifaru stuff, its the only way to roll IMO.

Thanks for posting the guide lid photos, Ive been thinking of grabbing one but now they have the native lid coming out.

For day hunts Ive been using a Mystery ranch Pintler but Id really like to get a smaller Kifaru pack and ditch the Mystery Ranch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.