Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Back when I used to clean my brass I used walnut with a couple squirts of Flitz brass polish.

Glad I dont do much of that any more.

I am MAGA.
GB1

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I like clean and shiny brass as much as the next guy but I'll be darned if I'm going through the trouble of drying out brass. I've had great luck with walnut shell and a tablespoon of the Frankford Arsenal liquid polish added to the tumbler. Brass comes out of my old Dillon tumbler after about an hour that is so clean it is almost white in color. Use the pins and liquid if you want to complicate things and add a day to your prep timeline but if you are looking for simplicity stick go the vibratory/walnut/additive route.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I tumble brass in walnut from Petco before processing.

I tumble loaded ammo in corncob, also from Petco, to remove sizing lube.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use SS pins and liquid for cleaning. Crushed walnut shell are a royal pain in the ass. Takes a lot of time to pick them out of the flash holes. I let my cleaned brass dry out on newspaper for a couple day after cleaning.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I agree with Dusty digging the kernels out of the primer pocket was a royal pain. That is one of the reasons I went to crushed corncob.

IC B2

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What kind of walnut shell are you using that is clogging flash holes? I have never in my life had to dig out a flash hole. I am using the lizard bedding from one of the pet stores in both large and small rifle cases with no problems. Before the lizard bedding I had an old bag of walnut shell that I bought from Dillon in the late 80s. I inspect my cases each time prior to priming and have not experienced this clogging issue of which you speak.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've also been using lizard litter from the pet store but rethinking that decision after seeing some caked-media build up inside a tumbled case. I had to tap the case pretty firmly to dislodge it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I like white rice.....
Pros.....
Cheap and dust free
Does a great job.
I only treat it one time and it lasts 15 to 20 batches.
Cons.....
It's a little too big for 243 and smaller
After punching primers make sure the flash hole is clean.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BC3
What kind of walnut shell are you using that is clogging flash holes? I have never in my life had to dig out a flash hole. I am using the lizard bedding from one of the pet stores in both large and small rifle cases with no problems. Before the lizard bedding I had an old bag of walnut shell that I bought from Dillon in the late 80s. I inspect my cases each time prior to priming and have not experienced this clogging issue of which you speak.

I don't know what kind it was, I threw it out when I switched to the corncobs.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I tried the SS pins and did not like it, several cases in a batch would have pins wedged sideways in the primer pocket. Also did not like the water and having to let the cases dry. I have gone back to tumbling with media, the current Lyman material I'm useing is a pain as more than 50% of cases have media lodged in the flash hole. I going to get some coarser media to take care of this problem. Also tried Iosso liquid polish and don't like it, I'm going back to Mother's mag wheel polish.

I tumble with the primers in. My case prep center has a primer pocket cleaner so I use that instead of tumbling.

P
Same here

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll chime in here. I switched to SS pins from Guntap.com, they haven't gotten hung up in anything I've run, I final rinse with very hot water and place on patio table, in my dry climate they're usually dry in under an hour, and as already stated the wet process is a 1/5 the time of dry and cleaner. I hate the dust and digging cob or hulls outta the flash holes. YMMV

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to see the corn cob/lizard bedding/crushed walnut guys repeat my results I just had with my SS pins. I picked up some old brass that was over a year old at our local range here on the south end of baranof island. No overhead protection. Some of the brass I couldn't even read because it was so old. I could tell what it was though. My buddy and I knocked out the dirt/spruce needles and I ran them through my tumbler for 4 hours. I will take pics in the morning but they were spotless. 2/3 of this brass was badly miscolored and full of dirt. There were some pieces that were almost white they were so discolored. The SS pins got rid of all of it in 4 hours. I want to see one of the vibratory guys do the same.

I have them on a cookie sheet in my oven set at 170 with the door halfway open. They dry out super quick and it doesn't mess them up at all.

To each their own but I have yet to see any vibratory tumbler stack up to one using SS pins, especially when they are super dirty. I have used both.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I set mine out in the sun for a couple hours. Dry as a bone. Put in zip lock bags. I've cleaned thousands, only had one or two pins stick in a case.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just to add a bit of levity: a little person who was a fortune teller was charged with some offense. Her size allowed her to slip between the bars of her cell and escape. The next day's headline read "Small Medium at Large".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm on the SS pins for quite a while. I can process more brass and get it much cleaner than using the vibe or ultra-sonic. Hated the stuck cob in the flash holes of 50% of the brass and the fine walnut I had would leave fine dust all over/in the cases which wasn't doing my dies any favors. I licked the stuck pin in the flash hole issue by using a rotary media separator like so.
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-87076-Case-Media-Separator/dp/B000KKD1TW

The only thing I'm using the vibratory for now is moly coating bullets. I occasionally use the ultra sonic for small runs of 20-30 cases.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lizard litter

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For brass picked up, I use SS pins and rotary tumbler. For brass I've already cleaned, I used a vibratory tumbler with lizard litter with a cap full of NuFinish car wax.

Separating SS pins and water is a job that is better served outside on a hot day. In other words, it's a PITA to work with.

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The key for shine when using the walnut shell is the additive. 2 Tablespoons of the Frankford Arsenal liquid added to the media every once in a while is all that it takes (1 quart will last approximately 2 lifetimes). I'm not sure if the walnut wears out or not but when it takes on a grey color I'll dump it out and start fresh - just because. I fish the brass out of the media with my fingers and tap the case heads together to clear the pockets/cases of media. It works for me. I purchased some "once fired" 300 WSM brass that looked like it had just been picked up off of the battlefield of Verdun. 2 hours in the walnut shell with additive and it looked better than new. I'm sure the SS pins work just as well (an even better for the pockets) but I don't see a need for dealing with separating wet cases and then drying the mess out. To each his own.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still wondering about the need for "shiny" cases.
Clean, I understand.
Does shiny brass shoot more accurately?
If so you would think that all the Bench Rest guys would be buffing up their brass in between every bench reload.

One would think that the competition for the shiniest brass was a hobby in itself.

Last edited by NVhntr; 03/01/17.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I use my tumbler to clean the brass. The fact that they get shiny is a side benefit. For years I would reload my brass before cleaning it. My lube pad became filthy. Now, after I tumble brass, my little pad still looks new.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.