Print Thread
Hop To
F
fredIII Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a bunch of parts in route to add the ? Upgrade to my knight.
I will post pic as I go. There is an article about it in a magazine I have around here somewhere seems like a great way to go.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have. I went to it on my TC Renegade. I just bought a knight Disc. Extreme Western and put a peep on the back with a globe on the front. I bought the Lee Shaver globe insert kit from Brownells for both of these rifles too. Here is a link to a good article. It really increased the accuracy on my Renegade. I haven't shot my new Knight yet but I know it's going to be a real shooter.

Link

Last edited by lazydrifter; 02/18/17.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Two of my sons both hunt with Knights and they use the same setup on theirs also.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
My old eyes love peep sights, and for target, I like a globe front. For low light though, which is usually when the deer show up, I don't get enough light for a globe.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
For me, don't lend themselves to hunting situations if you are using a circle in front. It takes too long for target acqusition. Great for target work though. I suppose if you used a post insert in front that would work,but then you might as well stay with a regular blade or bead front sight.More light that way.
Only my experience though,YMMV

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/19/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

F
fredIII Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by saddlesore
For me, don't lend themselves to hunting situations if you are using a circle in front. It takes too long for target acqusition. Great for target work though. I suppose if you used a post insert in front that would work,but then you might as well stay with a regular blade or bead front sight.More light that way.

I was looking at the front fine cross hair and painting it white.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On those lee shaver inserts you can actually install 2 inserts in the globe sight. I went with fine crosshair and then the heavier duplex style one and it is just like looking thru a scope. I ordered some different aperatures for the rear peep from Midway so I could get the one that gave me the best visibility and that felt right.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I was looking at the front fine cross hair and painting it white.

That should work

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a fan of a globe front for hunting. Works fine for high contrast targets at the range, but for me, it just doesn't let enough light through. I took my tang and globe sighted high wall mule deer hunting & had a buck at about 125 yds in the open on an overcast day with brush behind him. Could not see deer through the globe. I could see him if the globe wasn't covering him but could not get a sight picture to take the shot. The globe front (Lyman I think) was equipped with a thin post. That was a "few" years ago when I was in my mid-40s and didn't need bifocals. Your eyes are different than mine, but test your setup in real life hunting conditions before you head afield. I pulled the globe and replaced it with a silver blade and get a much better sight picture.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kinda makes you understand the value of a combination front sight.[Linked Image]

Last edited by benchman; 02/19/17.
IC B3

F
fredIII Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm having trouble with light in the front globe as well just going to use the peep with the factory site. It looks Pretty good in a dark timber patch 😉

[Linked Image]

Last edited by fredIII; 02/23/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.