Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I started reloading in 2000 with an RCBS Rockchucker. The previous owner of our house left a workbench, and I mounted the Rockchucker to that. When I moved, I took the workbench with me. The bench was acceptably sturdy in its original location. It was bolted to the concrete foundation. In its new situation, it's screwed to a non-bearing studwall, and its flaws are showing. I'm thinking about making a new one based on the free plans that have been posted here and elsewhere-- nothing fancy, but sturdier that what I've got. I am also considering a facility for mounting multiple presses. The Rockchucker is fine, but I'm thinking exploring--perhaps a turret or progressive.

The reason for this thread, is that I would like to discuss the various means for accomodating interchangeable presses. For one, there's the Lee Bench Plate:

[Linked Image]

However, I've also seen various home-brew options.

1) The beveled:
[Linked Image]

2) The stepped:
[Linked Image]

3) The squared:
[Linked Image]

. . . and so on. I'm just wondering what y'all think of the various ideas and what experience you have with them.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just so you know, here is the current bench:

[Linked Image]

The powder measure, and case trimmer are currently mounted on a board that comes off with wingnuts. I'll save the upper shelving. They just sit on top of the surface. I'll probably maintain the same dimensions as the old table. Mostly, I'll be replacing 2X4's with 4X4, 3/4 inch plywood for the 5/16ths surfaces and using screws to replace nails. The original builder was a lawyer, not a carpenter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out Inlinefabrication.com, great press accessories and a great guy to deal with. I use the same mounts for my Rockchucker and Dillon 550b with simple plates attached to each.

All American

All the time
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found a bigger bench is handier so you can leave both presses and accessories set up. My current bench is 60" if I replace it will be at least 72". If you have room, I would go bigger.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good ideas

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
as long as there's no flex you'll be ok.
you should be near able to stand on the
handle of the press

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have my loading bench sitting in the middle of my living room. (Can you tell I'm a bachelor?) Being as it's a piece of furniture too, it isn't made of 2x6's and bolted to the floor. I built it with heavy ash underpinnings and mounted a 1 1/4x24x60" solid oak top on it, and gave it a furniture grade finish. (Hey, it's furniture.) Think of it as a very heavy table. On it I mount my presses which are bolted to 1" thick hardwood (teak, actually- hey it's furniture), 8" wide and which span the table from side to side, clamped in place when in use, stowed away when not. Ancillary gadgets like scales, trimmers, measure, etc. reside out of sight in dovetailed wooden foot locker-like chests (hey, it's furniture), as well as loading components in a dedicated closet. You can walk in and never know there is a 50 year accumulation of loading gear, and enough components to fuel the storming of Tarawa ensconced in the room.

I spent enough of my life hunched over loading benches in basements and garages to know I don't wish to relegate my hobby to those confines anymore.

Can I stand on the handle of my main press? Oh hell no, but I haven't had a need to stand on the handle of a press since circa 1978, and don't foresee it anytime soon. Full length sizing of gov't '06 brass (the largest cartridge I load for) doesn't torque the bench at all.

When company comes, I clear the decks, put place mats on the "bench", and entertain. The women who see it say "what a nice table"- little do they know its nefarious nature (or mine!).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. You've given me a chance to think about this.

Funny, but while this conversation progressed, it dawned on me that I might be getting in over my head. Technically? No. The idea of building a table of this nature doesn't faze me a bit. I really like Herr Gnoahhh's idea of doing it in the middle of the living room. However, that isn't practical at the moment.

I will also say Blacktailer's admonition is correct. Bigger is better. However, in my case, I kept the size of the bench constant and added surfaces to the left and right. As such, I'll have to keep the dimensions exactly the same or adjoining doors will not close.

No, the problem is the matter of getting the old table out and the new table in. Here, let me show you:

[Linked Image]

Probably, there is a solution short of sawing the old one up and building the new one in situ. I was hoping to re-purpose the old table to take my band saw. The problem now is figuring out the minimum amount of stuff that needs to be moved out of the way. I don't know if there's enough ammo there on the left to take Tarawa, but it's enough to give me pause. Everything you see in the foreground was moved in after the bench was in place.

It's a good thing I started this conversation. I'm glad I didn't start sawing.

Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So I started with a homemade version of the Lee concept. It works fine. But for the last 20 years or so I have just mounted all my presses to a chunk of 2x6 and used c clamps. More versatile as you are not tied to a specific location on the bench or even to a specific bench. The presses don't move in use.

Last edited by tominboise; 02/23/17.

Regards,

Tom
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Shaman... I have used the 'beveled method' for years. I even have my powder drop mounted on a 'slide-in'... and a 'slide-in' blank for use of a 'clean' bench'.
If you use wood or plywood make sure the material is at ambeient humidity of the reloading room otherwise you will develop some slop in the fitting of the 'slid-in' from shrinkage (the water was cold). I've had to deal with that problem and just put a screw in behind the press after it was in position to fix that.

I have 5 presses and this system serves me well,keeps my bench clear when needed. facillatates many uses and hides all the clutter when not in use. Good luck.

Larry

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V
Check out Inlinefabrication.com, great press accessories and a great guy to deal with. I use the same mounts for my Rockchucker and Dillon 550b with simple plates attached to each.

I'm not debating the suggestions of others in this thread as they all sound like good ideas and options. However, I agree with Stan V and believe Inlinefabrication to be one of my better finds when it comes to reloading mounting options and ideas.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Being a metalworker I made my own interchangeable mount years before they were commercially available. As for a sturdy bench I am using a Baker's table that I purchased from the unfinished furniture store. It has a thick laminated maple top, 4" x 4" legs and a couple of movable shelves. Cost was far less than what I would have been able to build it for. I have a couple more presses mounted on a microwave cart I purchased from a big box home center. This also has a substantial laminated top, sturdy legs, storage drawer and shelf. It also has lockable casters so I can move it into position for use or push it into the corner. I have extra plates for my mount to mount other accessories but so far I just clamp them where needed with a small quick acting bar clamp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I have my loading bench sitting in the middle of my living room. (Can you tell I'm a bachelor?) Being as it's a piece of furniture too, it isn't made of 2x6's and bolted to the floor. I built it with heavy ash underpinnings and mounted a 1 1/4x24x60" solid oak top on it, and gave it a furniture grade finish. (Hey, it's furniture.) Think of it as a very heavy table. On it I mount my presses which are bolted to 1" thick hardwood (teak, actually- hey it's furniture), 8" wide and which span the table from side to side, clamped in place when in use, stowed away when not. Ancillary gadgets like scales, trimmers, measure, etc. reside out of sight in dovetailed wooden foot locker-like chests (hey, it's furniture), as well as loading components in a dedicated closet. You can walk in and never know there is a 50 year accumulation of loading gear, and enough components to fuel the storming of Tarawa ensconced in the room.

I spent enough of my life hunched over loading benches in basements and garages to know I don't wish to relegate my hobby to those confines anymore.

Can I stand on the handle of my main press? Oh hell no, but I haven't had a need to stand on the handle of a press since circa 1978, and don't foresee it anytime soon. Full length sizing of gov't '06 brass (the largest cartridge I load for) doesn't torque the bench at all.

When company comes, I clear the decks, put place mats on the "bench", and entertain. The women who see it say "what a nice table"- little do they know its nefarious nature (or mine!).

Pictures, please? Sounds wonderful.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,292 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.