Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I recently got an itch to try a 10mm and bought a Glock 40. It sat in the safe for a few weeks and finally took it out to a friend's place. We put a 6" bull up at 50 yards and I shot three shots off hand, which resulted in surprisingly mild recoil and about a 2" group. Sight adjustment and three more resulted in another 2" group. Third adjustment and third 2" group. Only problem is it shoots about 12" high at 50 with full power loads so have a taller sight on order.

Shot about a 200 pound feral sow the next day and it went down and right now. I have more expensive semi pistols but none I like better than this so far. After a couple hundred rounds, I am impressed.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice. What ammo?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
GLOCK 40 Gen 4 Long Slide in the MOS configuration:

<><> https://us.glock.com/products/model/g40gen4mos <><>

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I was shooting Sig Sauer ammo rated at 1250 with 180s and handloads achieving about the same.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I like the 40, and have been thinking about buying one, but haven't justified it yet since I already have a 6" long slide 10mm on a gen3 SF frame. Wish they offered the 40 in a standard slide without the MOS cut though.

Just a side note, maybe you already know, but in that 6" barrel you can push 180's considerably faster than 1250 if you want to, either with Underwood ammo or handloads. In my longslide I'm mostly shooting 200's at 1325; those do 1250 in a stock G20 barrel.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Best semi auto for what?, is the bigger question

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I love my Glock40. The recoil is much easier to recover from and get back on target than the Glock20. I've shot nothing but factory ammo in handguns. However, my lovely bride gave me a Dillon XL 650 for Christmas. I've already spent more on improvements to the XL 650 than the the XL 650 cost new. If I had the $$$ I could easily drop another $1K on automation. You can get it fully automated where all you have to do is pull the lever. I think I've even seen a discussion about which motor to get to run the press. Fill up the auto case feed bin, the auto primer feed bin and the auto bullet feed bin, plug in all the auto feed parts and the press motor and sit there and watch it produce 700 ~ 800 rounds an hour. The most pressing thing would be to keep all the component bins full.

As it is, I'll be cranking out 9mm for my girls, and 10mm and .45 for myself. This Dillon Press is a fascinating machine. I've been loading for my rifles for almost 30 years. I have two Redding Ultramag presses bolted side by side on my bench. I don't yet trust the Dillon XL 650 to be able to control run-out on my longer bottle-neck rifle cases. In fact, I use an Arbor press and inline dies to reload for one of my rifles. Run out error is tiny...not enough to make a difference.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have an original Gen I model 29 which I managed to get about a year before it was officially released to the public. Have not shot it much..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
2 inch group at 25 yards off hand is impressive with iron sights.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I recently got an itch to try a 10mm and bought a Glock 40. It sat in the safe for a few weeks and finally took it out to a friend's place. We put a 6" bull up at 50 yards and I shot three shots off hand, which resulted in surprisingly mild recoil and about a 2" group. Sight adjustment and three more resulted in another 2" group. Third adjustment and third 2" group. Only problem is it shoots about 12" high at 50 with full power loads so have a taller sight on order.

Shot about a 200 pound feral sow the next day and it went down and right now. I have more expensive semi pistols but none I like better than this so far. After a couple hundred rounds, I am impressed.
For it's purpose, it's an awesome auto .. a lightweight, high cap, Model 57 S&W. Of course it can't match high end .41 Magnum loads, but that's mainly a range limit rather than a game limit.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Doubly so at 50 yards.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yep...
whistle love to see the video...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Doubly so at 50 yards.
I assumed he had a red dot sight on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Doubly so at 50 yards.
I assumed he had a red dot sight on it.

In the OP he says two inch groups offhand at FIFTY yards.

And Chris...... why would he be ordering a taller front sight to lower the group if he was using a red dot?

Regardless, it is damn good shooting, which is what I was pointing out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

For it's purpose, it's an awesome auto .. a lightweight, high cap, Model 57 S&W. Of course it can't match high end .41 Magnum loads, but that's mainly a range limit rather than a game limit.

For it's purpose...?

W T F does that mean?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Doubly so at 50 yards.

I am able to do it sometimes but not up to it always. I have in the past also done the same at 100 with 44 Mags but again some days I can and most days I can't and some guns aren't up to it. As I get older, I shoot about the same offhand and off the bench but used to shoot better offhand. I was "on" Saturday in regards to shooting and also hitting a beer can at 50 about one in four times with my compact single stack Glock 9mm (model 43 I think).

It's nothing spectacular but comes from shooting a few hundred thousand rounds offhand from 10 yards to 500 yards starting at a young age. I

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 02/24/17.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

For everything except concealed. I love this gun and have a temptation to do all my in state hunting over the next year with it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

For everything except concealed. I love this gun and have a temptation to do all my in state hunting over the next year with it.

I can conceal it in a concealment garment I found online. They sell shorts and long pants that have concealment pockets. The front pockets are sewn to fall more toward the inside of your leg where the natural hollow is. I carried my G40 like that for a week. I scared the [bleep] out of a customer when I put my hand in my pocket and pulled that G40 out. It does get cumbersome after while, but it's doable if that's what you want to carry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Doubly so at 50 yards.

I am able to do it sometimes but not up to it always. I have in the past also done the same at 100 with 44 Mags but again some days I can and most days I can't and some guns aren't up to it. As I get older, I shoot about the same offhand and off the bench but used to shoot better offhand. I was "on" Saturday in regards to shooting and also hitting a beer can at 50 about one in four times with my compact single stack Glock 9mm (model 43 I think).

It's nothing spectacular but comes from shooting a few hundred thousand rounds offhand from 10 yards to 500 yards starting at a young age. I

Compared to run of the mill shooters, like most of us, it really is spectacular shooting. Of course it takes practice but most will never reach that level.

Sam Colt did NOT make us equal. 😀

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Video and drill of the month.

Those are some clues.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

107 members (264mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 20 invisible), 1,165 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,476
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.