Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Not really backpack hunting, but I figured this is where the folks who'll know this stuff would be...

I currently have a pair of Asolo Sasslongs. LOVE THEM. There's just one problem....they no longer fit. Don't ask me how or why, but where they were fine when I got them, they're now feeling too small (length) and I'm jamming toes in them, moreso going downslope, but it's definitely a bad fit at this point.

I live and hunt in southeastern PA, and I have no plans to hunt sheep or anything of the like, however... I do hike around the area, and my area of PA has the Appalachian Trail through it. I use those areas a lot, and they're rocky. Really rocky. Our glacial deposits get frequent cursing from through hikers, lol.

So the real stiff sole on the Sasslongs has been a godsend when hiking over rocks (don't feel the damn rocks poking into my feet constantly).

I have Cabela's nearby...can probably spend a lot of time driving to various outdoor stores in the extended area (hour+ drive to various other options)....but what would folks who know the current boot market suggest?

The Sasslongs are great for what I want, they just are too small for me, so I'm looking for something quite similar. I know there are lighter boot options, but I honestly don't notice the weight on them, and the stability and support are just fantastic on rocky trails.

I haven't set a budget yet, but I do want to keep things south of 2 bills if possible. I won't rule out going higher, but 4-5-6 hundred dollar boots likely aren't an option for me.

Thanks!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Why not just get another pair of Sassalongs in a larger size?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
They were discontinued a while ago. I haven't seen any for sale for a long time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since the Asolos fit you you might try another model.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For the money Salomon Quest 4D's. They are normally around $230. I've been wearing a pair for several years. Someone posted a link to Sierria Trading post having them for $119 a few weeks ago. I bought a 2nd pair at that price and put them in the closet for later. I had a pair of Sassalongs a few years ago, I like the Solomon's a lot better.

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Back...3011&keywords=salomon+quest+4d+2+gtx

A little lighter duty, but I also like these Keens. I wear the Salomon boots when hiking or hunting. The Keen Targee II are used more for casual wear, but I'd not hesitate to use them on a trail.

https://www.rei.com/product/772930/keen-targhee-ii-mid-hiking-boots-mens

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
That's good info, thank you.

How does the sole on the Salomon's compare to the Sasslong?

I'm thinking long-term I'd like a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble's, but that may be a bit till I can throw 4 bills at boots.

I have a pair of Kenetrek Bridger mids that I use for casual/light duty. They are good for that. I don't think I'd want to do much hiking in them unless I was certain I wouldn't hit anything rocky, and it's pretty certain that rocks are on the menu when hiking in the mountains here.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
And STP has them for $119, but in very limited sizes, none of which fit me, lol.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm going back to the issue of the boots not fitting anymore. Assuming your foot didn't change...maybe the footbed in the boot broke down and doesn't fit your arch right anymore?

I have one set of boots that doesn't work without a set of SOLE insoles. Take the insoles out and use the OEM insole and my toes slam into the front no matter how tight I lace them. Put the SOLE in and the boots fit perfectly.

Just a thought. At this point, I pretty much only have boots that have either SOLE or SuperFeet in them. Damn these tall arches of mine...

Good luck!

Hunt Africa while you can
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hmmm...didn't think of that. May be time to try some SuperFeet. I have semi-tall arches, too.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rnovi
I'm going back to the issue of the boots not fitting anymore. Assuming your foot didn't change...maybe the footbed in the boot broke down and doesn't fit your arch right anymore?

I have one set of boots that doesn't work without a set of SOLE insoles. Take the insoles out and use the OEM insole and my toes slam into the front no matter how tight I lace them. Put the SOLE in and the boots fit perfectly.

Just a thought. At this point, I pretty much only have boots that have either SOLE or SuperFeet in them. Damn these tall arches of mine...

Good luck!

I have a pair of Asolo's that ,when bought, fit perfectly. After a year or so of getting wet and dry and heavy use they got tighter and tighter. I changed insoles and such. I think the outer leather shell shrunk and now the do not fit at all. Makes no sense , but that is my experience.

IC B3

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Feet can continue to grow even after reaching adulthood. Over the past 30 years, mine have gradually gone from 11.5 to 12.5. The last bit came right after I had really invested in boots. That sucked. Have you gotten your feet measured to see where you're at?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCH
Feet can continue to grow even after reaching adulthood. Over the past 30 years, mine have gradually gone from 11.5 to 12.5. The last bit came right after I had really invested in boots. That sucked. Have you gotten your feet measured to see where you're at?

Funny - me to. Feet been a 9 for all of my adult life. Until last year. I ended up with the dreaded black toe nail and didn't know why until I saw the giant callouse on my longest toe - the one with the black toe nail. Bought 3 pairs of new boots last summer. Sold one but still have the other 2. Hoping I'm good for a few more years 😎

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Yep, black 2nd toe nail on my right foot from that hike a couple weeks ago and a faint purple color on the left foot, same toe.

Have had it happen a couple times now with these Asolos, so I'm done.

My Meindls are feeling shorter than they used to, as well, but they're still not beating me up like the Asolo's do.

Not sure what I want to do just yet. Have had Kenetreks recommended, but they come with a price tag.

I looked at Salomon's at the local Cabela's. They're nice boots, but not what I am looking for. I'd really prefer an all-leather boot. The Salomon boot really didn't seem to lock in my ankle like the Asolo's do.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Time and gravity cause one's feet to get wider and longer....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
At 54 and 205 lbs, my feet are bigger than they were at 24 and 180 lbs ... so weight matters.

With that much wear, I'd relegate the Sassys to yard work and buy something else. STP does have some size limits, but will take returns. It's a game I'm willing to play.

Good luck!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think we are like old cows and things settle, like our arches. When they do, the foot gets longer. Don't think anything else does.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
Yep, black 2nd toe nail on my right foot from that hike a couple weeks ago and a faint purple color on the left foot, same toe.

Have had it happen a couple times now with these Asolos, so I'm done.

My Meindls are feeling shorter than they used to, as well, but they're still not beating me up like the Asolo's do.

Not sure what I want to do just yet. Have had Kenetreks recommended, but they come with a price tag.

I looked at Salomon's at the local Cabela's. They're nice boots, but not what I am looking for. I'd really prefer an all-leather boot. The Salomon boot really didn't seem to lock in my ankle like the Asolo's do.
If you're that tender maybe you aughtta just stay out of the mountains. I've probably hiked 10.000 miles in the Catskills and never wore anything but my hunting boots or everyday work boots.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by rnovi

Good luck!

I have a pair of Asolo's that ,when bought, fit perfectly. After a year or so of getting wet and dry and heavy use they got tighter and tighter. I changed insoles and such. I think the outer leather shell shrunk and now the do not fit at all. Makes no sense , but that is my experience.

I just put a pair of daily wear Keen's in the junk bin as they did the same thing, kind of. They fit great for almost a year then the past few months they've KILLED my feet at the end of the day. My feet were so tight in the shoes is was terrible. I just got a pair of Merrell's a half size bigger and I'm in good shape again.

A couple months ago I got a pair of Lowa Tibets. They seemed great for probably 10 miles but now I have an issue with the width. They could be up on the auction block soon.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Boots have a life span.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
N
N
I've been really really happy with a pair of Scarpa Kinesis pro GTX boots I bought last year. Retail for $330 but if you shop around you can find them online for less. For what it's worth I've also been happy with kenetrek, crispi and lowa boots, but for my foot (narrow and low volume) the Scarpa boots have been the best...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.