Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The "Zip Lock", bags alone are short term at best.
I've been using cling wrap, then bagging.
What is the best?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out my post on how I put up my ground deer.I use those twist tie bags for everything I put up in the freezer,then I put it in a ziplock,squeeze the air out and seal.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...How_I_Put_Up_My_Ground_Deer#Post11658564

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Small game and fish I freeze in a ziplock bag filled with water.Deer roasts I vacuum bag, Ground deer quart ziplocks with the air pressed out. I cooked some squirrel this week that was a year old and not freezer burned.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There is no way you can get the certainty and storage life of vacuum packed fish and game without vacuum packing it. Some brands of bags are better than others. If you have to wrap, tightly wrap in Saran Wrap (not all plastic wrap is created equal) then wrap tightly in good freezer paper.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MILES58
There is no way you can get the certainty and storage life of vacuum packed fish and game without vacuum packing it. Some brands of bags are better than others. If you have to wrap, tightly wrap in Saran Wrap (not all plastic wrap is created equal) then wrap tightly in good freezer paper.

Very true. I have found that any plastic bag will get holes in it if move around in a freezer.

Another variable is a frost free freezer vs a non frost free freezer.The non frost free will keep meat lot longer in terms of freezer burn.

Some cuts,I wrap in plastic and then freezer paper ,which also has a plastic side.Some only get freezer paper. Then when I put it in a freezer ( non frost free),I place 7-8 packages in a 2&1/2 gallon zip lock plastic bag. So most meat has three layers of plastic. If the outer bag gets a small hole in it from moving around, I still have very good protection.

The big bags make it a lot easier to manage meat instead of fumbling around all those single packages.

I presently have part of a moose, two elk,two deer and two antelope in my chest freezer. Past experience has shown me that the meat is good for 4-5 years so packaged.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Zip Lock bags just don't work well. I wrap tight in plastic wrap, then use the vac seal machine. Never fails to keep the food in good shape.

Sam......

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Zip Lock bags just don't work well. I wrap tight in plastic wrap, then use the vac seal machine. Never fails to keep the food in good shape.

What sort of problems mo you incur? I would not use them for primary protection

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I buy the Costco giant economy roll of plastic wrap for all my freezer wrapping chores.

All meat is up boneless, wrapped tightly in the plastic wrap and packed in zip=lock freezer bags. All air is squeezed out of the zip-lock bags before placing them into the freezer also.
Effective and minimum of freezer space used by wrap material.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore

not sure what your question is. Problem with zip lock bags, in my humble experience, is that they don't protect the food for longer term storage. Air leaks in. Even if you wrap the food in Saran wrap first. Vac sealed bags don't leak air.

Sam......

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Small game and fish I freeze in a ziplock bag filled with water.Deer roasts I vacuum bag, Ground deer quart ziplocks with the air pressed out. I cooked some squirrel this week that was a year old and not freezer burned.

I too use your method with ziplock bags for small game and fish. Would note to be sure you get freezer bags, not storage bags, as they are often mixed together at the local walmart.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Use real butcher paper as saddlesore says if you know it is going to be long term double wrap. Also temp matters a great deal also my freezers are runas cold as possible just checked them last week one is -27* one is -25* the newest is -35* have had meat last 6 years or more looks fresh as the day it was put in !!!!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Freezer bags

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I vac pack everything. Put it in a non frost free freezer. Eat like a King.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Double plastic wrap then freezer paper for me. Lasts well. I vacuum pack fish but not meat...

Get out there and mix 'em up!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Vac it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U guys can get the air out ,by putting the bag under water,if we don't vac it the wife wraps in that clear sranwrap, then the white paper ..and seals that with a iron ,

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MILES58

Very true. I have found that any plastic bag will get holes in it if move around in a freezer.

Another variable is a frost free freezer vs a non frost free freezer.The non frost free will keep meat lot longer in terms of freezer burn.

Some cuts,I wrap in plastic and then freezer paper ,which also has a plastic side.Some only get freezer paper. Then when I put it in a freezer ( non frost free),I place 7-8 packages in a 2&1/2 gallon zip lock plastic bag. So most meat has three layers of plastic. If the outer bag gets a small hole in it from moving around, I still have very good protection.

The big bags make it a lot easier to manage meat instead of fumbling around all those single packages.

I presently have part of a moose, two elk,two deer and two antelope in my chest freezer. Past experience has shown me that the meat is good for 4-5 years so packaged.

^^^ What those guys said.

I'll add two things.

For short term plastic wrap and then aluminum foil works very well. It's way better than plastic and zip loc bags.

If you all you have is a frost free freezer putting the packages in a cardboard box or plastic tub will help prevent freezer burn and greatly increase the longevity.

At one time I'll I had was a refrigerator/freezer and after years of experimentation I found that vac packed fish in a 12 pack beer box would keep as long as I needed without freezer burn.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

not sure what your question is. Problem with zip lock bags, in my humble experience, is that they don't protect the food for longer term storage. Air leaks in. Even if you wrap the food in Saran wrap first. Vac sealed bags don't leak air.

Absolutely right. Just threw out several nice NY strips that had gotten freezer burned in Ziploc bags. Nary a hole in the bag, either.

I'm done with them for freezer work, unless it's just short term, no more than a couple months.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
ziplocks are good for maybe a month or less

plastic wrap tight , then freezer, buthcher paper, store in small card board boxes.

have not had good luck with vacuum sealers

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
oh and fish do ok frozen water in ziplock

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.